PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.4L Turbo Radiator replacement Tips (in need of)

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2017, 08:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2.4L Turbo Radiator replacement Tips (in need of)

Ok So I have a new radiator on it's way and have already begun the removal process of the original. All non motor preparations have been taken (Grill,hood latch,hood cover etc) .

I have located the fan bolts and know to remove those, disconnect electrical connector and pull out from the top.

The next step I am just a little confused/intimidated about after reading some online resources.

I am aware I need to remove the AC condensor and once the fan is removed I am realizing that should just be a couple of bolts . Do I then just leave the condensor seperated and "floating" to then be able to just pull the radiator out after removing the lower hose?

What is this I hear about having to remove the power steering hose? And cap it off?

I just need a couple of tips from guys who have done the removal replacement so that I can do this Friday with confidence.

Thank you very much for your time.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 08:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2.4L Turbo Radiator replacement Tips (in need of)

The a/c condenser (and intercooler on turbos) bolt into the radiator. I didn't "remove" them, so much as disconnect them from the radiator so that I could pull it. I didn't touch my power steering. I was doing the intake gaskets when I did mine which gave me some more room. Pull your dipstick and tape off the hole. The plastic snaps fairly easily (don't ask me how i know) and put plenty of rags around the thermostat housing because it is pretty easy to drop those bolts/studs and they are a bitch to find.

I'm sure there were a couple of picture and video threads on here and youtube that should help.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 10:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes, as FK said, just unbolt the condenser from the radiator. Yes, just let it float while you remove the rad.

I think FK forgot about the power steering lines on the bottom of the rad. The return line from the rack connects on the bottom driver side fitting on the rad, and the return line to the pump connects on the passenger side of the rad. You will have to disconnect both sides. now is a good time to drain all of that old fluid and replace it with new stuff. Unless you are doing a full flush, which is recommended, you will at least replace probably 50% of the old stuff with new, thereby decreasing the total amount of contaminants by half.
Fk5 and rockandroller like this.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Yes, as FK said, just unbolt the condenser from the radiator. Yes, just let it float while you remove the rad.

I think FK forgot about the power steering lines on the bottom of the rad. The return line from the rack connects on the bottom driver side fitting on the rad, and the return line to the pump connects on the passenger side of the rad. You will have to disconnect both sides. now is a good time to drain all of that old fluid and replace it with new stuff. Unless you are doing a full flush, which is recommended, you will at least replace probably 50% of the old stuff with new, thereby decreasing the total amount of contaminants by half.
Yep. I absolutely forgot about those! On old auto trans cars those used to be for a tranny cooler. My car is a manual and as Mykee said, there are two p/s lines to a cooler in the lower radiator tank. They are real simple and not like the pressure hose to the pump. I just pointed them up and very little drained out. I just checked the fluid and put it back where it should be. When I restarted the car, I turned the wheels full lock in each direction and later checked the fluid again. It didn't take much.
myckee likes this.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Yep. I absolutely forgot about those! On old auto trans cars those used to be for a tranny cooler. My car is a manual and as Mykee said, there are two p/s lines to a cooler in the lower radiator tank. They are real simple and not like the pressure hose to the pump. I just pointed them up and very little drained out. I just checked the fluid and put it back where it should be. When I restarted the car, I turned the wheels full lock in each direction and later checked the fluid again. It didn't take much.

Ok So.

Fan is off and removed.

Both of those lines are P/S lines? I thought one was the transmission cooler line, either way both are removed and capped ( Sharpie cap fits in there perfectly snug, a few drips before I found that to work perfectly) . Bottom coolant line is detached and fully drained. Removed the bolts, one was horribly in place in front of the charge pipe for the turbo but I got it out using an open wrench and 1/16 turns of said wrench lol. Now I'm a little confused. From the top and bottom I have inspected and found no additional bolts but when I go to life the Radiator out, it wants to pick up the A/C condensor with it. It seems to be pulling from the bottom. I just need to find where it is connected still, is there a particular angle for which to pull the radiator out on? She's just about ready to go, just I don't want to try to muscle it out or anything after having done this all the right way up until now.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

You probably missed one. Look at your new radiator. You should see where all the holes are. Not all are used in every application, but you'll know where to look. There are two channels and there are bolts through both.

The bottom of the radiator has the standard cooler which has in/out hoses which is for a p/s cooler. Automatics should have an additional cooler up on top of the intercooler, but mine is a manual, so there is none. The factory service manual is free online somewhere, but the computer I had it on was stolen. I would look it up, it has all the pictures you'd need and should be your main resource.
myckee likes this.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 09:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Salderosa, I highly recommend a set of Gear Wrenches with flex heads. They make short work of bolts like that in close quarters. I find myself reaching for the gear wrenches every time I need a wrench now.

Link to the manual on my shared folder:

https://app.box.com/v/pt-fsm
Fk5 and Salderosa54 like this.

Last edited by myckee; 23 Mar 2017 at 09:54 am.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 10:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Salderosa, I highly recommend a set of Gear Wrenches with flex heads. They make short work of bolts like that in close quarters. I find myself reaching for the gear wrenches every time I need a wrench now.

Link to the manual on my shared folder:

https://app.box.com/v/pt-fsm
Every single time that I do a job like that I think about buying those things. Then I cut my hands up, take 5 times as long as necessary and forget about it until the next time.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Lol thats too funny. I got it out. Apparently just from being together all those years they wanted to stick together. I held the A/C condensor down as I wiggled the radiator and it came out with just a little extra force. She open and ready for install of new part, hopefully UPS picks up the damn pace and comes today or tomorrow. If not I'll be waiting till monday
Old 24 Mar 2017, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I mounted everything and slid it in from the bottom. The bolts come out better than they go in. JM2C
Salderosa54 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com