Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HURST SHORT THROW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2004, 03:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default HURST SHORT THROW

Has anyone bought one and installed it themselves? How difficult was it to install? Does it really shorten the throw?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 03:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Also, where can I buy these booger bushings I've heard about?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 05:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It does shorten the throw and it is really easy to install. The main problem is removing or repositioning the console for access, although in many cases, all you need is to lift it high enough to access the shifter. Otherwise, you would have to disconnect the parking brake cable from under the car. The OEM shifter ball will just pop off, need to use a pair of pliers under the ball and around the shaft and hit up with a hammer. Be careful, the ball will pop off forwards, towards the dash or windshield. Regardless of what the instructions say, DO NOT disconnect the shifter cables from the main shifter bracket or you will have a bear of a time getting the clips back on. The replacement shifter bracket floor bushings supplied in the kit can be changed without removing the shifter cables OR you can just leave the stock floor bushings in. Not much difference either way. Use a good grease (some Hurst kits include a grease packet, some don't) on the shifter pivot ball, actuator, and spring (and floor bushings, if you decide to change them). Can see the Installation procedures here (with pictures):
http://ptcw.truckmoxie.com/tenarticl...-shape_shifter

Would suggest buying some Blue Loctite to put on the threads and use a torque wrench to torque down all the threaded parts. Need to buy hex bits, 7/32 and 3/16, so you can tighten the supplied Hurst bolts (sleeved bolt and shifter stick). Regular Allen wrenches will work but you may not be able to tighten the bolts sufficiently enough to keep them from eventually backing out. I use an extention on the 7/32 hex bit to tighten the sleeved bolt.

Can purchase "Booger Bushings" here:
http://www.boogerracing.com/
and there are other links at that site to other booger bushing resellers/retail stores.

Here is my instructions on how to modify one of the booger bushings to fit the Hurst sleeved bolt that screws into the right side of the Hurst Shifter:
http://ptenthusiasts.org/PTForums/sh...37&postcount=7

The other bushings can be pushed out of the cable ends and replaced easily with the booger bushings and just snaps/locks into place.

Forgot to mention to be careful with the bottom plastic shifter that the shifter pivot ball fits into. Besides removing and fitting it to the stick, there are locating pins molded into it, so when you reinstall the shifter back into the main shifter bracket, make use it everything matches/lines up before tighten the bolts.

Any other questions, just post in this thread. Should take you about 2 hours at most and that's taking your time with a couple of breaks.

Hope this helps.[8)]
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Would you recommend using the booger bushings? I own a 2003 TE, and bought it new. Only have 11000 miles on it. Thank you for the plethora of information, I'm sure it will come in handy when I do the install.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 11:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes, Booger Bushings is worth the install and cost. The OEM bushings are a honeycomb design that gives you the rubbery feel or has too much flex built into the design. Have seen many OEM bushings wear out, harden, or break after a few years of normal driving. With the solid Booger Bushings installed, you will feel/hear the transmission click/shift solidly into place and with the Hurst collar adjusted correctly to limit overshifts and the chance of cable stretching, you will be very happy with the both the Hurst shifter and Booger Bushing install. Better to change everything while you have it apart. You will be happier in the long run.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 03:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

i have the hurst and it really didnt feel that good until i put in the booger bushings.
now im thinking about cutting the weight off of the linkage but not sure if it will help much at all.

If you dont want to spend the $160 for the hurst you could get the boogers and drill a second hole in the pivot at the transmission, the neon guys have been doing this for years and the stock shifter lever isnt all bad ('cept for that knob flying off into the back)