Advertisements
Two BOV?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dahoopd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2017, 06:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Two BOV?

Would having two BOV's on the car cause a problem? This is my first turbo car so I didn't realize the silver thing was a BOV so I bought one (red) and put it on. The car just doesn't seem to run like it did prior to the HG repair. The boost lags a lot more than previous. I plan on removing the second one but figured I would ask while the car cools down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170227_180219.jpg (81.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 27 Feb 2017, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Two BOV?

I think you should just keep one or the other.

The MOPAR style is more than enough for the noise value.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Feb 2017, 08:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I think you should just keep one or the other.

The MOPAR style is more than enough for the noise value.
That was the general idea, I am not concerned with noise value. Just wondering if it would cause issue having both. Both are aftermarket so it will have to be one or the other as I don't have the original Mopar unit.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoopd View Post
Would having two BOV's on the car cause a problem? This is my first turbo car so I didn't realize the silver thing was a BOV so I bought one (red) and put it on. The car just doesn't seem to run like it did prior to the HG repair. The boost lags a lot more than previous. I plan on removing the second one but figured I would ask while the car cools down.
From the photo, it appears that you have mounted a red Mopar-style BOV in front of a some other type of aftermarket BOV. I'm not sure that will work.

The Mopar-style BOV "plate" is made to work with the OEM bypass valve. Pressure goes through a hole in the plate to the valve. When the valve opens, the pressure then flows back into the the open side of the plate and out the holes on the sides. With that aftermarket BOV in place of the bypass valve, the pressure instead is likely just exhausting through the small round holes circling the lower part of the aftermarket BOV. In this case, the Mopar-style BOV plate is likely doing nothing though it may actually be restricting flow somewhat to the aftermarket plate.

If me, I'd remove the Mopar-style BOV plate and just run with the aftermarket BOV. As an alternative, you could use the Mopar-style BOV plate but you would need to find an OEM bypass valve to use with it.

Two BOV's (Red one is likely doing nothing, may restrict flow).

Mopar-style BOV plate (similar to red one). Crescent pass-thru hole. Round return hole exhausts thru side holes.

Turbo side of Mopar-style BOV plate. Only crescent pass-thru hole on that side.

Mopar-style BOV plate with OEM bypass valve. Rubber valve diaphragm between them.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Feb 2017 at 10:30 am.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:45 am
Young Cruiser

Thank you................... I was hoping someone would answer the question posted. I did exactly that, I removed the Mopar piece since I do not have the factory bypass valve. Thank you again, I always appreciate the time and help you provide.
Fk5 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just an FYI ...the one you choose when it fails you most likely may find yourself on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck!
(operation discribed is not accurate in a earlier response)

The MOPAR bov style if the internal parts break it simply no longer functions and VERY unlikely to leave you stranded.

To add, your last response does not make sence, both type BOV simply use a single signal feed hose to function.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Feb 2017 at 12:00 pm.