AC line repair

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2017, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC line repair

Fellow MacGyvers.

I have a leak in the suction line (used UV Dye) and see its coming from where the rubber hose meets the pipe that goes to the condenser. I hear this part is a big "B" to change. Just looking to get it done the easy way before having to pull out the jack, wrenches and obscenities.

I saw on YouTube some people clean the area and use JB weld and it holds well, well enough some say for works for years. I was wondering if it can be cut and MacGyvered using hose clamps or should I go with the JB weld route.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC line repair

The fix is to replace it.

JB Weld is not really for sealing high pressure automotive AC lines. Not to mention potential dangerous if the bond were to fail unexpectedly if you were under the hood performing any service.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 09:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Are you sure it's not damaged in the middle of the rubber hose? A 4 " section of mine was worn/rubbed through where the two lines run together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
broken AC line, $0
6" gas pipe with threaded ends, $2.99
2 hoseclamps, $3

result:

i know it isn't the right way, but it was 100 out and i had a lot of driving to do. i fixed it in the parking lot, charged it, and it worked great. this will never wear through and it still holds pressure and still works properly a full year later.

I did this and it outlasted my car.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 29 Apr 2017 at 09:49 pm.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPTCRUISERGT View Post
Fellow MacGyvers.

I have a leak in the suction line (used UV Dye) and see its coming from where the rubber hose meets the pipe that goes to the condenser. I hear this part is a big "B" to change. Just looking to get it done the easy way before having to pull out the jack, wrenches and obscenities.

I saw on YouTube some people clean the area and use JB weld and it holds well, well enough some say for works for years. I was wondering if it can be cut and MacGyvered using hose clamps or should I go with the JB weld route.
No JB Weld.

If the hose is long enough, it may be possible to saw off the crimping ferrule, cut the rubber hose back to a fresh section, reinsert on the fitting (now without a ferrule) and double clamp with two screw clamps.

HOWEVER, this is always a bad idea with it comes to AC lines, even on the suction side. Freon is very expensive nowadays as is having the system vacuumed down. Any mistake and you've wasted a lot of money. Plus, if the hose is leaking at the ferrule now, the rubber is likely deteriorated and may crack and leak again. And again, a repeated fix is expensive.

For me, I'm going to replace the hose. Not just because it's what a shop would do following a manual, but it's also the smart answer to avoid an expensive repeat fix. And it also eliminates the chance that the repaired hose will blow off releasing the freon to the atmosphere and/or hurting your while you're under the hood. Replacement with a new hose is just the right answer for a number of reasons.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Apr 2017 at 10:03 pm.
Old 02 May 2017, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks gents