PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil light--oil drain plug issues

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Default Oil light--oil drain plug issues

2003 Touring non turbo

I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago for a son to drive. 127k miles. The previous owner had the oil changed just before I bought it. At Walmart. A few days ago the oil light came on and stays on. I have read several of the threads about the oil sending/pressure unit being a common culprit. before I jumped into changing that, I noticed that the oil used at the Walmart oil change was 5-20--not 5-30 as is recommended. would that cause the oil light?

and---the sob's at Walmart did not use a drain plug washer and tightened the plug so tight that will not budge. I was going to use the correct oil to see if that resolved the issue. I have stripped the plug even more, and my Irwin bolt extractor kit does not have a socket that fits the plug correctly. It is on there extremely tight.

If I return the car to Walmart, do you think they will/can loosen that drain plug? or would I be better off just going elsewhere and having it done?

thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,331
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog39 View Post
2003 Touring non turbo

I just bought this car a couple of weeks ago for a son to drive. 127k miles. The previous owner had the oil changed just before I bought it. At Walmart. A few days ago the oil light came on and stays on. I have read several of the threads about the oil sending/pressure unit being a common culprit. before I jumped into changing that, I noticed that the oil used at the Walmart oil change was 5-20--not 5-30 as is recommended. would that cause the oil light?

and---the sob's at Walmart did not use a drain plug washer and tightened the plug so tight that will not budge. I was going to use the correct oil to see if that resolved the issue. I have stripped the plug even more, and my Irwin bolt extractor kit does not have a socket that fits the plug correctly. It is on there extremely tight.

If I return the car to Walmart, do you think they will/can loosen that drain plug? or would I be better off just going elsewhere and having it done?

thoughts?
I would suggest running the engine to normal engine temperatures, then try taking the drain plug off.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 04:30 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 79
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

I would 1st try what was suggested above as that may be all that is required.

However, if it's not, take it to a reputable auto repair shop. Wal-Mart won't get it done. What needs to happen if the bolt head is stripped completely, is a large nut must be welded over the stripped bolt and then it can be easily removed. Wal-Mart will not have a welder.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PTCrewser View Post
I would 1st try what was suggested above as that may be all that is required.

However, if it's not, take it to a reputable auto repair shop. Wal-Mart won't get it done. What needs to happen if the bolt head is stripped completely, is a large nut must be welded over the stripped bolt and then it can be easily removed. Wal-Mart will not have a welder.

That was my thoughts, too. Maybe I'll bring my shop bill to the Walmart and raise a little hell.

I just ran the car for 20 minutes then tried again. I got a better sized bolt extractor--it just removed more the bolt head surface.

on the bright side, the oil light went off.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 05:18 pm
rob302's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 3,519
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog39 View Post
That was my thoughts, too. Maybe I'll bring my shop bill to the Walmart and raise a little hell.

I just ran the car for 20 minutes then tried again. I got a better sized bolt extractor--it just removed more the bolt head surface.

on the bright side, the oil light went off.
walmart is one of the most difficult companies in the world to intimidate or sue. i wouldn't bother. you broke it off. they don't care. they don't settle. they don't pay out. and they do it to set an example. they do this so the white trash and ghetto crap that shops there doesn't start a new slip and fall trend. they have crap product and service, but they have great lawyers.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 05:20 pm
rob302's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 3,519
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

unless you're just going there to feel better

i didn't mean to sound like a dick when i wrote that. you might be better off playing dumb. ie:going to walmart with the plug missing/broke off first, and then going ape-shit while pointing at a receipt showing they were the last to touch it.

Last edited by rob302; 19 Feb 2017 at 05:32 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,331
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

Have you tried a six point socket hammered on?
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
unless you're just going there to feel better

i didn't mean to sound like a dick when i wrote that. you might be better off playing dumb. ie:going to walmart with the plug missing/broke off first, and then going ape-shit while pointing at a receipt showing they were the last to touch it.
I deal with Walmart with my job on occasion. I know how they can be. But, if they failed to use a drain bolt washer, as is called for--and--used the wrong oil for that vehicle (the previous owner did not ask for a different oil), I might can get them to budge a little. maybe not.

and yes, it may be just for my pleasure
rob302 likes this.

Last edited by slydog39; 19 Feb 2017 at 06:33 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2017, 06:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Have you tried a six point socket hammered on?
I hammered on a specialized, bolt extractor nut--more than once. all it did was twist off more of the head material. the head is till there, but now, quite rounded.

Next stop is a decent mechanic shop. I know a guy.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21 Feb 2017, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Default Re: Oil light--oil drain plug issues

Two possible ideas for the drain plug. If there is still enough metal, grab onto it with a pair of vice grips really tight. Hopefully that won't snap off what is left. The other idea is if there is really nothing to grab on to you can try to take a chisel and try to first make a little notch on the perimeter of the plug then use the chisel to try and then spin the plug out. Counter clockwise of course. Neither of these ideas are very pretty and can do more damage if not done with some finesse. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone try an EZ oil drain plug? JonN General PT Cruiser Discussions 0 20 Jun 2016 10:00 pm
Oil drain plug ALBERT Exterior Accessories Forum 1 11 Feb 2016 09:23 am
Can't get oil drain plug off ankit General PT Cruiser Discussions 19 24 May 2012 01:12 pm
01 oil drain plug for 03 LTD? edb General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 13 Feb 2011 04:00 pm
oil drain plug tagreen95354 Tech & Performance Forum 14 05 Feb 2006 09:37 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors