PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

 
Like Tree15Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 12:46 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 166
Default Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

It has 140,000 miles on it and I need to know what I should replace before I build it up. I know I need to do the timing belt, water pump, and gaskets, but what else?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 01:29 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 79
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

I just went through this. You already mentioned the mandatory parts. I'll add these to the list:

Pull oil pan - eliminate slop in balancer chain

Consider plastigauging the crank main journal bearings to see where you're at in terms of bearing clearances

Consider installing a new oil pump

Front and rear main oil seals

Camshaft oil seals

Put a new oil pressure switch in - if not now you'll be doing it under the car

Install a new engine mount, the one that bolts to the front of the engine

New trans and torque mounts are a good idea, but can be done later

This is a big one. Pull the head and have the valves/seats ground since there's 140K miles on it. I've seen to many burnt exhaust valve topics on here to mess around. You DON'T want to deal with this later. $300 more now and skip the headache.

With 140K there are alot of unknowns.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 01:53 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,601
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabe1 View Post
It has 140,000 miles on it and I need to know what I should replace before I build it up. I know I need to do the timing belt, water pump, and gaskets, but what else?
I am reading exactly what you posted...


If this is the correct wording then the complete long block needs to be rebuilt. This means all the machine work, new reciprocating parts, questionable parts like oil pump, if really for building up relating to performance than perhaps eliminating the complete balance shaft assembly and naturally a complete head rebuild and port work.

If what you meant was freshening up an engine with that many miles on it...well at least pull the head and have a valve job done.
Maybe some but not all of what was previously posted?

As that member said quote: "With 140K there are a lot of unknowns."
ptprice and chuzz like this.
__________________
Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 02:56 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,202
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PTCrewser View Post
I just went through this. You already mentioned the mandatory parts. I'll add these to the list:

Pull oil pan - eliminate slop in balancer chain

Consider plastigauging the crank main journal bearings to see where you're at in terms of bearing clearances

Consider installing a new oil pump

Front and rear main oil seals

Camshaft oil seals

Put a new oil pressure switch in - if not now you'll be doing it under the car

Install a new engine mount, the one that bolts to the front of the engine

New trans and torque mounts are a good idea, but can be done later

This is a big one. Pull the head and have the valves/seats ground since there's 140K miles on it. I've seen to many burnt exhaust valve topics on here to mess around. You DON'T want to deal with this later. $300 more now and skip the headache.

With 140K there are alot of unknowns.

Great list!

How did you take the slack out of the balance shaft chain? Did you just shim the balance shaft assembly or did you pull the crank loose and replace the chain?
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Mar 2017 at 02:59 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 03:21 pm
rob302's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 3,504
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

handy here for the balance chain:
Capture.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 03:31 pm
rob302's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 3,504
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

i would recommend buying no less than two books similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Performa.../dp/1613250061

and usually after reading two, one will be worth its weight in gold, and one will be fairly obviously written by someone just trying to sell books. i often refer to one for my ford that was written by a machinist and i've learned a ton from it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 03:41 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,202
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
handy here for the balance chain:
Attachment 21132
Very cool. I didn't know you could adjust the tension. As I've said many times, Rob. I believe you are the smartest guy on this forum.

Of course, you do realize I'm still going to have to go a salvage yard, pull a cv shaft our of T350 and count the splines just because of what you said earlier.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 03:44 pm
rob302's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 3,504
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I'm still going to have to go a salvage yard, pull a cv shaft our of T350 and count the splines just because of what you said earlier.
sweet.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Mar 2017, 12:49 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 166
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

Do think instead of refurbishing the valves I could buy new ones and save money right?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Mar 2017, 06:37 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 4,633
Default Re: Bought $450 PT GT engine. Help.

Even with new valves, the seats would need grinding and the valves would have to be lapped in, in order to be properly seated. I don't understand your logic on this one, if you're trying to save money.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'05 bought 3 weeks ago - engine light & won't start kmphx72 Tech & Performance Forum 2 30 May 2015 01:01 pm
Just Bought a PT Seaspark General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 16 Feb 2008 05:02 pm
Bought my new PT under 48 hrs ago chubsiewhubsie General PT Cruiser Discussions 19 13 Sep 2007 07:09 pm
Bought the bra gonzomania The Detail Shop 11 15 Jul 2004 07:31 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors