PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001,2007 Junk yard Camshaft Sensor

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2017, 05:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2001,2007 Junk yard Camshaft Sensor

I received a P0344 flashing code for a camshaft sensor.

I went to a junk yard and grabbed a smelly one from a 2007 PT which was exactly like mine, and a 2001 one that was cleaner looking and had the hood down which wasn't affected by the elements.

It looks exactly the same. The side piece right next to the air filter with 2 bolts.

Would the year in difference make a big difference? Is there a way to test it some how. Better yet, can I just clean it with soap and water or degreaser lol. Thank you in advance

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 May 2017 at 06:23 pm.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001,2007 Junk yard Camshaft

Your talking about an electrical part from a crashed vehicle that you have no idea if it's a working piece or not. This is something that will bring the car to a dead stop while driving around or leave you stranded in the parking lot when everyone else has left. Do yourself a favor and break down and put out a few dollars for a working new sensor. Just my $.02
Old 12 May 2017, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: 2001,2007 Junk yard Camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Your talking about an electrical part from a crashed vehicle that you have no idea if it's a working piece or not. This is something that will bring the car to a dead stop while driving around or leave you stranded in the parking lot when everyone else has left. Do yourself a favor and break down and put out a few dollars for a working new sensor. Just my $.02

LOL. Dang, if you say it like that, I have to agree. lol. Ive just put so much $ into this. It is a MOPAR part if that counts.
And Ive read your post about purchasing the cheaper parts online.
Ill take your advice. TY
Old 12 May 2017, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The year model doesn't mater. If your taking it off a crashed car. It was most likely running when it crashed. This part you will not know when if ever it will fail. I have no problem useing a used one. Avoid cracked ones. Get two if cheap. Keep it and a 8mm wrench handy for grins and giggles. A new one doesn't guarantee no failure. So you decide what you want to do. You have to opposite opinions to choose from. Two different philosophies.
2007ptc likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2017, 06:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007ptc View Post
LOL. Dang, if you say it like that, I have to agree. lol. Ive just put so much $ into this. It is a MOPAR part if that counts.
And Ive read your post about purchasing the cheaper parts online.
Ill take your advice. TY
You best get the cooling fan issue taken care of, before you overheat your PT, and cause huge repairs.
2007ptc likes this.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The target magnets are different, but the sensor it's self is usually the same and it fits a lot of different Mopars.

But this specific electrical parts seems to wear out with use. Thus, failure is really common. I'm a big fan of salvage parts. But in this case, I'd buy new. If this thing fails, your 2nd Gen PT is going into limp home mode and that's what you will be doing. Just go to the parts store and get one in a name brand. Or go to the dealer or online and get the original Mopar version. They don't cost that much.
JDK52 and 2007ptc like this.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001,2007 Junk yard Camshaft Sensor

We on this forum see more of this because this is were they come with a problem. Many cruisers die from various problems. Many with the original sensor. So don't sweet it. Fix your heating as stated. That is way more likely to get you down on the side of the road.
2007ptc likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2017, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
You best get the cooling fan issue taken care of, before you overheat your PT, and cause huge repairs.
Thanks,
silly question(semi off topic) while looking up fans. I put in 2007 pt cruiser rad fan, and the majority of them come with No Relays. The ones that do are more expensive.
Do I need relays, or are these fans so well advance that they dont need them.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post

Ive read it takes 2 hours to do. I was in the lot pulling out fans with in 20 minutes, but then again, they already had the antifreeze fluid hose cut and drained off. I will do this first. thanks again
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The year model doesn't mater. If your taking it off a crashed car. It was most likely running when it crashed. This part you will not know when if ever it will fail. I have no problem useing a used one. Avoid cracked ones. Get two if cheap. Keep it and a 8mm wrench handy for grins and giggles. A new one doesn't guarantee no failure. So you decide what you want to do. You have to opposite opinions to choose from. Two different philosophies.
Ha. Good idea. I basically have my garage in my back seat for this reason. I'd almost rather test a used mopar part than a new over seas part with the reviews about them. When the gasket was wore, alot of oil leaked out on top of it. Im hoping thats the reason why, and not a whole new wire set! UGH!!! I probably have tetnis from all of the cuts i got today lol