Advertisements
P0016 I give up !

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2017, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0016 I give up !

after all the work I done i give up. I took my 05 turbo PT to the mopar dealer today.
my friend owns the business so i`m trusting him. he wants to flash the PCM. i hope it works he thinks it will. it already has a " auto computer exchange " PCM dated 2010
i checked a online PCM and they want $800. i did not check for a new mopar PCM yet. i found a used stage 1 on ebay but i`m a little leary on that one.
the only thing i did not check or change is the ring on the crankshaft sensor. but if you think about it the car is a 05 the computer is a 2010 the car sat over two years before i bought it. the computers only lasted 5 years. what did i get into.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0016 I give up !

Has the timing belt been changed?

If so, my first thought is that the intake camshaft is a tooth or so out of time. This could happen with a stretched or damaged original belt too. I'd pull #1 spark plug, get the engine top dead center, pull the upper timing cover and see if that's the deal.

Here's a list of reasons for this code. Sounds like you've check most except the belt timing. And I've never heard of the tone ring slipping on a PT engine. :

* Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
* Misalignment of timing belt/chain
* Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
* Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
* Bad crank sensor
* Bad cam sensor
* Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
* Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged

Timing or damaged wiring are the most likely. You may also want to pull the camshaft sensor target magnet and look for damage and/or magnet weakness. Weakness was a thing in 2001/2002 models but almost no reports in newer models. PCM failure does occur on 2003 thru 2005 PT Cruisers but it's no more common than other Mopars. My money is on belt timing or damaged wiring.
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Mar 2017 at 06:08 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

new timing belt new tensioner, idler, water pump. timing looks perfect. even had engine running while it was sitting on jacks with the front covers removed. checked timing after wards and it was still right on. traced the wires back to the PCM they have continuity in the pulse wire, good ground and 5 volts in the power wire. both cam and crank sensor along with their connectors were changed with genuine mopar parts. i looked at the cam magnet it looked ok. i did not notice any broken parts. the only thing left is the computer and crank tone ring.
i`m pulling 19-20 hg in vacuum.

the original timing belt tensioner had the spring unhooked and the tensioner was real tight. i was hoping it was the problem.

if the car sits with the battery disconnected over night i can drive about 1/2 mile and the check engine light comes comes on p0016. if i clear the code with my scan tool it comes back on as soon as 30 seconds after i start the engine. i`m thinking its electrical. even if there is continuity in the pulse wire it could still be shorted to the body.

after i get it back and it still dont work i will have to pull the wiring harness apart.
Old 24 Mar 2017, 10:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_cruisers View Post
new timing belt new tensioner, idler, water pump. timing looks perfect. even had engine running while it was sitting on jacks with the front covers removed. checked timing after wards and it was still right on. traced the wires back to the PCM they have continuity in the pulse wire, good ground and 5 volts in the power wire. both cam and crank sensor along with their connectors were changed with genuine mopar parts. i looked at the cam magnet it looked ok. i did not notice any broken parts. the only thing left is the computer and crank tone ring.
i`m pulling 19-20 hg in vacuum.

the original timing belt tensioner had the spring unhooked and the tensioner was real tight. i was hoping it was the problem.

if the car sits with the battery disconnected over night i can drive about 1/2 mile and the check engine light comes comes on p0016. if i clear the code with my scan tool it comes back on as soon as 30 seconds after i start the engine. i`m thinking its electrical. even if there is continuity in the pulse wire it could still be shorted to the body.

after i get it back and it still dont work i will have to pull the wiring harness apart.
An engine that is in good condition with the correct timing will idle between 16-18 hg vacuum steady on most 2.4 engines. Your vacuum is at 19-20 that might indicate your timing is one tooth off.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 06:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

i had it one tooth out many times putting it in time when i put the new belt on.
i pretty sure i have it in time. now i`m second guessing. i`ll check latter on saturday to see if the computer wes flashed yet. hes not charging me so i have to wait until he gets free time.