Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Opinions? On My High Milage PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2017, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Opinions? On My High Milage PT Cruiser

Hi All, I am asking for opinions regarding my 2002 PT Cruiser. I am trying to decide hopefully based on some advice here if I want to spend more money on this car.

I was given a PT Cruiser at 193K miles. The transmission was slipping. The folks had taken very good care of the car, It came from Minnesota however, so the underneath was fairly rusted/ etc. The 193K miles I was told were mostly highway miles. I had the transmission rebuilt and have been using it for my paper route the last 2 years.

It has been a great car and I like driving it. It now has 266K miles on it and is still running fine. I have already put in a new fan and radiator along the way as well as thermostat and some misc basic maintenance. My math tells me that if the people took care of it so well, did all scheduled Maintenance, then probably this car will be due for the timing belt sooner or later. I am trying to decide if the car is worth putting in the $900 for the timing belt...OR if I should just drive the heck out of it...hopefully another 20K miles and let the belt do what its going to do? So the transmission only has 73K miles on it, how long should I expect the engine and suspension and other pieces to hold together? Can I get to 300K? How many more miles will $900 buy?
Any help appreciated
Old 20 Feb 2017, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Opinions? On My High Milage PT Cruiser

I take it you already did one timing belt at around the 200,000 mile mark. You didn't mention that. You also didn't mention if any suspension work was done. At 266k you can expect parts to wear so whatever you haven't replaced, they don't have long to go if they aren't already on the way out.

If you really like the car, putting out some cash is way better than a new car payment but you do want a reliable car so you'll have to do some preventive replacement if you want to count on something that will start and run every day.

In the end it's up to you. Personally, it will go to 300K but not without replacing probably a bunch of parts and putting money out to make it reliable.

My $.02 worth.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did not do the 2nd timing belt, I am assuming that the good people that gave it to me, probably did a 2nd belt sometime just before they gave to me, maybe around 180k... I do know that they were the original owners and probably the original belt has not gone this long and a 2nd would have broken already had they just done once before at 100k miles.

My main worry is that the engine goes after i spend $900. How many miles anyone ever saw on of these engines?
Old 20 Feb 2017, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvell33 View Post
Hi All, I am asking for opinions regarding my 2002 PT Cruiser. I am trying to decide hopefully based on some advice here if I want to spend more money on this car.

I was given a PT Cruiser at 193K miles. The transmission was slipping. The folks had taken very good care of the car, It came from Minnesota however, so the underneath was fairly rusted/ etc. The 193K miles I was told were mostly highway miles. I had the transmission rebuilt and have been using it for my paper route the last 2 years.

It has been a great car and I like driving it. It now has 266K miles on it and is still running fine. I have already put in a new fan and radiator along the way as well as thermostat and some misc basic maintenance. My math tells me that if the people took care of it so well, did all scheduled Maintenance, then probably this car will be due for the timing belt sooner or later. I am trying to decide if the car is worth putting in the $900 for the timing belt...OR if I should just drive the heck out of it...hopefully another 20K miles and let the belt do what its going to do? So the transmission only has 73K miles on it, how long should I expect the engine and suspension and other pieces to hold together? Can I get to 300K? How many more miles will $900 buy?
Any help appreciated
You might also want to think about how many miles can you get out of a rebuilt transmission?
Old 20 Feb 2017, 07:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i got 276k out of mine. i quit fixing things at 265k because i didn't find the car fun or rewarding to work on anymore. it was showing its age. ultimately i parked mine when the heater core failed.

this is the highest i've seen reported:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylecrab View Post
Yes! My 2005 has 348,000 miles on her. Originally transmission and many other original parts. Not the computer though. We just replaced it. Now it looks like critters got into the wiring while she was down for the computer repair. Not the car's fault though. We plan to have her back on the road asap.

Keep it maintained and there's no telling how many miles you'll get.

Last edited by rob302; 20 Feb 2017 at 07:02 pm.