PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dealership possibly screwed my 2010 PT Cruiser?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Feb 2017, 01:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dealership possibly screwed my 2010 PT Cruiser?

So, about two weeks ago, she was driving and she came to a stop. After which see stated that the car shook and then stopped. She attempted to start the car again and it would not turn over. I drove down to check it out and I didn't see anything, so we had it towed to the Dodge Dealership (big mistake).

This is where the crap started. We dropped it off and they said they'd get to it. I called the next day and was given a song and dance about it needing to be torn down to see what the issue is. I said go ahead and was told that even though I have an extended warranty, I would be responsible for the tear down and I said fine. The next day I called and I was told they were still waiting for the OK from the warranty company, even though they already told me It was my decision.

So I called the warranty company and was told that the dealership was waiting for my ok. At this point I'm getting pissed.
I called and then went down to the dealership to find out what was going on and then told them again to do the tear down. Two days later they said it was done and they see it needed a new timing belt and tensioner. They said there was no damage to the engine, since it was a non-interference engine. I asked several times and they keep saying the engine was fine. Another two days later they finally updated the warranty company who demanded the pictures of what they noticed so they can either approve or deny the claim.
After the claim was approved took another day or so for the dealership to get the parts and another day to install them.

This is where it gets worse. They hadn't called us so we called them multiple times. At one point they hung up on us. They said they installed the belt and tensioner and drove it and then engine sieged up. Now they're saying there's a belt valve and they need to work on the cylinder head.

They're saying they have a $3k estimate for this but are going to submit this to the warranty company. So I called the warranty company and explained everything. Once i did, my agent started getting pissed off as well. He was upset that he also asked about the engine and was told there was no issue. Now after all this, he's wondering if they installed the belt incorrectly and caused the damage. He approved the claim and even gave the shop more hours to install the parts. He's not too thrilled about what's happening, the time and money so far and he stated that the dealership perhaps isn't the best place to have the work done.

He's looking at engines over the weekend, just in case and will be contacting the service manager on monday/tuesday. This entire situation has been frustration simply because my wife took care of this car. It's at less of 75,000 miles and the timing belt was rated at 90,000 miles.

The warranty rep also stated this also could have happened due to the timing belt being one of the ones that were recalled and somehow one of those made its way into our PT Cruiser.

Now I'm just sitting here pondering what to do. Get the car taken to another shop. Will my warranty company cover this crap. Could we get the dealership to eat the cost of engine replacement if needed and if so, how can ew prove it?

Sorry for the wall of text.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dealership possibly screwed my 2010 PT Cruiser?

First, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your PT.

When you say the engine would not turn over, do you mean that the starter would not turn the engine or that the engine simply would not start? With a failed timing belt, the engine often just quits for no reason. It will then turn easily but will not start.

This forum has been around since near the beginning of the PT Cruisers, and reports of a failed timing belt actually damaging the engine almost all come from reports from shops and dealerships such as your case. In my opinion, most of these reported cases are instances of where the shop did something wrong. Do-it-yourself folks do this timing belt repair in their driveways all the time and almost never report engine damage. And your dealership's report of engine damage being detected after the initial repair is even stranger.

If me, I'd let them complete the repair job as long as the warranty is covering it all. I would make sure both the agent and dealership understand that I don't plan there to be any out-of-pocket cost on this. Hopefully, the warranty will cover it all and the dealership service department will eventually get it right.

As an alternative, I might ask the agent if it's possible to have the car taken to another dealership for the repairs. Chances are this is improbable due the cost of packing up the car and transporting somewhere else. But I might ask anyway. Another option is to ask the dealership to give you full top trade-in value on your PT for a new car. This might truly be the best option if you believe you will soon be in the market for a new car anyway. And it may give you a little more trading leverage when making a deal.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 02:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Without ALL the service write up information we are only reading your posted information and not the service department information.
Never the less...

Simply said you should follow what the warranty insurance company is advising you. They are covering the work.

