Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More P2305 engine code issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2017, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default More P2305 engine code issues

I'd like to start by saying thanks to all who post on this forum, you have helped me countless times. Here's my recent problem and a brief history on my wifes PT. 2004 non turbo bought new, now 170,00 miles New timing belt at around 70,000. While driving a few weeks ago, The PT started running rough and had no power. Engine light comes on. Wife askes me what to do. I say lets get it home. A few more miles down the road it dies. We coast to the side of the road. We have power but car won't even turn over. So we get it towed home. After some checking I find a blown fuse the FP/ASD fuse. Blows a new one as soon as I hit the key. After some research here on the forum, I found the upstream 02 sensor was the culprit. So I replace the sensor and car starts up no blown fuse but runs bad. Engine code P2305. New plugs and wires don't help. Pulled No. 1 plug wire while running and car almost dies, getting spark. Pulled No.2 wire no change in idle so no spark there. Thats where I'm at currently. Any Ideas? When the 02 sensor went bad did it damage the PCM?
Old 25 Mar 2017, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: More P2305 engine code issues

P2305 - Ignition Coil No. 2 Secondary Circuit Insufficient Ionization Conditions:

If PCM detects that the secondary ignition burn time is incorrect or not present an error is detected.

Possible Causes:

1. Intermittent condition Cylinder No. 2 spark plug or wire is damaged or it has failed
2. Ignition Coil No. 2 is damaged or it has failed
3. Ignition coil control circuit is open or shorted to ground
4. ASD relay output circuit problems
5. PCM has failed

How are you resetting the engine trouble codes to see if the same code comes back?

Try removing the spark plug wire from cylinder #2 and check the ohm resistance. Make sure its less than 10,000 ohms.

Are you getting spark on cylinder #3?

One of our members indicated after replacing the crankshaft sensor that it fixed the P2305 code.

2005 2.4 Turbo stalls sets code P2305

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Mar 2017 at 06:24 pm.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.
I'm resetting the codes by unhooking the battery. I haven't checked the No. 3 or No. 4 cylinder for spark. I did a bunch of reading on this forum about p2305 so I'm aware of what the code means. I figured Checking 1&2 cylinders would verify the secondary coil was where the problem is. Since the coils seem to rarely be the issue. I'm worried about the PCM since the 02 sensor went bad and caused a short that was blowing the fuse. This is a basic timeline of what happened. Car starts running bad,engine light comes on , A few miles down the road the car dies. Car has power but wont turn over. Check next day blown fuse. replace fuse blows immediately when turning key. Replace upstream 02 sensor after unhooking until no blown fuse. All codes gone except p2305 and running rough. Seems to running on 1&4 cylinders, will verify this tomorrow. So seems the original problem was 02 sensor went bad causing the engine light and the running bad then shorted. Found this possibility from this forum, blows No. 13 fuse which causes the car to die. Now I'm worried that the PCM may have been damaged. Does that make sense?
Old 25 Mar 2017, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First thing I would suggest is check to see if you have no spark on cylinder #3. If no spark check the coil connector. Some members have seen one of the pins in the coil connector get pushed in and not making contact.

Post back what you find.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did read about the connectors getting pushed in but that hasn't been touched since the car was running good. I will double check it when I check 3&4 cylinders. I only disconnected the 2 O2 sensors before I found the bad one. Nothing else was bothered. Could the new 02 sensor be bad without a different code? Maybe a connector on the 02 sensors? I would think that I would get a different code if it was from the 02 sensors. What do you think?
Old 26 Mar 2017, 12:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

First thing you need to do is get an OBDII Scan Tool. Disconnecting the battery does not erase the engine trouble codes. You need to do this before we can verify you are still getting the same engine trouble code.