Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By thecabinguy
  • 2 Post By thecabinguy
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2017, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default A/C Not Working After Timing Belt Replacement

I tried to find some information regarding the A/C not working after the timing belt replacement at my local dealer that did the work but I couldn't find any definitive information. Took the '02 in for the belt replacement. All was fine until tried to use the A/C about a month after the work and it would not work. The A/C worked perfect when the car was taken it to the dealer. Went back to dealer and they said that they didn't have to evacuate the system and said that this was not their doing. Is this possible?
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 12 Feb 2017, 02:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Not Working After Timing Belt Replacement

I had the same problem after my timing belt was replaced and issue was the mechanic failed to reconnect the power for the AC compressor. The mechanic that worked on my car also advised that he did not remove the AC lines while replacing the timing belt.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 09:20 am
Regular Cruiser

It is common to damage the hoses when they are pulled on to manipulate the engine on it's mounts to do this job. usually the suction hose on the downstream side of the crimp. The Freon gas then leaks out over a period of days or weeks. Check the system for pressure and if not present, pull a vacuum and see if it holds. You may find a damaged hose that will need to be replaced.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 11:34 am
Cool Cruiser

delete
chuzz likes this.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock

Last edited by thecabinguy; 12 Feb 2017 at 12:04 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 11:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Got the PT back from the dealer after taking it back due to the A/C not working after the timing belt replacement. All went fine. Dealer discovered that they forgot to fill the A/C with freon. A/C works great now and no charge by the dealer. The original service advisor I spoke with saying they didn't have to evacuate the A/C was wrong; they did. I got the manager involved. That did the trick.
rckstein and ptprice like this.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 12:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
Got the PT back from the dealer after taking it back due to the A/C not working after the timing belt replacement. All went fine. Dealer discovered that they forgot to fill the A/C with freon. A/C works great now and no charge by the dealer. The original service advisor I spoke with saying they didn't have to evacuate the A/C was wrong; they did. I got the manager involved. That did the trick.
Your end result is exactly what I would have suggested. Coincidentally, the same thing happened to SOOO BIG after his timing belt replacement. I learned the hard way. After A/C disconnect it must be evacuated, refilled with Freon and checked for leaks. If it acts up again insist on new line seals where there was a disconnect. That should be S.O.P. If you go high enough up the food chain you usually get results. I'm glad you did.

Happy PTin', ptprice
thecabinguy likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.