Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By dsab
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By Imakenocents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2017, 11:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Replacement

So I bought my 2002 PT the beginning of December and was going to take some time off in March to replace the timing belt and a whole list of other things. Well the car didn't want to wait. Thursday the timing belt quit so this weekend I replace it and the related components.

The total job isn't quit done as I need/want to replace some other things while I have it apart. These are the torque struts, they are shot and the engine mount.
I''ll also be doing belts, tensioner, and hoses. The parts will be delivered on the 1st so I plan on taking Wed and Thurs off to finish everything up

I've done timing belts/chains in the past and I'm either a bit rusty or this is actually the worst timing belt job I've ever done.

I did start the car tonight and it seems to run just fine. I wasn't able to let it run too long or run the RPMs up much as I was only running off the battery and the engine is supported on a jack.
rckstein and VsandFords like this.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement

One of the tell-tale signs of doing it right is a smooth idle. If you have that, take a step back and pat yourself on the back.
VsandFords likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 09:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Timing Belt Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsab View Post
So I bought my 2002 PT the beginning of December and was going to take some time off in March to replace the timing belt and a whole list of other things. Well the car didn't want to wait. Thursday the timing belt quit so this weekend I replace it and the related components.

The total job isn't quit done as I need/want to replace some other things while I have it apart. These are the torque struts, they are shot and the engine mount.
I''ll also be doing belts, tensioner, and hoses. The parts will be delivered on the 1st so I plan on taking Wed and Thurs off to finish everything up

I've done timing belts/chains in the past and I'm either a bit rusty or this is actually the worst timing belt job I've ever done.

I did start the car tonight and it seems to run just fine. I wasn't able to let it run too long or run the RPMs up much as I was only running off the battery and the engine is supported on a jack.
Good job! I have a few of these 2002's and yes the timing belt is a tedious job but you seem to have conquered the quest. I have a special needs daughter that lives in a Prader-Willie home at Oconomowoc, Wi. We travel back and forth there at least once a month to visit.
chuzz likes this.