PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
N/a thermostat on turbo motor

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2017, 03:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default N/a thermostat on turbo motor

I compared the two and they look exactly the same. Can I use my N/A one?
Old 21 Mar 2017, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: N/a thermostat on turbo motor

You can..

Personally I recommend buy new and by application ( year make model engine and VIN #) in your case. Most all OE replacement Thermostat are very inexpensive.

Comparing them is in noway the accurate or best way to determine if they are of the same operating specification(temperature).

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Mar 2017 at 03:39 pm.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You can..

Personally I recommend buy new and by application ( year make model engine and VIN #) in your case. Most all OE replacement Thermostat are very inexpensive.

Comparing them is in noway the accurate or best way to determine if they are of the same operating specification(temperature).
Isn't the temp usually stamped on the part? I am always torn about using old thermostats. Part of me figures, I'm in there might as well go new. Unfortunately, I've seen so many bad out of the box parts, that I usually elect to save the $10 and roll with the old one, IF it's been working correctly.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes you can. They are physically the same. However, it's far better to get the one that is specific to your PT. I prefer the Motorad thermostats sold under the NAPA and O'Reilly brands.

Stant is okay but I avoid the Superstat when I can. The fan sensors were designed to work with thermostats that open and close quickly and not the ones that gradually open. And on many Mopars, the Motorad is the OEM thermostat. It just comes in a Mopar box. But based on the reports on this forum, any brand of new thermostat seems to work well in the PT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Mar 2017 at 04:40 pm.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Isn't the temp usually stamped on the part? I am always torn about using old thermostats.
Marked Thermostats, I dont think universally speaking all of the manufactured thermostats over the years were marked . I would even hesitate to say most of the were? I am pretty sure I have some off brand T-stat that have no indication of their temperature rating on them.

Its IMO "ghetto" to reuse an old thermostat. Most all of us can scrounge a few bucks under the floor mat, crack and crevice of seats and cargo area or even rob that household coin jar.

Really go buy a NEW Thermostat.

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Mar 2017 at 04:51 pm.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The STANT SUPER Thermostat is by far the first choice used by HOT Rodders, GEAR HEADS, real experienced DIY and
professional Engine builders.

The fan sensors on the 1st Generation PT Cruiser controlled by the PCM are NOT effected negatively by the use of a STANT Thermostat.

I have sold and used dozens if not hundreds of Thermostat over the years and by far STANT has alway given the best over performance use over ALL other brands.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Marked Thermostats, I dont think universally speaking all of the manufactured thermostats over the years were marked . I would even hesitate to say most of the were? I am pretty sure I have some off brand T-stat that have no indication of their temperature rating on them.

Its IMO "ghetto" to reuse an old thermostat. Most all of us can scrounge a few bucks under the floor mat, crack and crevice of seats and cargo area or even rob that household coin jar.

Really go buy a NEW Thermostat.

I cheap out all the time, but thermostats are so cheap that money isn't the reason. As I said, I subscribe to the if it aint broke don't fix it philosophy and I have seen more than one thermostat not work properly out of the box. Therefore, when I can verify my current thermostat is working properly I just stick with it.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So many defective thermostats from a DIY?
The odds are not correct in less you were buying some off brand JC Whitney thermostat. lol Sorry..not only have I sold so many I have also installed so many and cant remember any that were defective out of the box with brand named thermostat.
Most cases it is the installer that screws up their cooling system parts during simple thermostat and or fluid changes. Look how many members have the so called steam pocket concerns when filling a cooling system with PT Cruiser manufactured after 2003. All you need to for success is follow the FSM. You see Chrysler corrected the problem that effected early manufactured 2.4 engines for PT from 2000-2002.

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Mar 2017 at 05:16 pm.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I cheap out all the time, but thermostats are so cheap that money isn't the reason. As I said, I subscribe to the if it aint broke don't fix it philosophy and I have seen more than one thermostat not work properly out of the box. Therefore, when I can verify my current thermostat is working properly I just stick with it.
You are correct that some parts prove to be more reliable if they do not fail during the first use or after the first few hours or days of use. This is specifically true for many electronics and some mechanical devices such as some types of guns and other weapons.

However, I've found no indication that this holds true for name brand thermostats for the PT. To be exact, once cars with compromised cooling systems are eliminated from the forum reports, thermostat failure in general seems to be more a function of age. Thus, replacement with a new name-brand thermostat is going to be the smart move.

I researched this pretty hard after I had a Stant fail from the get-go. But I had modified this thermostat by drilling an extra vent hole in it. And since I found no other pattern of reported failures with the regular Stant, I decided the failure was likely due to my modification even though I've done this mod for about 30 years. I did find some issues with the Superstat on other car models but not specifically on the PT Cruiser.

Based on this points, I continue to spend the $5 for a new thermostat when the opportunity arises. And I prefer the Motorad brand. But as with all other recommendations, it's just my opinion.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Mar 2017 at 05:21 pm.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Comparing mechanical and electrical items in the same break in examples.

Failed STANT was because it was mentioned drilled plain and simple. Funny how was it missed reading the technical attributes of a STANT Superstat?
The STANT BTW uses bleed notches so DONT DRILL HOLES IN IT!

Drilling a thermostat without a giggle valve in some cases a solution to helping improved a better controlled temperature in some cooling systems . NOT all benefited by drilling a thermostat. This was and still is one of those MYTHS that everybody thought was what you were suppose to do for IDK, 30 years or more? ROLMAO

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Mar 2017 at 06:29 pm.