Advertisements
FIXED! Airbag light on/off/on when passenger in car

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SanAntonioJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2017, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default FIXED! Airbag light on/off/on when passenger in car

OK, many of you commented years ago about the airbag malfunction light coming on when someone got into the passenger seat and used the seat belt.

On my 2008 PT convertible, the problem was the seat belt receptacle (female end, bolted to the seat near console). I could make the light go on and off by moving the receptacle around. Apparently, one or both of the wires inside the receptacle housing become broken, losing connection and setting the light on and off. I could move the housing around, front to back, about 2-3 inches, and make the light go on and off.

You can replace the receptacle (part #0ZF371K5AB for 06-07 models, #ZF361K5AF for 06-09 models) or you can try what I did.

I cut away the outside hard plastic housing, taking care not to cut the wires. Then, I moved the wires, starting where the come out of the seat base, until the malfunction light came back on. My bad wiring was close to the buckle.

If you can find the bad spot, and you have enough wire exposed to replace, just cut and splice, then solder and insulate the bad section of wire. I put the hard cover back around the nylon seat belt web and wiring, and used some clear shipping tape to hold it closed. Unless you notice the shiny clear tape, you would never know it had been repaired. If you don't want the tape exposed, just glue the housing to the belt using some silicone glue, and just use the tape to hole it together while it dries. After about 24 hours, you can remove the tape, and only have the seam visible where you cut the housing. BTW, I cut my seat belt housing along the thin side of the belt, on the down side of the housing.

If you can't find the bad wire, you can always replace the entire part, or have a repair shop do it.

Good luck fixing this ANNOYING problem!
Joe

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.
"

-- George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by SanAntonioJoe; 17 Feb 2017 at 08:45 pm.