Advertisements
Check engine light

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2017, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check engine light

I have a 2004 cruiser with a 2.4 liter engine. The check engine light keeps coming on for a cylinder 1 misfire. My mechanic has changed spark plugs and installed new wires. Again the light has come on. The engine is actually running pretty good for having 140,000 miles. Any ideas what is going on here?
Old 02 Feb 2017, 10:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Check engine light

Some more info requested please. How long have you owned the car? Did the problem just recently develop? Any recent maintenance performed other than what you mentioned in your post? How did you determine you had a #1 cylinder misfire? Code reader? Mechanic diagnosis? Was the timing belt recently replaced or ever been replaced for that matter? Although, I don't think the original belt would have made it to 140,000 miles. Have you performed a spark test for the cylinder in question? If you indeed have a cylinder #1 misfire and you are getting good spark then you may have a fuel injector issue but all these suggestions need to be eliminated one at a time. Finally a compression check on all cylinders after the above items have been eliminated and then if indicated a leak down check. A reputable mechanic could do these for you if you are not qualified to do these tests. Additionally, as a new member you should go to the welcome new members part of the forum and introduce yourself so you get the full benefit of members seeing you have joined the forum. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Last edited by Imakenocents; 02 Feb 2017 at 10:38 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2017, 01:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light

If you find the engine compression is low you might want to try getting it decarbonized with the water treatment.

DECARBONIZING ENGINE WITH WATER

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 03 Feb 2017 at 01:40 am.
Old 03 Feb 2017, 12:58 pm
Young Cruiser

If it were mine the 1st thing I'd do is a seafoam treatment to the intake manifold with engine running. Sometime carbon deposits build up on back sides of intake valves and soak up fuel that's supposed to make it into the combustion chamber. Seafoam will get rid of that.

If that didn't help, pull the #1 spark plug to have a look at it. Maybe it's just a bad plug. EDIT: I reread your mechanic already changed the plugs and wires. Not the coil pack though. Could be that as well. Next, I'd do a compression test.

I'd also shoot the wiring from the injector connector to the PCM just to be sure it's not rubbed through somewhere shorted. Wiggle the harness as you check for shorts, as sometimes they're intermittent and make contact with the roughness of the road. If it checked good I'd go ahead and change the injector, since the upper manifold is off at that point anyhow.

Last edited by 03PTCrewser; 03 Feb 2017 at 01:11 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2017, 01:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

sea foam is fun!

i'd try the water method though, it's free!

i had an interesting seafoam experience with my PT: i've never been scared by seafoam before.
Old 03 Feb 2017, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
sea foam is fun!
i'd try the water method though, it's free!
i had an interesting seafoam experience with my PT:
Guess you have not seen the "baby oil" video yet?
PTSantaCruz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN