PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
once again overheating issues.

 
Like Tree6Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 07:14 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 90
Default once again overheating issues.

I have a question.

i had an overheating issue a while back and it seemed to be my coolant somehow dropped levels.

Got taht all resolved.

also got an OBD II scan tool.

ever since this overheating issue happened I run the scan tool and monitor my temps constantly. They ran perfect for months.

Yesterday I noticed it got very hot. well hot to me. got up to 220. Came home, ran a fault code check and nothing came up.

I then ran a regular scan test and did find this. I don't think this is related but i also don't know exactly what this is.

I turned the car on to warm it up and see what happened and it got to 217 and I never heard the fan come on. I had the fan replaced about 2 years ago but I'm guessing that's it, and of course I can't afford this.

Anyway, from looking this up it appears to be an emissions issue. my car passed arizona emissions a couple months ago.

These two aren't related me thinks, but i was hoping someone could tell me about what temp the fan should be kicking on.

Thanks

here's the error from the evap.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 08:23 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 183
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

Here's the fan control chart from your previous thread. showing when the fan kicks on and off.


Not familiar with the obd scanner you have. Can't help there.

As to the fan operation, I don't notice or hear the low speed kick on. I haven't really checked it since I replaced the fan last year. But while sitting in traffic w/o A/C running, my ultraguage reports coolant temp will rise to about 212 then start dropping down to about 192 over the course of about two minutes, at which point it will start creeping up again, so I am assuming giving some lag time for fan cooled coolant to reach temp sensor, that my fan's low speed is working correctly. With the A/C on and fan running, temp stays in the mid to high 180's range. Driving at hiway speeds, A/C on or off, it runs in the 184 - 188 range. I use Xerex G5 50/50 coolant and have a SuperStant 195F thermostat in it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 08:29 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 90
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robadat View Post
Here's the fan control chart from your previous thread. showing when the fan kicks on and off.


Not familiar with the obd scanner you have. Can't help there.

As to the fan operation, I don't notice or hear the low speed kick on. I haven't really checked it since I replaced the fan last year. But while sitting in traffic w/o A/C running, my ultraguage reports coolant temp will rise to about 212 then start dropping down to about 192 over the course of about two minutes, at which point it will start creeping up again, so I am assuming giving some lag time for fan cooled coolant to reach temp sensor, that my fan's low speed is working correctly. With the A/C on and fan running, temp stays in the mid to high 180's range. Driving at hiway speeds, A/C on or off, it runs in the 184 - 188 range. I use Xerex G5 50/50 coolant and have a SuperStant 195F thermostat in it.
I can tell when the fan kicks on if I turn the a/c off i can feel the rpms drop just slightly when it comes on. I wish my temps were about 10 lower, they'd be about where yours are reading

Yup. i noticed these temps after watching for a few months.

First cycle always goes higher for some reason. goes to 214 or so. drops to 195 to 197 then rises to about 206 to 208 and the fan kicks on and brings it down.

It was 108 here a week ago and it would get up to 212 consistently and drop to 201 to 203 and I was ok there based on the ambient temp

It started rising a lot yesterday then on the way home it actually got to 224 at the red light (eternal turn light) so I ran the light to get home. Interesting part is I learned through research the mfr puts 'slack' in some guages to keep people from getting worried when they shouldn't be. When the car got to 224 it was still at the mid-line. just to the top of it, but it hadn't gone over yet. it was just about to

This stinks. i have to take it in at 8am PST. going under the bypass is stop and go for about a mile. There are no places to turn off either. Only thing I can think of is leave the a/c off (does turning the heater on help? i can't imagine it would), and turn it off if i know the light is going to take awhile.


Also to note. This morning I used my multimeter to check current. At 205 the meter read right taht power was going to the fan, but they didn't turn on. So i don't think it's a fuse, an ecm or electrical, i am pretty sure it's the fan itself. which sucks because that wasn't cheap a couple year ago when i replaced it.

This will be a very stressful drive.

I have AAA i wonder if I should just call and have it towed

Last edited by story97; 09 May 2017 at 08:32 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 09:37 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 183
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

did you check to see if running 12v directly to the fan connectors run it? Could be a dirty or loose connector. Make sure the fan itself is the problem before putting a new one in.


I put a Dorman fan in last year, lo speed is very quiet, I never hear it kick on and off inside the car. Hi speed, it sounds a bit loud and really moves a lot of air. Think the hottest I've seen it get was 214F sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour. I threw on the A/C and it dropped pretty quickly to 190F.

