Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
transmission control module Cost?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2017, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default transmission control module Cost?

Our 2007 PT Cruiser is at the shop and the mechanic just texted me saying that the car gave him the code for Transmission Control Module.

I would like to know if anyone has any idea how much this is going to cost? We've had this car since November and we love it, however, after our Google search, we're a bit scared. It seemed that the PT Cruiser has a lot of transmission related problems, at least from the Search results.

This is the only major problem we've had with this car. Thanks!
Old 11 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: transmission control module Cost?

The PT Cruiser DOES NOT have lots of transmission problems. Keep in mind that there was over 1 million manufactured, statistically speaking the transmission related issues for that many vehicle is very low.

I suggest to have your PT Cruiser taken to a TRANSMISSION shop because you should have gotten more then 1 transmission related code.

It reads, that is your posted information the shop only use a standard Diagnostic scanner and not something more in line like a DRBII, Snape-on or higher level Diagnostic scanner with advance ECU OBDII or CANbus diagnostic connector scanning capabilities.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Feb 2017, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The PT Cruiser DOES NOT have lots of transmission problems. Keep in mind that there was over 1 million manufactured, statistically speaking the transmission related issues for that many vehicle is very low.

I suggest to have your PT Cruiser taken to a TRANSMISSION shop because you should have gotten more then 1 transmission related code.

It reads, that is your posted information the shop only use a standard Diagnostic scanner and not something more in line like a DRBII, Snape-on or higher level Diagnostic scanner with advance ECU OBDII or CANbus diagnostic connector scanning capabilities.
Thanks for letting me know that. Quite frankly I hate when we have to google things because it always sounds so much worse.

The car's been at our mechanic's twice this week. He'd replaced two sensors, on Wednesday. We got the car back on Thursday and had to be sent back yesterday. We thought our mechanic would be better than trying the dealer. But I'll make sure to send the car to a Transmission shop then.

Thank you!
Old 11 Feb 2017, 12:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope they find your problem and that it is an easy an inexpensive repair for you.
Please post up what the resolve was.

It may help you in the future try to find service shops that have ASE certified technicians. Look for the BLUE ASE sign on the shops storefront,certification on the wall of the service office and at the service technicians work area.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Feb 2017, 01:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I hope they find your problem and that it is an easy an inexpensive repair for you.
Please post up what the resolve was.

It may help you in the future try to find service shops that have ASE certified technicians. Look for the BLUE ASE sign on the shops storefront,certification on the wall of the service office and at the service technicians work area.
Our mechanic's quite good. However he specializes in Chevy's and Fords. We used to own a Ford Focus before we got the PT Cruiser. So I'm wondering if that has something to do with him not finding this problem earlier. We will definitely check out the transmission places near by and check at our mechanic's for those signs. I know he has a bunch of things on the wall in his office, so will definitely go in and snoop around. lol.

However will definitely let you know when we get the car back. I'm just glad I found this forum when we bought the car. It's nice to be able to talk to other owners and get some advice.
Old 11 Feb 2017, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkay View Post
Our 2007 PT Cruiser is at the shop and the mechanic just texted me saying that the car gave him the code for Transmission Control Module.

I would like to know if anyone has any idea how much this is going to cost? We've had this car since November and we love it, however, after our Google search, we're a bit scared. It seemed that the PT Cruiser has a lot of transmission related problems, at least from the Search results.

This is the only major problem we've had with this car. Thanks!
From what I have read about the transmissions is that people have had some problems with theirs. However I have noticed one common thread - high miles. Nothing lasts forever. That said, just as an example it's quite common to have them last for years with no problems. I have two PTs, a '02 LTD (bought new) and '05 (bought two years old). Both cars have 100,000 miles plus and both original trannies working as they always have. I just drive carefully and keep them serviced on time. So it is quite possible to have an automatic transmission last a very long time.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock

Last edited by thecabinguy; 11 Feb 2017 at 02:06 pm.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 02:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
From what I have read about the transmissions is that people have had some problems with theirs. However I have noticed one common thread - high miles. Nothing lasts forever. That said, just as an example it's quite common to have them last for years with no problems. I have two PTs, a '02 LTD (bought new) and '05 (bought two years old). Both cars have 100,000 miles plus and both original trannies working as they always have. I just drive carefully and keep them serviced on time. So it is quite possible to have an automatic transmission last a very long time.
Ours is a 2007 and around 88k miles. The mechanic had said the transmission was fine when we first got it and took it to him to check it. However, I'm not sure if this non-shifting gears will have an adverse reaction on it.

Our mechanic finally got back to us today. The car's been shifting gears for them. They've driven it around all week and it has been working fine. He advised us to take it to the Dealer because he thinks it could be the computer of the car. So my husband's going to make an appointment for it be checked at the dealer.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The dealer called my husband. Apparently they need to put in a new filter, though the Husband didn't really know what sort of filter when I asked him. I'm grateful that the cost is around 600 and not in the thousands, we the husband thought.

Thanks for your comments!
Old 20 Feb 2017, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkay View Post
The dealer called my husband. Apparently they need to put in a new filter, though the Husband didn't really know what sort of filter when I asked him. I'm grateful that the cost is around 600 and not in the thousands, we the husband thought.

Thanks for your comments!
Wow! Can you scan the paperwork and post it? We would like to see what kind of a filter would cost $600 for the filter and installation plus diagnosis.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Wow! Can you scan the paperwork and post it? We would like to see what kind of a filter would cost $600 for the filter and installation plus diagnosis.
My husband got a call today from the dealer, not only they're changing the famous filter, he said there was something wrong with the RPM and that they need to fix it and they're also changing the sensors our mechanic had already changed because they're not manufactured by Chrysler. I'm really thinking that the dudes doing the diagnostic have noticed my husband doesn't know much about cars and are taking him to the cleaners. He's calling in the morning to "explain" further. So I asked my husband to get the dude to call me so I can do a search in the forum as he speaks.

As soon as I get the paperwork I'll post it. I'm feeling like we're getting stiffed by the dealer people.