Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ROUGH IDLE AND MODERATE OVERHEATING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2017, 01:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default ROUGH IDLE AND MODERATE OVERHEATING

I have searched quite a bit but can't quite find definitive answers to my problems . I have a 2002 non turbo with an auto trans . 120k miles . It overheated at idle once and has had problems ever since.

It runs perfectly but will get near the red zone quickly on a hot day with the ac on going up a slight hill, otherwise it seems fine.

The t stat is working.

It takes around 10 minutes to get to operating temp in the morning at 70 degrees outside.

There is no smoke or steam coming out the exhaust.

The rad fluid test does not show any exhaust in the coolant but i don't trust that test.

I read that if it idles slightly rough like a diesel there is a problem but couldn't find out what the prob is.

Is there a bigger rad that will drop right in or is a turbo rad or griffen the only ones that can be made to fit?

Are the turbo fans better?

Do they make better fans?

Who makes a decent turbo water pump?

Who makes a decent timing chain kit?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 06:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: ROUGH IDLE AND MODERATE OVERHEATING

First things first. Are you running a 50/50 blend of anti-freeze and water? What temp thermostat is in the car? Should be a 195. Have you checked that your cooling fan is working at both low speed and high speed? And have you replaced the coolant temperature sensor? Have you tried a cooling system flush (including the heater core)? We need more information.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 07:39 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 17 Mar 2017, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
First things first. Are you running a 50/50 blend of anti-freeze and water? What temp thermostat is in the car? Should be a 195. Have you checked that your cooling fan is working at both low speed and high speed? And have you replaced the coolant temperature sensor? Have you tried a cooling system flush (including the heater core)? We need more information.
50/50

195 t stat

fan works on both speeds and bearing is good

have not replaced sensor but that won't prevent it from boiling over

yes it was flushed and i doubt it is rusty

b;ed the system to remove air pockets

thanks for your help
Old 17 Mar 2017, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum
thank you
Old 17 Mar 2017, 11:37 am
Young Cruiser

I will go ahead and assume no check engine light is present or you would have listed out all your trouble codes. So we are troubleshooting a no DTC condition. Gotta go back to the basics. The rough idle could be, but is not necessarily related to the overheating.

Does it idle rough from the 1st moment it's cold started, or is it smooth till it warms up and later gets rough? This is important for you to clarify and leads us a certain direction.

Radiator with 120K miles on it is not exactly fresh. Could have a build up inside it inhibiting heat transfer. In my years of experience on all makes of cars I've seen where people didn't change out coolant at proper intervals. It lost it's anti-corrosive abilities and literally ate away the steel vanes on the pump to a point coolant flow diminished. Overheating ensues. It would show up at idle 1st. What's the history on this vehicle?

You mentioned the car has 120K miles on it. It would be a good idea to just go ahead and replace both 02 sensors, since there is a very good chance they are original. That is the life span of those sensors and they are critical to proper air/fuel ratio. Use only MOPAR replacements.

Lazy/slow responding o2's often times will NOT throw a code and there is no way for the home mechanic to see if they are lazy/slow without specialized equipment. Those two sensors have a huge effect on air/fuel ratio at all rpms' and load, including idle. If the air/fuel ratio is lean it burns slower, resulting in transferring too much heat into the cylinder walls and ultimately into the coolant, resulting in overheating.

Another scenario is your timing belt has jumped a tooth, valve timing is off (unlikely).

Last thing that comes to mind is the health of the auto trans. A slipping auto trans can generate alot of extra heat that ultimately ends up in the engine coolant pushing it over the limit. This last scenario doesn't fit well, because you said it overheated at idle and the trans would have no effect at idle.

Last edited by 03PTCrewser; 17 Mar 2017 at 12:00 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the info

no codes

trans shifts like new

mileage is actually only 90k

some surface rust residue in upper hose . plan to fill engine with oxalic acid for 24 hours then drain

the rough idle is very minor . haven't driven it for a long time so its possible it always did that . certainly not as smooth as my lexus or acura but it is not a miss.

Last edited by barnett468; 17 Mar 2017 at 09:38 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 03:04 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
the rough idle is very minor . haven't driven it for a long time so its possible it always did that . certainly not as smooth as my lexus or acura but it is not a miss..
It's just the lopey hot rod cams, no worry's
Old 18 Mar 2017, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PTCrewser View Post
It's just the lopey hot rod cams, no worry's

thanks, yeah, that's what i figured and that must be why everyone checks me out when i pull into the local cruise night car show . ahhhh, ha, ha