• 1 Post By MaggieJay
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default In need of new computer

I have a 2008 Touring Convertible with the turbo. I just got the car back from the dealership and I need a new computer. I am willing to use an online source, and tried to use all computer resources .com but they did not have my computer in stock. Does anyone have any companies they know are reliable and can be trusted? A warranty would be preferable.

Thanks!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: In need of new computer

Give us the number off the front of you computer and the number off the side.

On these computers (PCM's) the number on the front is the original part number and the one on the side is the number with the programming (flash) specific to your car. If looking for a used PCM, these are the number you will need. Your VIN will also have to be programed into it so it works with your anti-theft SKIM system.

If buying a "refurbished" unit from a company with a warranty, my first place to check is AutoComputerExchange. I've used them a couple of times with very positive results.

If looking for a used PCM, I'd try forum member, Myckee. He sells these and has the device to program in your VIN. He can be reached by PM here on the forum. Myckee knows more about PT Cruiser PCM compatibility than most and can be very helpful. For me, I'd prefer a used PCM from Myckee over a refurbished unit.

Here' some other things to consider:

* These late-model PCM's rarely fail. Is the dealer very sure this is the problem? What symptoms does your PT Cruiser have?
* It's very hard to find new PCM's for your car and they are often very expensive. A refurbished or used PCM will likely last for the life of the car.
* Even though part numbers are different, I believe 2007/2008 turbo PT PCM's will be interchangeable. Myckee may know more about this.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Feb 2017 at 08:36 am.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 09:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

As far as finding the user Myckee, I found his user and shot him a message. Also, I'm hesitant to have someone rebuild the computer since I got this car used and I know the previous owner replaced the computer. Now, when I got the car, the previous owner hadn't even put the right oil filter in, so I'm hesitant to trust that he got the right computer. Most of the ones I can find online are non-turbo.

Last edited by MaggieJay; 21 Feb 2017 at 09:44 am.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieJay View Post
As far as finding the user Myckee, I found his user and shot him a message. Also, I'm hesitant to have someone rebuild the computer since I got this car used and I know the previous owner replaced the computer. Now, when I got the car, the previous owner hadn't even put the right oil filter in, so I'm hesitant to trust that he got the right computer. Most of the ones I can find online are non-turbo.
Much of the time, a bad PCM cannot feasibly be repaired. It would cost more than the repaired unit could be sold for. Most of the "refurbished" ones are just tested and possibly flashed with updated programming depending on the model. And that's likely what you would get if you got one from some place like AutoComputerExchange. There are some notable exceptions to this such as the 2001/2002 PT PCM's of which some had a known bad chip that could be replaced. But for the most part, "refurnished" just means a good used unit that has been tested and possibly flashed.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Feb 2017 at 11:15 am.
Old 21 Feb 2017, 11:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Hello MaggieJay, I saw your visitor message and I sent you a private message reply.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Tags
computer, convertible, pcm 2006 turbo, pcm ecm