PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Uneven engine run

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2017, 06:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Uneven engine run

I've had the cruiser since July last year and changed sparkplugs among other things. Sometimes the engine ran a little uneven (missing some sparks) and sometime hesitated when accelerating. I changed the ignition cables about 4 months ago (got wrong ones the first time) and it was running like a dream but yesterday it started running a little uneven at times again. We only drive the car short drives and not every day so it's probably only been driven a maximum of 300 miles since the sparkplugs where changed. Any special component that normally gives up on these cars that could be faulty or what else could it be? Compression test was even on all cylinders in July when i changed the sparkplugs.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Uneven engine run

The problem is most likely carbon build up because you're just short trip driving it mostly. You need to get it out on the highway and drive it at normal interstate speeds for a half hour or so. It's not getting up to the correct engine temp for long enough. Take it out and dive it and step on it a few times while you're at it. I'll bet you the performance improves. If you're not going to drive it for any length of time or distance, you MIGHT want to consider a hotter spark plug. I just noticed that you're in Stockholm. I don't know your highway systems there, so don't know if there's anywhere you can go and open it up. Are you close to the Autobahn?
03PTCrewser likes this.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.

Last edited by chuzz; 28 Mar 2017 at 07:10 am.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 03:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Just wondering about the carbon build up. Is that a specific problem with the cruiser? I mean I have 4 other cars that I drive the same way and no problems. Because I find it hard to motivate my wife who doesn't like to drive more than necessary to go for an extra 1/2 hour drive on the freeway just to decarbonize the engine. It couldn't be a camangle/crankangle sensor or anything like that, beginning to get bad?
Old 29 Mar 2017, 03:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Do you have access to an OBD2 code reader? It might give you a clue about pending error codes.

Dash.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 03:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashinson View Post
Do you have access to an OBD2 code reader? It might give you a clue about pending error codes.

Dash.
I do but there are no error codes.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 05:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Maybe a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank will help. Perhaps you have one sticking?

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there IS no cure for stupid.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep,

Try a bottle of fuel cleaner. I've found the STP in the read bottle works about as well as the one in the white bottle that's specific to fuel injected cars. Just put it in with about half a tank of fresh fuel or better and drive it. That's what I would try first.
Old 29 Mar 2017, 11:46 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed9msi View Post
Just wondering about the carbon build up. Is that a specific problem with the cruiser? I mean I have 4 other cars that I drive the same way and no problems. Because I find it hard to motivate my wife who doesn't like to drive more than necessary to go for an extra 1/2 hour drive on the freeway just to decarbonize the engine. It couldn't be a camangle/crankangle sensor or anything like that, beginning to get bad?
On my 97' Grand Cherokee (uses the same crank pos sensor body - different style plug) it was common for it to go out around the 100K to 150K mark. It would not throw codes at 1st, you'd just get random missing and cutting off. Heat from the engine seemed to trigger it during the early stages of failure. Like it was fine till the engine warmed up. Then as things progressed it would do it hot, or cold. Very random and intermittent. If you do decide you want to replace the cps use only genuine OEM or you'll just continue to have problems down the road.

I like the carbon deposits comments. Sometimes there can be a build up of carbon on the backsides of the intake valves that is somewhat absorbent. If built up enough it can absorb enough fuel to cause a lean miss.

Don't know if it's an inherent problem in the PT or not. Comes from not enough heat and not enough high RPM operations, so I suppose it could be. PT's are typically not driven hard by their owners.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 02:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Already put the Redline injection cleaner in a while ago but no big difference. What about the plugs, any special brand/type that's preferable or are the cruisers not sensitive about this? Reason for asking is that the Miata is very sensitive to both plugs and wires.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 07:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Just stay with the OEM recommended CHAMPION spark plugs. My Mopars have always had Champions. Except my 2013 Chrysler 200. It came with NGK plugs and that's what I use when I change them every 30,000 miles.