PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do I remove rear subframe bushings 4 eurethane bushings?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2017, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do I remove rear subframe bushings 4 eurethane bushings?

I don't want to burn them out, I was thinking of using a long bolt with a cup on the other end, to push it out so I don't have to remove the subframe to torch it like the others, (I already did the other bushings)

Then just use the same method to install the eurethane bushing

Has anyone else done it like this?

Just wondering as I might go another route

I was considering doing a rear disc conversion but the nearest yard that has one is a 4 hour round trip, but at least I would have the whole assembly ready to swap

The drums probably need to be serviced soon with 135k on them and it is $110 shipped to do a rebuild of everything, the disc rear subframe is $150
Old 22 Apr 2017, 11:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How do I remove rear subframe bushings 4 eurethane bushings?

First, welcome to the forum. You should post about yourself and your PT in the new members sections.

I've done the rear disc conversion. It works well. I plan to do another one this summer if time permits.

As far on the "subframe" (rear axle leading arm bushings) go, they are mounted in hangers on the leading arms. If you support the rear axle, you can take the four bolts out, drop the hanger down a little bit, and then remove the tie bolt. Do this one side at a time while the other side is still attached. Otherwise, the whole rear axle assembly may try to "swarm" on you.

Once removed, you can use the method of your choice to remove the bushings. However, my question is why do this? I have yet to see a PT where these bushings are badly worn. And I've seen some really old and ragged out PT's at salvage yards. Some of the bushings will develop a squeak, but they can be lubricated. In any case, I can't really see an advantage to replacing these specific bushings with polyurethane. To me, it doesn't seem that adding extra firmness at these hangers will do much at all. If you are trying to reduce roll, you might consider a rear sway bar instead.

EDITED: A friend pointed out that you may be talking about the rear bushings on the front lower control arms and not the bushings on the rear axle leading arms. In that case, the best solution is to replace the lower control arms with the Moog redesigned "Problem Solver" control arms. Rock Auto has very good prices on them. Again, I cannot see how polyurethane insert are going to do much there. The Moog Problem Solver control arms bushings have a ball and socket in place of the problematic rubber bushings. You can purchase just the redesigned bushings and press them in. But getting the whole control arm is the better choice. I've done it both ways.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Apr 2017 at 09:20 am.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

The bushings have a lot of flex in them, when I was replacing the rear shocks, springs, bell crank and watts links, I could twist the arm easily and the back and forth swaying was bad, if I can move it that much the force of the car is able to throw it around, and I'm sure they will help take the load off of the watts link bushings, I bought moogs, and they unfortunately resized the bushing, so I will have to make my own

I have installed Prothanes in my neon and they perform much better than the rubber, and they last longer too

I'm wondering if my idea of using a long bolt and cup (like from a ball joint tool kit) has been done

I definitely want to install the bushings one way or the other
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

on the rear subframe swap, I'm guessing that you just hook the rubber lines from the disc brakes onto metal the brake lines from the front of the car (and the ebrake cables)

I'm thinking of rather than hauling the whole subframe from the junkyard that I just grab the parts that are needed and leave the rest of the axle assembly
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Rear Upper Control Arm Bushing Tool

Are you wanting to do something like this?
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlee34983 View Post
The bushings have a lot of flex in them, when I was replacing the rear shocks, springs, bell crank and watts links, I could twist the arm easily and the back and forth swaying was bad, if I can move it that much the force of the car is able to throw it around, and I'm sure they will help take the load off of the watts link bushings, I bought moogs, and they unfortunately resized the bushing, so I will have to make my own

I have installed Prothanes in my neon and they perform much better than the rubber, and they last longer too

I'm wondering if my idea of using a long bolt and cup (like from a ball joint tool kit) has been done

I definitely want to install the bushings one way or the other
On a 1st Gen PT, the part numbers are 05093787AA and 05019044AA. But you need to confirm these numbers yourself. OEM bushings are not that expensive. You should be able to replace these with a shop press. I've always had good luck with polyurethane, but I've never tried it in this location. Let us know how it goes.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

exactly, I'm wondering if anyone has done that before, I'm pretty sure it will work, I have done bmw's like that

I will make one if none of the cups I have will work, a trip to the hardware store and some time with some power tools and a welder and I should have something

Just wondering if someone has done it like this, I'm trying to disconnect as little as possible, but I will yank the whole thing and burn it out if I have to and use some speedbleeders to bleed the brakes myself (of course capping the metal lines from the car so I don't bleed the master dry
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

I've used a drill bit followed by an airsaw and then sandpaper to clean out just the rubber. Not on a PT though. On older bushings sometimes the drill bit will walk around the shell and peel it out for you.

I'd probably go the drill/airsaw method of the cup method didn't work... Or maybe a hole saw spinning backwards so it melts more and catches less

Last edited by rob302; 23 Apr 2017 at 09:58 am.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would consider that if you do replace those bushing that you would be one of the first. There fore I would learn as you go and be the one to report based on experience

I have done extensive modification to a PT rear axle assemble including a final powder coating form a donor PT and never needed to replace the bushing on that one or the one currently in my PT. Also I have replaced suspension parts on about 5+ other PT Cruisesr and never saw any wear from those bushing, Odds are they could operate in that area unless damaged for decades without servicing.
Also the design as they are changing to a different harder or even solid bushing or bushing with a sealed bearing will have no real effect except may increase road noise to the passenger compartment.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Apr 2017 at 11:24 am.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 11:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

nitro

did you throw new bushings in this?
http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3efb1605.jpg

did you install a stiffer bushing that comes without the shell?
Trailing Arm Bushings - Chrysler PT Cruiser - 5.7113