Asking for legal advise in this situation on a car forum is not advisable.
I know of only one attorney and a coupe of para legals members on this forum and one has already responded to me about your first response.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmitchell2776 View Post

This is where it gets worse. They hadn't called us so we called them multiple times. At one point they hung up on us. They said they installed the belt and tensioner and drove it and then engine sieged up. Now they're saying there's a belt valve and they need to work on the cylinder head.
I would have thought that after replacing the timing belt before putting everything back together that an engine compression and leak down test would be done to confirm the valves were still good. My brother used to be a mechanic at the dealer and one of his statements to me was "I have only a certain amount of time to get a timing belt replacement done". Was enough time spent to make sure everything was okay before putting the engine back together?
Old 25 Feb 2017, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would have thought that after replacing the timing belt before putting everything back together that an engine compression and leak down test would be done to confirm the valves were still good. My brother used to be a mechanic at the dealer and one of his statements to me was "I have only a certain amount of time to get a timing belt replacement done". Was enough time spent to make sure everything was okay before putting the engine back together?
Yes. We were pretty much at the mercy of the dealership and the warranty company gave them an extra 2 hours for the work.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 07:54 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered, what a mess, for sure

Even though the warranty company covered the timing belt and tensioner, if it had been my vehicle, I would have had them also replace: idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount and water pump, while the area was torn apart, as any of those items could also fail at anytime, after the extended warranty has expired, and if they did, you would have to pay again to have the area torn apart.

They probably rushed their repair because they were probably getting paid a reduced rate on time and labor from the warranty company rather than their standard shop rates. But as it is, they started it, they need to finish it, correctly, as it was their original diagnosis that dictated the work done so far.

The fact that they are a dealership is probably one of the best things going for you, you can always contact Chrysler Customer Service if you need to.

Good luck, but I hope everything works out for you.

Last edited by rckstein; 25 Feb 2017 at 07:59 pm.
Old 02 Mar 2017, 08:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice. So, we got an update after nearly 3 weeks. The dealership put on the new timing belt, put the car on the lift and they say the engine died. After talking to the warranty company, who sent an inspector to the shop, they said the intake cam seized up the engine. I can't even begin to understand how that was even possible if they tested the engine via compression test. Which sounds like they didn't do.

So now we're waiting to see what the dealership is going to do, as the warranty company has stepped in and told them they weren't going to honor anything since they didn't do they job correctly. This just sounds like we're going to get screwed and will be out of a car or be forced to pay for an engine that we simply can't afford at the moment.
Old 02 Mar 2017, 09:08 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmitchell2776 View Post
Thanks for the advice. So, we got an update after nearly 3 weeks. The dealership put on the new timing belt, put the car on the lift and they say the engine died. After talking to the warranty company, who sent an inspector to the shop, they said the intake cam seized up the engine. I can't even begin to understand how that was even possible if they tested the engine via compression test. Which sounds like they didn't do.

So now we're waiting to see what the dealership is going to do, as the warranty company has stepped in and told them they weren't going to honor anything since they didn't do they job correctly. This just sounds like we're going to get screwed and will be out of a car or be forced to pay for an engine that we simply can't afford at the moment.
Sounds like you need to do some research on the value of your PT, and propose they give you that value (full retail value and not their blackbook trade-in value) towards another vehicle of your choice or the dealership can repair yours at their expense.

In the meantime, I hope they are providing you with a loaner vehicle, that is the least they should be doing.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Mar 2017 at 03:59 pm.
Old 02 Mar 2017, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wonder if they ran the engine with not enough engine oil causing the cam seized and tried to cover it up?
Old 02 Mar 2017, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We just talked to the warranty company. Now the dealership is saying that there's silicon in the engine and is claiming we had work done on the engine. Except, we never had any issues with the car, other than having spark plugs, wires and the cap replaced.

I don't know if they are either than stupid or did something and is trying to push this back on us now.

This is turning to one giant nightmare.

Last edited by kdmitchell2776; 02 Mar 2017 at 02:57 pm.

Tags
bent valves, cyclinder head, timing belt