PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Oil Light

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2017, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Oil Light

Hey guys, I just bought a single owner 2003 PT Cruiser (non-turbo) from a little old lady down the street. It only has 58k miles on it, but whenever I drive it for an extended period ( an hour or so), the oil light comes on and starts "dinging". She says it's been doing it for a little over 6 months and despite her a recent oil change, the problem persist.

I haven't heard any noise from the engine, but I am still a little concerned. I check the oil level and everything looks good.Could it be a bad sensor? Possible clog? Oil pump going bad?

Also, I have her receipt from Wal-Mart TNL. The oil was changed on 3/38/17 and they used 'Quaker Star 5w30' and a 'FRAM COR3614' filter. Would a better quailty oil/filter possibly solve this ongoing problem?
Old 04 May 2017, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Oil Light

Welcome to the forum.

"Probably" nothing to worry about. There's been loads of PT owners with the same problem and 9 out of 10 times it turns out to be a bad Oil Sending Unit that's located on the back of the engine. If your handy, you can replace it yourself but it's a little back-breaking job because of where it's located. A mechanic could probably change it out with 1/2 hour labor or stretch it for a full hour.

Please go to the Welcome thread and introduce yourself to the other members of the forum. Tell us a little about yourself and the PT. Post a couple pictures of your PT if you can.
Old 04 May 2017, 06:02 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaquan View Post
Hey guys, I just bought a single owner 2003 PT Cruiser (non-turbo) from a little old lady down the street. It only has 58k miles on it, but whenever I drive it for an extended period ( an hour or so), the oil light comes on and starts "dinging". She says it's been doing it for a little over 6 months and despite her a recent oil change, the problem persist.

I haven't heard any noise from the engine, but I am still a little concerned. I check the oil level and everything looks good.Could it be a bad sensor? Possible clog? Oil pump going bad?

Also, I have her receipt from Wal-Mart TNL. The oil was changed on 3/38/17 and they used 'Quaker Star 5w30' and a 'FRAM COR3614' filter. Would a better quailty oil/filter possibly solve this ongoing problem?
Welcome to the forum

Rob might have something to say about this, another "little old lady" strikes again
Old 04 May 2017, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, guys. I figured it was probably a switch or maybe the wrong kind of oil.

I plan to replace both. What type of oil/filter do yall recommend?
Old 04 May 2017, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, there's a particular person on this forum, when he sees this he'll tell you to use nothing but "emzoil" but maybe that has a little something to do with him selling it. If your PT came with a manual, go by what it says for weight and stick with a regular schedule. As long as you do that, almost any name brand of oil/filter will do. You don't need to use Synthetic in the non-turbo but you can go longer between changes if you do.

Did the little old lady keep any service records? At 58K on your PT it's practically just broken in so you should be able to keep it for a long time, if you so desire. There are some quirky things on the PT that tend to give people problems and you found one of them (Oil Pressure Sending Unit). The radiator fan also gives people problems so keep an eye on the temperature gauge, especially with the A/C on.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 May 2017 at 06:24 pm.
Old 04 May 2017, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

She never did any a tune up, so I replaced the plugs, wires, and filter. The AC doesn't work, but I am having it looked at tomorrow. The CEL is on and has been for a couple years (I'm guessing probably the oil switch?) Since we live in a non-emission county, you can still pass inspection wit ha CEL, but I still plan to have it looked at.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 04 May 2017, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

You can retrieve the trouble codes yourself. Here's a video that shows you how.

Old 05 May 2017, 01:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You can also get an auto parts store to read the codes for free or just buy an OBD2 code reader (they come in very handy for the DIY fixers).
~$50 for a dedicated Harbor Freight reader/clearer
$80 for a permanent display unit like the Ultra Gauge (very handy)
$20 for a Bluetooth or Wifi ELM327 wireless reader for your Android or iPhone/iPad with plenty of free software to display readings and read/clear codes.

I heard that maintenance schedules are based on miles AND/OR time. With a 14 year old car, wouldn't that mean the drive and timing belts are due for replacement as well as a check of suspension and engine mounts?
Old 07 May 2017, 10:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same issue on my 2003. Changing the oil pressure sending unit fixed it. Pretty cheap and pretty easy to replace.
Old 07 May 2017, 11:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had an 03 that the oil light would come on shortly after start up during the warmer months, but If I shut it off and restarted it acted normal until the next startup. Go figure..
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh