• 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By rob302
  • 3 Post By Imakenocents
  • 1 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2017, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Question on balance shaft chain

No better place to ask this question than right here on the forum. Does the balance shaft chain on these cars get loose over time and/or mileage? I think I have one making some noise and I think I'm going to drop the pan and check it out. I was looking at the service manual that some generous member posted to the sticky portion of the forum just to see if it is adjustable and indeed it would appear that's the case. Have any you folks on here done this adjustment? If it does become loose is it most likely wear in the gear teeth that cause the issue?
Old 03 Feb 2017, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question on balance shaft chain

Here's an old posts that talks about it......

Balance Shaft - Routine Maintenance

Balance shaft removal.

Balance shaft failure?
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Feb 2017 at 08:04 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2017, 08:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i've never seen this asked here. please let us know your findings.

seems if you can fill the void with shims from a disassembled feeler gauge, your measurement minus 0.039 would be the excess

normally with TIMING chains, the chain stretches...but i safely assume you know that. seeing as there are 16 valve springs causing resistance, that is understandable.

i would ASSume that with the balance shafts, it would be similar to my lincoln, where the timing chain could slap a little while cold due to worn guides that look eerily similar to the b.s. tensioner the PT. it was annoying to some people, yet harmless. i didn't mind because i knew both what it was and that it was harmless. on the PT i would also assume the noise was harmless(if that is in fact what you hear)

i'd check more than the b.s. chain while you're in there though. at over a quarter of a million miles mine was still quiet...and i beat the hell out of the car

Capture.jpg

Last edited by rob302; 03 Feb 2017 at 08:20 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2017, 08:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Question on balance shaft chain

Here is a video of the exact condition I believe mine has but I'll know when I get it apart.

Old 03 Feb 2017, 09:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i put a comment on the video to ask if that fixed the noise. Also invited the author to join us because I liked his reply
rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 03 Feb 2017 at 09:22 pm.
Old 04 Feb 2017, 06:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Unfortunately I won't be able to drop my oil pan for a while I have to travel to Niagara next week to train some folks. Probably be mid February before I get back on it. I have driven this car about 600 hundred miles since I replaced the cylinder head and there are no other issues. Oil is still at the full mark and there is no blow by. I strongly suspect I will find the chain to be sloppy loose.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 10:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I finally got around to dropping my oil pan and checking out the crankcase internal parts. I did find the balance shaft chain to be as loose as the one in the video I posted earlier. However, I can't find my feeler gauge. Don't you just hate that when a tool comes up missing and I'm probably the one that misplaced the thing to begin with. So Monday I guess I will go buy another feeler gauge to get the correct tension on the balance shaft chain and then put it back together and check the results. I will let the forum know the outcome.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 01:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

I set the balance shaft chain tensioner to the proper tension. Before I started, the guide side of the chain was so loose that it actually had a link tilted over rather than hang in a straight vertical line just before it contacted the balance shaft gear. After getting it all back together I still have some chatter for about 60 to 90 seconds on a cold start but this is the engine that had severely overheated with zero compression before repairs were made on the top end. After that initial cold start it gets much quieter than before the chain tension adjustment was made. In hindsight I do believe I have some wrist pin chatter on the cold starts, probably from the overheat from before. I did have some shadow scoring, no gouging, in the piston bores from the start. Rings are sealing okay, I have virtually no blow by or oil consumption after 1000 miles of driving. I'll drive it as long as it will go and since the body is so nice if the engine does fail I will most likely get a replacement from LKQ with lower miles. In conclusion I would definitely recommend a look at the balance shaft chain tension on these engines with higher mileage. Not bad work taking off the oil pan and easy to get at the area of concern.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 09:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

the guy in the video above has finished his engine and replied that this fixed the noise
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 12:34 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakenocents View Post
I set the balance shaft chain tensioner to the proper tension. Before I started, the guide side of the chain was so loose that it actually had a link tilted over rather than hang in a straight vertical line just before it contacted the balance shaft gear. After getting it all back together I still have some chatter for about 60 to 90 seconds on a cold start but this is the engine that had severely overheated with zero compression before repairs were made on the top end. After that initial cold start it gets much quieter than before the chain tension adjustment was made. In hindsight I do believe I have some wrist pin chatter on the cold starts, probably from the overheat from before. I did have some shadow scoring, no gouging, in the piston bores from the start. Rings are sealing okay, I have virtually no blow by or oil consumption after 1000 miles of driving. I'll drive it as long as it will go and since the body is so nice if the engine does fail I will most likely get a replacement from LKQ with lower miles. In conclusion I would definitely recommend a look at the balance shaft chain tension on these engines with higher mileage. Not bad work taking off the oil pan and easy to get at the area of concern.
Is there anything else needs to be removed besides an oil pan?