Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 A/C problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2017, 01:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 A/C problem

I figured I'd get the ac ready for the upcoming summer. I vacuumed down the system for a hour, Started the car and added the first 12 oz. The fan is on, but the compressor isnt coming on. I tried jumpering the low pressure switch and the compressor isnt coming on. I checked all the connections. Checked the fuse. Any ideas? Pressure is really high also, 100 psi on the low side.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 03:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 A/C problem

When the compressor is off, the pressures will equalize. 100 on the low side when it's not running is normal. When you say that you jumpered the low side switch, you are talking about the one on the drier, correct? If so, and you had the A/C on, then it should have engaged the clutch. I am also working on the assumption that your '05 is like my '01.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 21 Apr 2017, 05:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by badams270 View Post
I figured I'd get the ac ready for the upcoming summer. I vacuumed down the system for a hour, Started the car and added the first 12 oz. The fan is on, but the compressor isnt coming on. I tried jumpering the low pressure switch and the compressor isnt coming on. I checked all the connections. Checked the fuse. Any ideas? Pressure is really high also, 100 psi on the low side.
Which fuses did you check?
There are three; the dash fuse-block #7 (25 amp) protects the blower, it is OK as the fan is on.

The under-hood PDC fuse #11 (10 amp) protects the compressor clutch power through the A/C compressor clutch relay. If it fails, the compressor will not engage.

For a non-turbo
On the coil side of the relay, all these switches need to be closed in this circuit to operate the power relay:
Dash fuse-block #12 (10 amp) - A/C compressor clutch relay coil - PCM - A/C pressure transducer switch - A/C low pressure switch-climate control switch - ground

The turbo is slightly different on the coil circuit
Dash fuse-block #12 (10 amp) - A/C compressor clutch relay coil - PCM -A/C low pressure switch-climate control switch - ground
The turbo PCM has a separate circuit through a different design A/C pressure transducer switch.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Which fuses did you check?
There are three; the dash fuse-block #7 (25 amp) protects the blower, it is OK as the fan is on.

The under-hood PDC fuse #11 (10 amp) protects the compressor clutch power through the A/C compressor clutch relay. If it fails, the compressor will not engage.

For a non-turbo
On the coil side of the relay, all these switches need to be closed in this circuit to operate the power relay:
Dash fuse-block #12 (10 amp) - A/C compressor clutch relay coil - PCM - A/C pressure transducer switch - A/C low pressure switch-climate control switch - ground

The turbo is slightly different on the coil circuit
Dash fuse-block #12 (10 amp) - A/C compressor clutch relay coil - PCM -A/C low pressure switch-climate control switch - ground
The turbo PCM has a separate circuit through a different design A/C pressure transducer switch.

The only one I didn't check was the #12 under the dash. I'll check it out tomorrow after work.

Is there a easier way to get to the high side port? I hope that engineer got fired for putting that down there like that!
Old 21 Apr 2017, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
When the compressor is off, the pressures will equalize. 100 on the low side when it's not running is normal. When you say that you jumpered the low side switch, you are talking about the one on the drier, correct? If so, and you had the A/C on, then it should have engaged the clutch. I am also working on the assumption that your '05 is like my '01.

Yes the one on the drier, I got nothing. When I turn the ac switch on the cooling does start like its supposed to.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So, I checked the relay. Its got power on the pins that should have power. Then I checked the compressor for power. Its got power to the coil, so the clutch should be engaged. I'm assuming I'm going to need a new clutch coil.