PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idling after timing belt, and squealing alternator?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2017, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough idling after timing belt, and squealing alternator?

Hi guys,

I'm new around here but I've lurked for a long time and tried searching for all the answers I need... I've found some but not all.

I replaced the timing belt on my girlfriends 05 convertible, turbo, automatic. She was pushing 110k on the stock belt. Also did an oil change and new motor mount struts, and some other needed things like replacing the cracked AC line up top by the power steering and radiator cap.... New hoses,tstat for radiator too. It was a few months ago, and it had been sitting for a lot longer before, I will try to remember what else I did.

Anyway I got the new timing belt on and started the engine carefully to make sure I did it right, it ran OK except the idle is ROUGH. sounds like a cylinder is missing every cycle and there is a horrible screech squealing noise. The noise I think I tracked down, someone here suggested spraying brake cleaner on the belts to see if it temporarily stops... The car is all put together again so I tested it with some water as I was washing the leaking radiator fluids away and it stops when I hit the alternator belt. Is the belt too loose or out of alignment or what? Either way, I'm extremely glad it stops and isn't a spun bearing or something worse. I think its a new belt, all that is involved with the timing belt, I decided to replace anything else along the way as far as I recall...

My reader is an actron CP9125

The car spits out two codes on my reader: P0700, which means "Transmission Control System Malfunction", from what I've read here that means there are more errors that cause that code.

It also has P0562, system voltage low. I forgot to pull the battery before letting it sit. I will take care of that...

After scrolling down further, the reader says: 02 htr, 02 snsr, evac, catlyst. These are under the inspection / maintenance monitor section. There are also misfire, fuel, and comp.

The AC system is vacuumed right now, not charged. I'm assuming that takes care of evac.

Does anyone here know of a cheap radiator for these? Its leaking at the plastic tanks.

Thanks guys!

----
After writing this, it now also throws p0016, after starting again. News to me. The book for the reader says is Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation Sensor A - Bank 1. Searching here, I get this from ptcrusiersteve:
Quote:
P0016 - Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment :

Possible Causes:
Camshaft timing is not correct
Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor signal is erratic
Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor, harness or connector has failed
PCM has failed

I would suggest using a vacuum gauge for reading, if the belt is off a tooth it will reflect in either a very high idle HG or very low.
An engine that is in good condition will idle between 16-18 steady on most 2.4 engines.
When I did the timing belt, I followed this site and the haynes manual as best as I could. I *did* spray water near the alternator belt, maybe my dumbarse got the sensor wet? This is the first time it threw this code, earlier today it was just the priors.

Increasing the rpm the miss improves and goes away altogether part time the higher I go, keeping it at 1200 it misses some then tries to improve. I believe I replaced the spark plugs and wires, could one be loose or corrosion on the point/etc?

Last edited by rhkcommander; 26 Jan 2017 at 08:52 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 12:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idling after timing belt, and squealing alternator?

Sorry to hear your PT Cruiser is not doing so well. After the timing belt is installed the image below has two inner marks painted red on the camshaft gears even with the center-line of both camshaft gears. The green line is just a reference line to show you to ignore the outer camshaft marks. Ignore the green line, the outer camshaft marks and only make sure the two red inner marks are aligned up with the center-line of the two camshafts gears.

Did yours look like this before you put it all back together?
Camshaft Gear alignment for timing belt.jpg
rhkcommander likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Jan 2017 at 04:53 pm.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 02:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, approximately. I know that isn't the greatest answer but I lined up the two marks that are nearest, I dont recall there being another set of marks on the opposite sides.

Would a tooth off allow it to run fine at high rpm but idle crappy? It moves pretty good until it hits the limp-mode governor, but the idle misses badly

I took video of it idling, and I'm looking for pictures of the cam gears when I replaced the belt, if that helps

-------
Reading similar threads below this one (nice feature!) several threads are all saying rough idle after timing belt - tooth off. Guess I gotta tear the tire and side off again anyways to fix the alternator belt
I only have a harbor feight compression tester, i dont trust it either. I was reading to check the compression, if the timing is off it will be odd pressures

Last edited by rhkcommander; 27 Jan 2017 at 02:28 am.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 03:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhkcommander View Post
Yes, approximately. I know that isn't the greatest answer but I lined up the two marks that are nearest, I dont recall there being another set of marks on the opposite sides.

Would a tooth off allow it to run fine at high rpm but idle crappy? It moves pretty good until it hits the limp-mode governor, but the idle misses badly

I took video of it idling, and I'm looking for pictures of the cam gears when I replaced the belt, if that helps

-------
Reading similar threads below this one (nice feature!) several threads are all saying rough idle after timing belt - tooth off. Guess I gotta tear the tire and side off again anyways to fix the alternator belt
I only have a harbor feight compression tester, i dont trust it either. I was reading to check the compression, if the timing is off it will be odd pressures
Looking forward to your posting the pictures!
Old 27 Jan 2017, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Sorry to hear your PT Cruiser is not doing so well. The image below has two red inner marks on the camshaft gears even with the center of both camshaft gears. Did yours look like this before you put it all back together?
Attachment 20303
I'm new at this timing belt thing and am in the process of installing my first one. But aren't the two notches in the sprockets supposed to align with each other as well as a line through the center of the sprocket bolt? I've read the outer two marks don't enter into the situation. Could be wrong but it appears yours are out of alignment.

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 27 Jan 2017, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVC View Post
I'm new at this timing belt thing and am in the process of installing my first one. But aren't the two notches in the sprockets supposed to align with each other as well as a line through the center of the sprocket bolt? I've read the outer two marks don't enter into the situation. Could be wrong but it appears yours are out of alignment.
Your measurement is correct in that a straight edge across the center of the sprocket bolts will line up with the markers on the sprocket gears.

Steve' illustration shows correct timing alignment, his green line appears to be slightly below the timing marks, if you move his line up to be across the marks, the green line would cross thru the center of the sprocket bolts.

In any event, always check it by rotating the crankshaft two revolutions and back to TDC and recheck sprocket alignment to make sure it's timed correctly. If you refill the coolant, you can also start it and let it idle for a few seconds to make sure it idles properly before closing everything back up.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 11:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robadat View Post

In any event, always check it by rotating the crankshaft two revolutions and back to TDC and recheck sprocket alignment to make sure it's timed correctly.
This is key. You must check it before reassembling things or you'll most likely be taking all apart again.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 12:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
This is key. You must check it before reassembling things or you'll most likely be taking all apart again.
First time I put the belt on, everything looked good. After turning the engine, it lost alignment, figured out I was off on the crankshaft by a tooth. Took me three tries putting the belt on before I finally got it right. After I put it all back together and started it, engine ran terrible. It turned out to be one of the vacuum lines got mangled at some point during the surgery...temporarily repaired the leak with some electrical tape, engine idled and ran beautifully. I have since replaced the cracked hose.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 02:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Happy to hear you didn't have to tear it back down. Congratulations!

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 02:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Happy to hear you didn't have to tear it back down. Congratulations!
Bet you weren't as happy as I was when it started right up and purred like a kitten after I taped up that stupid vacuum line...

Dreaded the thought of starting the work over again, would have rather had a root canal...