Advertisements
Rear Link bushings

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2017, 05:03 am
Young Cruiser

Default Rear Link bushings

2001 Cruiser, base, 2.4 120K

I'm getting a slight knock from rear of car when driving off , coming to stop: sounds like there is enough play in the links to produce this sound.

I'll be replacing the rear link bushings and wondering if there are other sources for the knock.

Also, gas tank filler neck is pretty rusted, any sources for replacement?

Thanks
Old 03 May 2017, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Link bushings

In the rear, the most common reason for the knock is the watts link. Also, the 2001 PT has a rear sway bar and the rubber bushings wear out on the rear axle. The bump stops above the rear axle on each side also seem to crumble on these early PT's.

Also, if you develop a "clunk" in the front when going over a bump or pothole, that one is often the rear bushings on the front lower control arms. Moog makes a redesigned "Problem Solver" replacement control arm that takes care of this issue so it doesn't return.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 May 2017 at 09:01 am.
Old 03 May 2017, 09:01 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks -

I'll take a closer look at the watts link.

I've replaced both control arms up front which seems to have corrected any problems.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 03 May 2017, 09:15 am
Young Cruiser

I'll be searching for info but thought I should ask:

Any suggestions on replacing the watts link for an amateur mechanic?
Old 03 May 2017, 09:36 am
Cool Cruiser

My rear end link bushings went bad this week and I have ordered new links from moog as I was unable to find just the bushings. I've already replaced my watts link and lateral arms, so I checked the links first and was able to feel a vibration in them and hear an annoying screech when moving the car up and down. I ordered part K80264 (I also have an '01).

As for fuel filler neck, there are replacement dorman ones on rockauto for about $55.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 76k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Sound System
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVX3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1
Old 03 May 2017, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
My rear end link bushings went bad this week and I have ordered new links from moog as I was unable to find just the bushings. I've already replaced my watts link and lateral arms, so I checked the links first and was able to feel a vibration in them and hear an annoying screech when moving the car up and down. I ordered part K80264 (I also have an '01).

As for fuel filler neck, there are replacement dorman ones on rockauto for about $55.
K80264 is a sway bar link. Right? I used Prothane bushing for this when I added a rear sway bar to my 2005 GT.

Old 03 May 2017, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
In the rear, the most common reason for the knock is the watts link.
I think you meant to say "BELL CRANK" the watts link Assembly most components will go 100K miles. I am refering to the arm that seldom need replaceing.
Hey with all those 50 junk yard PT you have access to you could collect all them clean them up and offer um up a great price for members changing thier worn "BELLCRANK"?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 03 May 2017, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The use of polyurethane center support bushing on a daily driver may in short time get on your nerves for the squeaking they will produce if not serviced when operating in a dust, hot, extremely cold or dry environment. The lube some are supplied with tends to collect dirt which which is not the best idea for protecting the bushing of this type. The companies that manufacture these bushing started offering the grease/lube because of the number one complaint of noise. This dates back to the early 80's. These harder bushing really do nothing to improve how the sway bar works anyway. See previously posted picture from another member. The better approach for these replacement bushing is to use OEM aftermarket or MOPAR original bushing.

The end links by all use the polyurethane!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 May 2017 at 10:02 am.
Old 03 May 2017, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I think you meant to say "BELL CRANK" the watts link Assembly most components will go 100K miles. I am refering to the arm that seldom need replaceing.
Hey with all those 50 junk yard PT you have access to you could collect all them clean them up and offer um up a great price for members changing thier worn "BELLCRANK"?
The watts link assembly is the whole thing. Chances are if you need to replace the bell crank, you should replace the links as well. Seems like they got replace on your wife's PT. Also, I've used the Prothane bushing for many years and have never had the squeaks you report. Perhaps you should start reading the manual when you attempt mechanic work. Maybe you will have better luck with parts.

As far as the salvage parts sells idea, I do great with my side business already. Just wish the tax man didn't know that. But I see you having to work part time in that shop. Maybe cleaning and reselling used parts would be a good idea for you to help make some pocket change. PM me and I'll give you some business tips.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 May 2017 at 10:13 am.
Old 03 May 2017, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The watts link assembly is the whole thing. Chances are if you need to replace the bell crank, you should replace the links as well. Seems like they got replace on your wife's PT. Also, I've used the Prothane bushing for many years and have never had the squeaks you report. Perhaps you should start reading the manual when you attempt mechanic work. Maybe you will have better luck with parts.

As far as the salvage parts sells idea, I do great with my side business already. Just wish the tax man didn't know that. But I see you having to work part time in that shop. Maybe cleaning and reselling used parts would be a good idea for you to help make some pocket change. PM me and I'll give you some business tips.
NO NO NO NO LOL Todd really dude why you keep giving bad information. lOL

How many of the arms wear out. Also most none why. Look at how they are made what they do and how they are pretty well protected from the environment.

Um.... and NO I only replaced the BELL CRANK and bolt on our PT Cruier. LOL
Go re-read my posting about this and what,when and where I replaced.

As for your experience with polyurethane bushing naturally you are the ONE that never had issues with them ROLMAO

Do you post this fancy information on other vehicle forums really dude. Even your buddy murky most likely many times thinking dude???? polyurethane bushings do make noise! LOL. Not to mention countless users on this forum posting about the noise of the polyurethane bushing. I think if you look I posed information on what is the BEST lubricant to use on them a few years ago. This is based on not only selling, installing ENGINEERING, polyurethane for decades!

as for your other personally direct azz-o-olic comments directed at me...get a life dude! Oh wait yours passed you by already! Now it is called midlife crisis!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 May 2017 at 10:34 am.

Tags
gas filler neck, rear link bushing