PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do you guys jack the engine up so high??

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2017, 11:33 am
Young Cruiser

Default How do you guys jack the engine up so high??

I'm back to fixing my PT Cruiser timing issues this weekend. I bought the Costco jack so I can actually achieve the height needed but with the wood block, the higher I get the sketchier it is, just like the scissor jack. Any suggestions? Smaller piece of wood or different jack location? The height in the pictures was high enough to remove the top engine bracket bolts but I couldn't remove the second one unless I jacked it higher. In some instructions it recommends unbolting the transmission mount on the other side but then I would need a second jack and I don't feel comfortable with that situation.

Old 04 Mar 2017, 11:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How do you guys jack the engine up so high??

i put the jack under there, started cranking it up, and never looked under the car again.

i think i was so focused on how scary it looked from the top that i never even thought to look under the car

"sometimes ignorance is bliss"
Old 04 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i put the jack under there, started cranking it up, and never looked under the car again.

i think i was so focused on how scary it looked from the top that i never even thought to look under the car

"sometimes ignorance is bliss"
So you kept jacking until the engine hit the hood

Absolutely, what you don't know, won't hurt you
Old 04 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Mar 2017, 12:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You might take your engine higher by establishing the greatest height you can get with the jack, securing that height with a temporary jack stands or a safe stack of blocks or boards. When the temporary supports are in place, lower the jack, place a stack of adequately sized boards of sufficient width, length and height under the jack and raise the engine to the desired height. Re-brace and good Luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 04 Mar 2017 at 03:07 pm.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 12:55 pm
Young Cruiser

I cut down the piece of wood and folded a piece of rubber I had to put on top and it looks much better now. Taking a break but I got the metal engine bracket off and going to start adjusting the timing in a little bit. Wish me luck!
Old 04 Mar 2017, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
You might take your engine higher by establishing the greatest height you can get with the jack, securing that height with a temporary but safe stack of blocks or boards. When the temporary supports are in place, lower the jack, place a stack of adequately sized boards of sufficient width, length and height under the jack and raise the engine to the desired height. Re-brace and good Luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
+1

This is how to do it. I use jack stands as the temporary supports.

PS: I recently got a 4 ton low profile jack for just this kind of thing. While you don't need a 4 ton jack for a PT Cruiser, many jacks this size will go much higher and eliminate the need for block jacking.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Mar 2017 at 01:27 pm.
Old 04 Mar 2017, 01:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WARNING

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that if you choose to do it in the ways posted you have a helper with you to have a watchful eye as you raise the engine not to break hoses, lines, and other parts.
ptprice, wingman55 and dsab like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Mar 2017, 02:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Now to the next problem. I got the crankshaft to TDC at the marks and then removed the timing belt. I'm now trying to get the camshafts to line up since it appears as if they've shifted even more from already being out of sync after removing the belt. The right one does not want to stay in place if I rotate counter-clockwise. It will move a little bit and then spring back. Any suggestions?

Old 04 Mar 2017, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeL View Post
Now to the next problem. I got the crankshaft to TDC at the marks and then removed the timing belt. I'm now trying to get the camshafts to line up since it appears as if they've shifted even more from already being out of sync after removing the belt. The right one does not want to stay in place if I rotate counter-clockwise. It will move a little bit and then spring back. Any suggestions?

Yes.

1. Assure the crank is in the right position per the marks on lower timing sprocket.
2. Install the belt before installing the tensioner.
3. With the belt around the water pump and no slack on the right side, put it in place on the right (front) timing sprocket while holding it in place with a socket and racket on the cam bolt.
3. Once in place, use a large report binder clip to clip the belt in place on the sprocket. That keeps it from moving.
4. Next do the same on the rear sprocket.
5. Then, install the tensioner and properly tighten it.
6. Turn the motor over by hand one complete round and check if all timing marks line up as they should.

I removed and installed the timing belt three times while working with my performance camshafts. This worked the best for me.

The only way I found better is to mark all sprocket timing marks on the old belt before removal (assuming it didn't fail). Then you can remove the belt, transfer the marks to the new belt and install. This way you can just match all three sprocket marks up with the one's on the belt. And you can even make new marks on the sprockets in more convenient locations since they only need to match up with the marks on the belt. This makes it all very quick and is even sort of fool proof for a dummy like me.
ptprice, chuzz and rsrocket1 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Mar 2017 at 10:48 am.