Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cruserdad1976
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2017, 12:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default A/C Not Working After Timing Belt Replacement

Hey, all, wondering if some one can help me. I tried to find some information regarding the A/C not working after the timing belt replacement at my local dealer that did the work but I couldn't find any definitive information. Took the '02 in for the belt replacement. All was fine until tried to use the A/C about a month after the work and it would not work. The A/C worked perfect when the car was taken it to the dealer. Went back to dealer and they said that they didn't have to evacuate the system and said that this was not their doing. Is this possible?
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 06 Feb 2017, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Not Working After Timing Belt Replacement

Yes it is possible you do NOT HAVE to drain the AC system Some will say it makes it a lot easier but at a dealer id say maybe they didn't but I am goanna say they did have to wrestle the lines around as the TB is a Giant Pain
Id say the some how broke a seal or a O ring and the Freon leaked out
I would add the dye and see exactly where it is leaking and if it is any place by where they were working you know it was on them you may never get them, to pay for it but you will at least know the truth
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 06 Feb 2017, 12:48 pm
Banned

I believe evacuating the a/c is one of the steps in timing belt replacement, according to the manual, which is what the dealership should be using as their repair bible. The fact that others may have done it without evacuating the system, shouldn't be a reason for a dealership to cut corners.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 06 Feb 2017, 01:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. Tomorrow I have an app't with the dealer. Will post back the results of this issue.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 06 Feb 2017, 04:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
Thanks for the responses. Tomorrow I have an app't with the dealer. Will post back the results of this issue.
Is this appointment to have your vehicle looked at, or a discussion with the Service Manager? If I were you, I would try to get a copy of the section from the Field Service Manual pertaining to the work they did. I only have the manual for my PT, so it may be a little different for yours. If they are actually looking at your vehicle, they should be able to tell pretty quickly if the a/c has any freon in it, it may just need to be serviced. If it just needs to be serviced, I would probably not try to make them pay the full bill, but offer to split it with them, a little compromise by both parties can go a long way to resolving a matter, rather than trying to blame it all on the shop.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 08 Feb 2017, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
All was fine until tried to use the A/C about a month after the work and it would not work. The A/C worked perfect when the car was taken it to the dealer.
quite big time to not do anything about it..
sometimes something get broken when you are lefting the garage.
it does not mean that they do something wrong.
faults does not warn you, they just come and they dont ask time and place