PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Replaced?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2017, 02:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Replaced?

My question is this: I have a neighbor who would really like to by an '06 PT with 118,000 miles on it. We went and looked at it in town and seems nice and presentable. It's an N/A automatic. However, it has been through multi owners as far as we could find out but we cannot find out when - or IF - the timing belt and water pump (and the other items) have been replaced. I have two PTs and still this is one item I never knew how to check. The asking price is $2150, but my neighbor really is not interested in it if he has to turn around and put over a grand into it pretty much right away. There are no records and past owners to contact (this car is on a little neighborhood car lot). I'm sure a lot of other people have this concern when purchasing an older PT. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 14 Mar 2017, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Replaced?

well I guess I look at it like this
if they cant prove it has been changed-- then you have to assume it has NOT been changed
and they need to adjust the price accordingly
Im sure they are not going to want to drop it $1000 of the sticker but either they pony up some kind of a Ok we will help get it done, or they take off a chunk of change.
Im going to say no I have a 06 Na its a nice car but it only gets 20ish MPG it is way under powered and with that amount of miles there are other things going to start going ou,t so id say if you can get it for$1500 or if they will agree to pay to have the TB changed id walk away
That is juts my Opinion as a 2006 Non Turbo Automatic PT curser owner
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Keep in mind that 06 was the first year for the TIPM, too. Some of them have had some quirks and some have not. It's a crap shoot. But I agree with cruserdad1976 about talking the price down because of the lack of knowing about that timing belt.
thecabinguy likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 02:58 pm
Banned

+1 on the advise that if they can't prove it was done, then you have to assume it wasn't and get a better price.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 03:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I will know the decision outcome probably by tomorrow. I will report back the outcome.
rckstein and chuzz like this.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 16 Mar 2017, 10:12 am
Cool Cruiser

My neighbor ended up buying that '06 PT from that little car lot. At 118,000 miles he is assuming the timing belt and the other components have not been changed. The car is so straight inside and out he decided to go ahead and have that work done by a local shop he said he trusts. He got the price down to just a little under $2,000 dollars total, including all taxes and fees. Only thing is it probably sat for a while because of the odd color of a light yellow hue. He figures for only about a $3,000 investment that he has a good car that can last him hopefully for a long time.
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 16 Mar 2017, 04:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Tell him to keep an eye on the temp gauge, The cooling fan for the radiator/AC last about 100,000 or so and he must keep it from overheating or all that work will be in vain.
Cooling fan is about $100 and not all that hard to install.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Mar 2017, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Tell him to keep an eye on the temp gauge, The cooling fan for the radiator/AC last about 100,000 or so and he must keep it from overheating or all that work will be in vain.
REALLY GOOD ADVISE RIGHT HERE
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 16 Mar 2017, 04:49 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
My PT fans don't last that long, I think my PT is on its 4th fan, the original was replaced while the vehicle was still under the manufacturers warranty 3/36,000 warranty, 2nd was an OEM, 3rd covered by extended warranty, 4th and present is from NAPA.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 09:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Best of luck to your friend.
He's a lucky guy in one respect anyway. I love that butter color on a PT. I have only seen one in person in that color and another on CL when I first was looking to buy a PT. I would have to have a complementary color interior and dash panels added though.