Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
warped head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2017, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default warped head

when I was a mechanic at nissan we had to shim the cam towers for every 10 thousands we had removed when surfacing the head. is that an issue on the pt heads, I'm looking at removing about 30 thousands.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: warped head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
when I was a mechanic at Nissan we had to shim the cam towers for every 10 thousands we had removed when surfacing the head. is that an issue on the pt heads, I'm looking at removing about 30 thousands.
Past tense?
haha what you are no longer a mechanic because you no longer work for Nissan?

1.6 and 2.4 Chrysler engines with HLAs surfacing to .030 is fine
In most cases the timing belt tenser should take up the amount your are going to surface.
DCR reports removing different amount up to .120 without concern but I would not do that to any head myself. I believe the safe cutting max is .080 or .060 to increase CR 1 point.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ya I tried to stop being a professional mechanic about 15 years ago, but your right, I'm still a mechanic. ask any of my friends. Thanks, didn't want to make it worse than it already is..
Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hey any chance of noticing an improvement in power with the increase of compression, just a thought
Old 26 Apr 2017, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ya I tried to stop being a professional mechanic about 15 years ago, but your right, I'm still a mechanic. ask any of my friends. Thanks, didn't want to make it worse than it already is..
hmm that sound close to home...I get all the calls from friends and family.

You will enjoy the PT Cruiser. Easy to work on and rewarding when they run well.

Quote:
hey any chance of noticing an improvement in power with the increase of compression, just a thought
...like any other engine, it is all about the fuel quality and octane available. If you have a none Turbo model 1.6 or 2.4 1/2 point may not be noticed a full point may cause PCM quirks needing to be addressed?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Apr 2017, 06:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

the need for a very good machinist is very important...but I very much doubt you'll hit more than a few .1 higher if the head isn't warped. what you will notice is over all performance goes up and because of that... mileage goes down- slightly, but slightly. lets see if I can remember the formula...
cylinder volume plus combustion chamber volume divided by combustion chamber volume

and cylinder volume is...
bore squared times 3.1417 times stroke then divided by 4000.

but that's for euro/Japanese stuff. and its fact that if you don't round pie up to the (7) instead of six the math wont match the manufacter... also this formula I know works for mm/cc's so I'm not sure if its the same? I bet your head guy could tell you and probably ramble on about it worse than I am. if he's good... the result probably wont be the same as Chrysler's figures but its just a starting point. if these figures ring true then I can get you the formula that tells you the comp ratio needed for a certain octane and the formula for how much to skim off.... believe it or not there are determined formulas for every target, but like nitro said, youll need even more to determine valve and ignition timing... then you too can hit 140mph!
Old 26 Apr 2017, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
cylinder volume is...bore squared times stroken divided by euro/Japanese stuff you round pie up to six for mm/cc's so .. the result probably wont be a starting point these formula tells comp ratio octane and how much to .. believe it or not for every target nitro ignition timing... then you hit 140mph!
Joe I would always come to you for an electrical problem in my house or shop that is for sure!
...but for calculation and formulas with engines ...

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Apr 2017, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks guys, I appreciate all your advice and knowledge, but as an old school mechanic, I fashioned me a perfectly flat surface and lined it with the finest of sand papers, started a little course and worked my was down to 220 grit.

Right now I'm at 0.003 measurable gap under the center of the head, by the time I get to 1000 grit it should be smooth as a babies rear end and flat as my feeler gage will measure.

but it is a lot of elbow grease and sweat. nice and sunny here in central calif.
Ill keep you updated as I get done. thanks again
Old 27 Apr 2017, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Joe I would always come to you for an electrical problem in my house or shop that is for sure!
...but for calculation and formulas with engines ...

I'm not a residential electrician. ive been assembling my teams race motors for over 20 years. you tell me whats wrong and then I can deal with it. don't be a idiot.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did anyone check the heat for cam rock. The exhaust side is usually the one to look at.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com