Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Imakenocents
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2017, 03:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Turbo owners question

2004 GT Turbo.jpgI just purchased a 2004 Gt ( see attached picture ) that I bought sight unseen other than the pictures. I was told by the owner that she believed it had a blown head gasket, and it very well may have a blown head gasket. My question is related to the turbo charger. I have not worked on one of these Pt's that is turbo charged to this point. I have have had this car at home now a few days and today I finally raised the hood and looked around for the obvious signs of trouble. The oil is full and relatively clean with no signs of coolant in the crankcase but the radiator coolant level is down and is milky and obviously mixed with oil. The car will start easily and has no detectable misfire, seems smooth, and is not smoking out the exhaust in the minute or so I ran it. Now for the question, Is it possible the coolant and oil are coming together at the turbo charger through an oil seal leak within the turbo and not through the cylinder head or gasket? I plan to tear it down anyway with current mileage at 93,500, and change the timing belt and related components in the belt area and while I'm in there I'm going to replace the head gasket anyway since not much more work is required to removed the head, as I've done with the others I have repaired. I'm quite uneducated on these turbos but I do know they receive oil and coolant circulation no doubt for the bearings in the turbo. Just wanted to see what you experienced turbo owners thought of those initial indications.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo owners question

The oil cooler between the filter and block have Ben known to leak into the oil. Being low on coolant could be any of the usual suspects. If no sweet smell to exahast i would look at the other causes of transfer. Turbo itself is not likely.
Imakenocents likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Mar 2017, 06:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: Turbo owners question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The oil cooler between the filter and block have Ben known to leak into the oil. Being low on coolant could be any of the usual suspects. If no sweet smell to exahast i would look at the other causes of transfer. Turbo itself is not likely.
Thank You, Busted, based on my current observations I do believe I have a dual issue going on but I think a better outcome than what I had initially anticipated.

1) I think the oil cooler is the culprit for the oil being mixed in with the coolant in the radiator, right now I do not suspect the head gasket is blown. If necessary I will do further testing in that regard.

2) After getting a good look at the bottom of the car it does appear the water pump has been leaking, which, as you know, is a common failure on these cars.

I have ordered a new oil cooler and I'm going to change the timing belt and related components in that area while in there. Thanks for the assistance!
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 06:37 pm
Banned

Default Re: Turbo owners question

It's a beautiful PT, hope you get it running without having to put too much $ into it
Imakenocents likes this.