Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Performance Intake manifold/header?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2017, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Performance Intake manifold/header?

Been a while since I have posted here but have been lurking in the forums regularly.

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser (NA) Limited. 105K miles. Purchased the car about a year and half ago. Previous owner said it was his wifes before they got married and was sitting for awhile so selling it cheap. My wife refuses to go in any other small car so we have developed a liking for the Cruisers so will be keeping this car for a long time.

I need to change the head due to a burnt exhaust valve and another cylinder seeming to have lower compression (145). A friend came over and we ran a leak down test and everything else seemed fine. I am going to replace the exhaust header with a ODX performance header while at it.

What can I due with the intake to get better performance? I have heard people say swap the manifold from a turbo engine (metal or plastic?). Is this proven to help? I am not looking to get any huge gain. Just the best performance with some reasonable upgrades while I have the head out. Also is there anything else such as a cam/spring change I could do?

I will be doing all the work myself since I have experience changing heads, lifters,etc on other vehicles so can can invest in a bit better parts then stock. I am not looking to be racing or anything. Just though I might as well get a bit more performance since I have the head out. I will be going to the bone yard to get a new power mirror so I can pull some other parts while there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Really wished this would have happened before I changed the timing belt!

Any comments appreciated! Also in case anyone says anything. I did use the search function here. Just read a bit conflicting ideas. So to sum up:

Intake upgrade for a N/A engine?
CAM or head internals upgrade?
Old 25 Feb 2017, 11:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Performance Intake manifold/header?

intake.. if you swap it, make a plan for the EGR tube in the back, as none of the 03+ have it. meaning you'll have a stiff metal pipe with an oddball end to plumb in.

exhaust.. everything i've seen from reputable people is that the headers don't do anything. people that would normally put headers on things don't even bother on these.

i modify everything i touch, and i left mine alone. i mean a 2002 NA PT with an automatic is equivalent to you wanting to modify the slowest 4 cylinder version of a 2002 dodge caravan. by the time you do/spend enough to make it any faster, you'll spend a fortune, it'll still be slower than the better model, and it'll be less streetable for your wife.

someone here just signed up telling us they had they had their PT commandeered by their wife so they picked up a cheap PT GT for themselves.. i'd go this route. someone just posted about an 04 GT that needed engine work for $400
Old 25 Feb 2017, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Performance Intake manifold/header?

Port exhaust on head. At least match and blend. Do not raise the ceiling any in the runner.
Have head surface to -min.0.30. max .040. This will raise your CR 1/2 point. You will need to use 90+ octane fuel after this machining.
OBX combination straight pipe only glasspack for noise reduction and a cutout with remote electrical valve control for high RPM operation.
DO NOT Change to any other intake unless you are going to do a complete port on the head both intake and exhaust. Do not use any larger intake system parts like throttle bodies.
Go to a single electrode spark plug Champion and gap at exactly .042.
Use a good quality spark plug wire set like MSD

Get a decal that clearly says GROCERY GETTER for the back hatch for challengers to see you have a none TURBO PT Cruiser.
If you think they are going to "BLOW YOUR DOORS OFF" scare them with your exhaust cut out, maybe they will think against not racing you?

This is the most economical way to pick up about 20-30 HP.

After this you might just consider the other option of a GT Turbo model PT Cruiser to start with.

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Feb 2017 at 12:30 pm.