PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
killed my engine? 2007

 
Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Default killed my engine? 2007

I've found a lot of help on here from browsing last couple years, but I finally may have killed my car.
I'm not mechanical minded, only have basic tools, and pretty much know basic repair/maintenance basics: check fluids, change oil (MOM showed me!), change/jump battery, etc

car: 2007 Limited
AutoZone was telling me P0301
so I changed plugs & wires, cleared code, still showing p0301

so I changed the distributor.

then I frakked up.
video repair I watched said to cover the air intake to prevent knocking any grit/etc in the intake. so I stuffed a paper towel in each.
after swapping out the distributor, I went to turn the engine on, to see how it ran.

CONFETTI.
not a lot but just a few bits to remind me I never pulled the paper towels out.
engine had turned over at that moment, but I immediately killed it and hobbled around to see what damage I had done. paper towels were gone.


hobbled across to nearby garage, told them what I did, guy said it shouldn't be a problem, the filter should catch them.
-checked, nothing in filter.

tried engine again, would not turn over. garage was closing up so I couldn't ask them again.

called a former mechanic friend, he said it shouldn't be a problem either, started describing how to check which cylinder to check with timing light or something. it sounded like the video I watched, but a bit over my head, but I do not have a timing light or the extra hand needed to hold light and turn over engine. sounds to me like he was jumping ahead? he lives about two hours away and has no money to spare driving up here, even after I offered him gas money.
(I *knew* I should have gone down there and we worked on it together!)

I even tried putting the old distributor back on, but still won't turn over.

I put out open call for help on facebook, no replies, but sister talked to her ex, he thinks I killed it, asking another friend of his for advice. waiting for his reply.
tbh, who knows what she told him what I did?
(she thinks I'm a moron, yet I test near-MENSA levels.)

I've even tried that code thing posted here with turning the keys, but it doesn't seem to work?

so am I screwed?
I'm on Disability, so no money to throw around haphazardly, and plates are due this month. can't even THINK of getting a "new" car, much less affording one. and nearest "grocery" is Dollar General/gas station, two miles away. on a fubar leg. Walmart is 4-5 miles the other way.


if it's the paper towels blocking something, do I take half the engine apart to clean them out? can I fish them out with wire?

could it be recalibrating something from changing the distributor? has the starter gone out now?
am I just totally borked? ANY advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 04:38 pm
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

What distributor?
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

link to this one off Amazon.
again, I put the old distributor back on, still nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...1QD7YXCXNM14XR
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 05:02 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,370
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

There's no filter to catch anything at this point if I correctly understand what's happened. But there is a chance that most of all four paper towels are on top of the valves in the intake ports. When you removed the top of the intake manifold, the bottom part is what you stuffed the paper towels in. Like this photo, Right?




If me, I would remove this plastic lower manifold part and look in each of the four ports for the paper towels. This may tell the story. And here's why.

The towels may be jammed underneath the intake valves holding them open to some degree. And like this, there is no compression. If you are VERY lucky, you may be able to slowly turn the engine by hand and pull the paper towels out.

If the paper towels are past the intake valves in the cylinders, they may be doing the same thing on the exhaust valves. These are not as easy to access since most the towels are likely in the cylinders themselves.

Again if me, I would remove the lower part of the intake manifold and see if I can remove as much of the paper towels as possible. If I get most of, the rest will likely cycle through when the engine starts. Even if they stick in the exhaust on the catalytic converter, they should burn to ash. But if most of it is in the cylinders, head removal by someone with more skill might be the best option.

If the paper towels cannot be removed from the intake manifold someone with more tools might do a compression check to verify what I've said. There's always the small chance that the paper towels have already cycled through and something else has caused the engine not to run.

If you cannot do these things I've talked about, at least mention them to whomever you get to work on it.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Mar 2017 at 05:07 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 05:03 pm
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlock View Post
link to this one off Amazon.
again, I put the old distributor back on, still nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...1QD7YXCXNM14XR
That is not a distributor, it is a coil. So you stuffed paper towels in the intake manifold when you pulled it and forgot to take them out? If it were me, I would pull the upper plenum and get out what I could. Try to see if they got sucked in and are blocking the intake. Maybe you just aren't getting any air to the engine. OTOH, if you "put the old" coil back on, you must have been back into the intake. Were there any pieces there? Did you look into the lower intake and see if they were there? If it was blocked?
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
There's no filter to catch anything at this point if I correctly understand what's happened. But there is a chance that most of all four paper towels are on top of the valves in the intake ports. When you removed the top of the intake manifold, the bottom part is what you stuffed the paper towels in. Like this photo, Right?




If me, I would remove this plastic lower manifold part and look in each of the four ports for the paper towels. This may tell the story. And here's why.

The towels may be jammed underneath the intake valves holding them open to some degree. And like this, there is no compression. If you are VERY lucky, you may be able to slowly turn the engine by hand and pull the paper towels out.

