Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Major engine overhaul questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2017, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Major engine overhaul questions

I have been debating many things with my GT. I've been doing many repairs on the suspension and the engine. Now this car is my daily driver as well as it's being set up for car shows. I'm doing all of the work myself and is been a great yet tedious vehicle to work on.

Now my issues are this:
I'm getting exhaust fumes in the cooling system so I'm suspecting a cracked head or blown head gasket. The cooling system over pressurizes and discharges out of the radiator cap. The radiator, cap, filler neck and hoses are new as well as the thermostat.

I have a slight misfire and all the electrical components have been replaced. So back to the head it was.

I'm going to buy a new complete head, valves, cams, and springs included. However, the Cams will be stock and I planned on bumping them up to a stage 1 or 2 since the head will be easily accessible anyways. I've been looking at Cower cams to swap out, change the springs to heavy duty and possibly new lifters. Timing belt kit and new head gasket set will be purchased also. I plan on going with the performance gates timing kit.

Would anyone have a great bargain when it comes to these parts or might be able to point me in a great direction concerning price.

I've already been looking at modern performance as an outlet for these as well as ebay.

Also, for a later thread, I'm going to be revamping the turbo and ECM and picking up a tuner. But again for a later post.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Catfish32; 24 Mar 2017 at 01:56 pm. Reason: Mistyped many words...
Old 25 Mar 2017, 02:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Major engine overhaul questions

Aftermarket cams on a stock turbo are a no no. If you plan on upgrading the turbo in the future still don't do it, they are a last minute item where you really will only see improvements with port work, springs, valves, etc. truly a large combination of other factors. You're money is better spent elsewhere. I'm sure Nitro will back me up when I say run NOS before cams.

First things first, get a leak down tester and see where you are loosing pressure at. Analyze and fix your problem first before you start any more modifications.

Side note, go to SDK Motorsports for head work.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Major engine overhaul questions

Ok so the Cams and cam components are a no go until the turbo is upgraded. But I am still going to replace the head and gaskets so I know that those parts are replaced and within specs. What turbo system would you suggest that would be a great price and would have a minimum modification install? Also instead of doing the cams, I'm going to open the back pressure a bit with the dual exhaust conversion from borla. Which tuner would be recommended for minor modifications? I've been going back and forth between the DiabloSport Trinity and the predator.