Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squeaky a/c compressor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2017, 11:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Squeaky a/c compressor

Hello everyone, my a/c compressorry is driving me crazy. Sounds like a dry bearing sound. When I bought the car there wasn't a splash guard in the pass inner fender well and who knows how long it was driven in the rain,ice, and snow. I have installed one but for now I just picked up a new belt for one without a/c. Should I unplug the harness on the compressor? Or just leave it plugged in? Will it hurt anything if the compressor clutch engages without it spinning? Or will it cause it to stick engaged if not spinning? The bypass will only be temporary until I fix or replace the comp. I enjoy my a/c on a hot day.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 12:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Squeaky a/c compressor

Well, I pulled splash guard off and realized either have to get a a/c delete pulley or fix issue. When I put on the junkyard splash guard I thought there was room to just not install the shorter belt onto the comp but I was wrong. It would be so nice if you could leave the comp on and just switch to a shorter belt, say like at the track or something.

Last edited by Silver_Sleeper; 14 Apr 2017 at 01:19 pm.
Old 14 Apr 2017, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Its time to give your PT Cruiser engine compartment a complete cleaning. It is pretty easy. Spray down everything with simple green and go for it with the garden hose and good HP hand held control nozzle. The only area that you kinda want to spray very little is on the PCM. Although should you get a little wet it will dry.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Apr 2017, 08:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Its time to give your PT Cruiser engine compartment a complete cleaning. It is pretty easy. Spray down everything with simple green and go for it with the garden hose and good HP hand held control nozzle. The only area that you kinda want to spray very little is on the PCM. Although should you get a little wet it will dry.
I did some cleaning last week with degreaser after a few hour trip. On my way home, everytime I would stop my oil light would come on. But if I kept the revs up it wouldn't. Got home and popped the hood and oil everywhere. ...ahhh...traced it to the oil pressure sender. I guess it just decided to work it's way loose?