If the paper towels are past the intake valves in the cylinders, they may be doing the same thing on the exhaust valves. These are not as easy to access since most the towels are likely in the cylinders themselves.

Again if me, I would remove the lower part of the intake manifold and see if I can remove as much of the paper towels as possible. If I get most of, the rest will likely cycle through when the engine starts. Even if they stick in the exhaust on the catalytic converter, they should burn to ash. But if most of it is in the cylinders, head removal by someone with more skill might be the best option.

If the paper towels cannot be removed from the intake manifold someone with more tools might do a compression check to verify what I've said. There's always the small chance that the paper towels have already cycled through and something else has caused the engine not to run.

If you cannot do these things I've talked about, at least mention them to whomever you get to work on it.
-they were talking air filter.

-yes, they got sucked down into that, afaik. just a few bits fle up when I first turned the engine on and that was the last time it turned over.

-I think I see what you're saying about where the towels could be IF they are still intact. agan, I've got basic tools and vague idea of what I'm doing. at least it's going to be nice next couple days, so I can work on it.

*IF* I can get this running again, I'm taking it to my mechanic friend, as he said he's only got two dr appts this month and nothing else going on.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
That is not a distributor, it is a coil. So you stuffed paper towels in the intake manifold when you pulled it and forgot to take them out? If it were me, I would pull the upper plenum and get out what I could. Try to see if they got sucked in and are blocking the intake. Maybe you just aren't getting any air to the engine. OTOH, if you "put the old" coil back on, you must have been back into the intake. Were there any pieces there? Did you look into the lower intake and see if they were there? If it was blocked?
again, I have BASIC knowledge (and tools) and had to look up "plenum".
that part is what Amazon suggested for "distributor", as the AutoZone kid was no help when he ran my codes.

afaik, they went DOWN, and I can't see them.
looks like I'll be taking that all apart to see if I can dig them out?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 05:34 pm
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlock View Post
again, I have BASIC knowledge (and tools) and had to look up "plenum".
that part is what Amazon suggested for "distributor", as the AutoZone kid was no help when he ran my codes.

afaik, they went DOWN, and I can't see them.
looks like I'll be taking that all apart to see if I can dig them out?
Yes. The intake manifold is two pieces. In the picture Handy posted the upper is off and the lower is there. I would pull both and see if I can get everything out.

If you really only turned the over for a split second you would probably be okay, but I wonder. In your first post you stated that you tried it again a couple of times, but it wouldn't turn over. What does that mean?

Also, where did this "confetti" come out? The whole thing should be sealed, so I don't see where it might come out.

Terminology is very important. When the mechanics told you it would get caught in the filter, they probably mean the air filter and probably because you said you put rags in the "air intake" People sometimes refer to the air box with the filter as the air intake. You apparently put them in the lower intake manifold or lower plenum. There is no filter for them to get caught on there.
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 05:42 pm
cruserdad1976's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: st james mo
Posts: 8,217
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

question?? could he pull the plugs and see if the motor turns over??? Im thinking he may not want to dismantle everything to see what is going on cant see how a paper towel could lock up a motor but im not a mechanic
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Mar 2017, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Default Re: killed my engine? 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Yes. The intake manifold is two pieces. In the picture Handy posted the upper is off and the lower is there. I would pull both and see if I can get everything out.

If you really only turned the over for a split second you would probably be okay, but I wonder. In your first post you stated that you tried it again a couple of times, but it wouldn't turn over. What does that mean?

Also, where did this "confetti" come out? The whole thing should be sealed, so I don't see where it might come out.

Terminology is very important. When the mechanics told you it would get caught in the filter, they probably mean the air filter and probably because you said you put rags in the "air intake" People sometimes refer to the air box with the filter as the air intake. You apparently put them in the lower intake manifold or lower plenum. There is no filter for them to get caught on there.
the towels were stuffed in the lower half in Handy's pic "to prevent debris from falling in". LOL

the bits of paper towel I saw were blown out by the engine into the yard in the brief time I tried it the first time. I only saw them thru the small gap not being blocked by my hood or having the upper plenum propped open yet. it was only a couple small pieces, not near enough to be any of the half-sheets paper towel.

after I talked to the garage across the way and my friend, I tried turning the key again, but it would not turn over. all I get is a grinding noise. I switched the coil back, tried turning it again, it wouldn't turn over.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GROUNDED WIRE KILLED ENGINE craigwhill2010 General PT Cruiser Discussions 13 09 Aug 2016 09:22 am
i killed it. rob342 Tech & Performance Forum 56 29 May 2014 04:06 pm
2007 Engine noise Gamer92 General PT Cruiser Discussions 6 25 Sep 2013 12:01 pm
2007 2.4L interference engine? kaekae6 Tech & Performance Forum 21 11 Feb 2013 12:03 pm
I killed my PT. KingKole02 General PT Cruiser Discussions 32 02 Jul 2004 12:04 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors