Advertisements
Cooling/AC system Issues

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlakeL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2017, 09:19 am
Young Cruiser

Default Cooling/AC system Issues

After fixing the timing, I got everything running with coolant and it was running much better than before so I called it a night. I ran it some more the next day to finish bleeding the system but was never able to get hot air with the heater on. I then realized I didn't put in the correct coolant so last night I went ahead and flushed the system a few times and put in the correct Zerex coolant. I used one of the no spill funnels this time and bled properly with the bleeder screw while filling and ran the car for about 20 minutes. It got up to operating temperature and stayed there and the radiator fan came on when it seemed like it should. Now it looks like I have two issues, not sure if this is from the car sitting for a long time or not.

Heater Core:
When I turned the temperature to hot and then ran the fan, it was fine but never got any heat. At one point I switched it to the A/C side and started hearing a click every 5-6 seconds like the compressor switching on. Could this still be trapped air after 20 minutes or so of running or is it probably clogged?

Compressor:
When I switched to A/C and cold, the engine struggled a lot as if the belt was getting more resistance. Is there an easy way to check for compressor issues? Could it just be low freon? I depressed the valve on the low side connector and there was pressure but I'll have to borrow my father in laws a/c gauges to check.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 11:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling/AC system Issues

I was able to get both issues resolved. The heater core problem worked itself out after some time/driving and now heats. The compressor issue was related to me removing the A/C low pressure valve cap at some point and a slow leak in the schrader valve let all the freon leak out. I was able to pull a vacuum and recharge and everything appears to be working fine.
03PTCrewser likes this.