PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
how many miles till gas light?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2017, 02:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default how many miles till gas light?

so rather than get into exact mpg's... how many miles till your gas light comes on? pretty sure I hit 310 miles on a road trip before the major eingine work...so-

2005 limited edition 2.4l non turbo auto w/ both seats in and tires at 38psi around town seems to always come on at 289/90. once I did get to 299 but I actually tried...

but I met a fella w/2001 non turbo- he said lite comes on and 220/40 and claimed 22/24mpg. no way....really? (I forget which model...im blanking but it was auto 2.4 n/a)
Old 12 Feb 2017, 02:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: how many miles till gas light?

That question really can't be answered as everybody drives differently.
The light will come on when you 1 gallon left...other than that, it's just a guess.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 Feb 2017, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...and your doing yourself no favors driving till that light comes on. As said many, many times, the fuel pump located in the bottom of the gas tank is cooled and lubricated by the gas itself. Running that low can only do harm and shorten the life of that pump.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 04:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

our light comes on at a indicated 1/4 tank. the gauge itself is not the best unit but we still have about 3gallons when it comes on. I know everyone drives different.... there are quite a few variables as well. still curious how many miles others have on the trip meter when it comes on, to those who pay attention.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 04:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
That question really can't be answered as everybody drives differently.
The light will come on when you 1 gallon left...other than that, it's just a guess.
It can be answered. its not a guess to those who zero the trip meter at fill ups....
Old 12 Feb 2017, 05:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'd be a bit nervous if my gas light came on in any vehicle. There also has to be the assumption the gauge is reading accurately. When I start getting close to 1/4 I fill up. I also track my mileage so even if my gauge should fail I have a point where I know I need to re-fuel
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 06:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
That may be the way it should be but.....

I checked the build sheet for my '01 LE Auto and it lists a 15 gal tank.

Filling it until the pump clicks off [and another just to be sure it's full] has the gas gauge barely read "full" [and even then the width the the needle doesn't overlap the full line].

The low fuel light comes on not long after the needle is in the reserve [red mark] on the gauge [or last 1/8th].

I'm hard pressed to get 10 gals in it.
I've gotten close to 12 gals, but had to drive some distance with the low fuel light on to do this.

Since I've only had the PT for 2 years, one of these days I may fill up a gas can and see how many gals it takes after it runs out.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 07:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS View Post
That may be the way it should be but.....

I checked the build sheet for my '01 LE Auto and it lists a 15 gal tank.

Filling it until the pump clicks off [and another just to be sure it's full] has the gas gauge barely read "full" [and even then the width the the needle doesn't overlap the full line].

The low fuel light comes on not long after the needle is in the reserve [red mark] on the gauge [or last 1/8th].

I'm hard pressed to get 10 gals in it.
I've gotten close to 12 gals, but had to drive some distance with the low fuel light on to do this.

Since I've only had the PT for 2 years, one of these days I may fill up a gas can and see how many gals it takes after it runs out.

The G2's...at least mine...doesn't have the red reserve mark.
Using the UltraGauge, I ran my tank down till the low fuel light came on. The UG said I had 20 miles till empty, since I get 21.5 mpg according to the UG...1 gallon seems right to me.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 Feb 2017, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

When the light comes on it just touched the red mark. And i have 3 gallons left.. it blinks when you get to the end of the red mark and then i still have like 1.5 gallons left .. i average 19 mpg ..
Old 13 Feb 2017, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

I hit mine all the time. I haven't run it out of gas <knock wood> yet, but IMO the light comes on with 2 gallons left. Then it chimes again with 1. Mine doesn't come on until after the gauge hits E, but there is still the red (sort of like reserve) below. I try to get gas within 20 miles and make absolute sure that I get gas within 40 miles if I am on the highway because the 2nd chime will usually hit a little more than 20 miles later.

Mine will usually come on in the 275-300 range, but I almost always get between 24-26 mpg. I hit mine all the time because the locations I drive my car through have a wild swing of gas prices, more than a dollar a gallon. Last night I paid $2.15 in Delaware, it was $2.19 by my house, but I saw $3.21 in between. Tank rarely takes more than 12-13 gallons no matter how much I drive it after the light.

EDIT: My 24-26 is in mainly highway driving. When I was driving it around NY it was considerably less, usually closer to 21 combined.

Last edited by Fk5; 13 Feb 2017 at 10:37 am.