Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2017, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil consumption

I have an '03 Cruiser with only 93,000 miles on it and in the past few thousand miles, it has suddenly started going thru a quart of oil every 2000 miles. It is not smoking out of the tailpipe and it runs fine.

I thought it might be the PCV valve, so I took it off and it rattled when I shook it, so it is probably OK. I did notice when I put it back on, the hose that attached to it is cracked just a little at the very end. Could this cause a problem?

Also, is it normal for a 2.4 liter to use this much oil with only 93,000 miles?

Also, would high mileage oil help any or is that just a gimmick?

Thanks.
Old 09 May 2017, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Oil consumption

You will hear many different responses to this question.

Some people go through a quart every 2000 like you while others will not burn at all. Personally myself I go through a quart about every 3000 since I received it at 104K. At 156k now it is still consuming oil at the same rate. I believe the owners manual states that the consumption of 1 quart every 1000 is considered "normal", but where you are below that level I would say you are okay .If your PCV valve hose is cracked I would certainly think it could affect your oil consumption. Otherwise, I'd also check to see if your valve cover gasket might be leaking especially where it started leaking so suddenly.

If your PT is starting to have worn piston rings, which would contribute to oil consumption, you should be able to confirm that with a vacuum gauge test.
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 76k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Sound System
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVX3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1
Old 10 May 2017, 02:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Oil consumption

From our first meeting to now, the 2004 NA 5-speed that I drive has gotten about 1000 miles per quart of oil

I do not think the owners' manual makes any claims, but an internet search will find claims that Chrysler has stated such oil consumption is within their tolerance (to avoid massive recall?)

I have a vacuum gauge that stays steady and consistent and suggests no ring or valve problems

Under the hood and car, all is clean; the motor is tight and has no leaks
All standard maintenance is done, pipes and PCVs and etc's are functioning properly
The oil apparently gets cycled through the PCV-intake system and burned
Certainly my cheap DIY oil catch can catches oil (less than a quart per 1000 miles)

Consider! For a driver who changes the oil every 5000 miles, it is as though, one quart of oil added every 1000 miles, over 5000 miles results in a complete oil change between oil changes