Of course, the idiot temp gauge on the dash sits right on the bottom of the middle marker from 188 to, so far 214 w/o a hint of movement. Does anyone have a clue at what temp it starts moving above the middle mark? That gauge is useless, by the time it starts moving up, you're already in danger of overheating.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 10:20 am
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,826
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

Did you check your coolant? I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong. The idiot gauge hasn't even read hot yet. You are still in the acceptable range. I constantly check the ultragauge because I've had so many leaks. My car is a stock GT and it runs around 203, or less if it is cooler out. It will go up to around 219 when you first start.

I have to admit that the only times I noticed it go over 220 were when I still had air pockets being bled out of the system, but it is fairly normal for it to hit up around 220 when you first start out. If you didn't have the gauge you wouldn't even know.
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 10:29 am
MJKnight's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Sutton WV
Posts: 805
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

my 01 would have air in the system causing overheating
to fix it..
I would run the car up on ramps to fill the system
let is set a bit ...
it was ok after this..
may be a thought..
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 10:31 am
rsrocket1's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 756
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

My PT always went high on the first cycle when there was an air pocket in the cooling system. Before you drive it after letting it sit overnight, open the radiator cap and check the level of the coolant. It should be right at the top and the underside of the cap should be wet and dripping. Also check the level of the reservoir tank. It should be at the marker line. NitroPT gave me a good tip when he put a couple of drops of orange or red food coloring in the tank. It doesn't harm anything but lets you clearly see the level of coolant in the tank.

Do this for several days in a row. If you are losing coolant, be sure your radiator cap is working to spec. You can get a loaner coolant pressure test kit at places like Autozone or OReilley's to pressure test both the cooling system and the cap. It comes with a plastic adapter that looks like the top of the filler neck on both sides so you can attach the cap to it and pump it up.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 10:42 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 90
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Did you check your coolant? I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong. The idiot gauge hasn't even read hot yet. You are still in the acceptable range. I constantly check the ultragauge because I've had so many leaks. My car is a stock GT and it runs around 203, or less if it is cooler out. It will go up to around 219 when you first start.

I have to admit that the only times I noticed it go over 220 were when I still had air pockets being bled out of the system, but it is fairly normal for it to hit up around 220 when you first start out. If you didn't have the gauge you wouldn't even know.
yeah i did check the coolant, and the resivoir. I actually marked the resivor so i could see as time goes on if it changes. it stayed perfect.

I also know the thermostat is working because it did cool down the first time, but even getting up to nearly 220 the fans never came on.

I used my voltmeter and checked, they registered getting power when it should be coming on, and I made sure the fan blades turn.

i'm praying it's a relay or ecm or fuse.

I have AAA so instead of risking it i had it towed to a shop just now free.

I'm having him do a pressure test, radiator flush and track the problem. thankfully they were very slow so he had it in the bay before I even left.

Not much else I could really do at that point, I'd tested everything I could think of
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 10:43 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 90
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
My PT always went high on the first cycle when there was an air pocket in the cooling system. Before you drive it after letting it sit overnight, open the radiator cap and check the level of the coolant. It should be right at the top and the underside of the cap should be wet and dripping. Also check the level of the reservoir tank. It should be at the marker line. NitroPT gave me a good tip when he put a couple of drops of orange or red food coloring in the tank. It doesn't harm anything but lets you clearly see the level of coolant in the tank.

Do this for several days in a row. If you are losing coolant, be sure your radiator cap is working to spec. You can get a loaner coolant pressure test kit at places like Autozone or OReilley's to pressure test both the cooling system and the cap. It comes with a plastic adapter that looks like the top of the filler neck on both sides so you can attach the cap to it and pump it up.
I did that. i bled the system last time I added coolant too, but mine cycles hot the first time around every time. I put a high pressure cap on too.

I just replaced the fan assembly a couple years ago, but it seems I found last time that this is a common issue. Hopefully 2 years wasn't enough to kill it
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 May 2017, 10:44 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 90
Default Re: once again overheating issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKnight View Post
my 01 would have air in the system causing overheating
to fix it..
I would run the car up on ramps to fill the system
let is set a bit ...
it was ok after this..
may be a thought..
i never thought about putting it on ramps to fill it. Does that really help? i've got ramps
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overheating issues SamanthaB Tech & Performance Forum 5 13 Apr 2014 09:00 am
overheating issues - again :( Garya1682 Europe PT Forum 12 02 Aug 2013 02:14 am
Overheating issues jkdrummer Tech & Performance Forum 3 25 Jun 2012 09:36 pm
Overheating issues Skeletor Tech & Performance Forum 7 24 Jun 2012 09:23 pm
'08 AC and overheating issues --- HELP! Mitsukai Tech & Performance Forum 5 08 Aug 2011 11:59 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors