valve lash adjuster test

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Carl48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Feb 2017, 08:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default valve lash adjuster test

My suspicion is that there may be one or several bad lash adjusters on my 08 PT base model with 66000 mi. It has been ticking alot lately on a cold start. Drained the oil and put in new 5W30 with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and filter... the noise now goes away after driving for 5-10 minutes.

Anyway, is there a way to test the lash adjusters on the engine once the valve cover has been removed to determine which (if any) are bad without removing them from the engine?

Last edited by Carl48; 14 Feb 2017 at 08:30 am.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 04:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: valve lash adjuster test

HLA will tend to get dirty and need a complete out of the engine cleaning. It is not common for failure do to wear or them breaking.

You may want to first try to use an audio scope to narrow down where the noise is coming from . Than if you do remove the valve cover you would have a better idea where to look first.

some reading

Valve chatter getting worse
Old 14 Feb 2017, 04:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you don't want to remove, clean, or replace them, i would continue with the MMO and/or not worry about it.

276,000 hard and very neglected miles and mine were fine, even with cam lobes spalling. i think my engine saw 9,000 rpm a couple times(wrong gear) and was beat on for a week or so while 2.5-3 quarts low on oil

Last edited by rob302; 14 Feb 2017 at 04:45 pm.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
My suspicion is that there may be one or several bad lash adjusters on my 08 PT base model with 66000 mi. It has been ticking alot lately on a cold start. Drained the oil and put in new 5W30 with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and filter... the noise now goes away after driving for 5-10 minutes.

Anyway, is there a way to test the lash adjusters on the engine once the valve cover has been removed to determine which (if any) are bad without removing them from the engine?
There is a way to test them. But chances are, the clicking is from something else or you have a lubrication issue. If me, I'd run the Marvel for a while and see if it clears up. 0W30 weight oil may help too. I'm now running a 0W in both my Charger Daytona Hemi and the 4.7 V8 in my Dodge Quadcab. Both engines are know to chatter on cold start up and it helps a lot on both. But I would give the Marvel time to do it's magic first. I believe that carbon and gum buildup is one of the most probable causes if you have oil pressure.

The main deal with testing the lifters is that by the time you do the work to get to them, you might as well remove them and clean them per Nitro's comment. With an inexpensive value spring compression tool, You can remove the rockers and lifters pretty easily without having to take the camshafts loose. Then you can clean and inspect the lifters for wear and sticking on a work bench. Just don't hit yourself in the head with the spring compression tool the way I did last time.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Feb 2017 at 09:11 am.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 02:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK, thanks for the replies. Here's the plan... gonna run the MMO for a while and see what happens. It already has made an improvement. If the noise continues, or gets worse, or bothers me enough, then the valve cover is coming off and the lifters get removed and checked. Have got the tool to do this without removing the camshafts.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.