PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Running hot

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2017, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Running hot

Hello everyone I have an issue with my wife's 01 with 170000 miles. It's started running warmer than usual last week, using only the temp gauge in the dash it's gone from the midway line to in between the next line up and will climb up to the 3/4 line on a hill? Doesn't go all the way to "red" zone, yet? I've checked the fan found the low speed relay was bad so I replaced it and the fan comes on as it should high speed also works. During my diagnosis I found the AC is blowing hot air not sure if it's related or not? Anyway I've replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor and symptoms remain any ideas? Could use some suggestions.

Last edited by OScruiser; 15 May 2017 at 07:44 pm.
Old 15 May 2017, 07:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Running hot

Welcome to the forum from Texas. You might think about checking the radiator.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 15 May 2017, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome. The radiator has crossed my mind. It must be slowly clogging up? There are no leaks and the coolant is about a year old. But the radiator is probably the original? The car is on the Washington coast with plenty of salt in the air.
Old 15 May 2017, 08:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

If the thermostat, water pump and rest of the system is good, the radiator is my next thing to look at. With age they can build corrosion at the end of the cooling tubes.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 15 May 2017, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm hoping it's not the water pump? Not sure how to check that? My other vehicles it's obvious when the water pump goes out. We've owned this car since 114000 miles, I'm assuming the water pump timing belt was done before I bought it? I know that when I bleed the system coolant is coming up not a lot of pressure but it's enough to blow the air out into my bleed tank. I have a radiator ordered for tomorrow we'll see unless I get some other ideas from this forum?
Old 15 May 2017, 09:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OScruiser View Post
I'm hoping it's not the water pump? Not sure how to check that? My other vehicles it's obvious when the water pump goes out. We've owned this car since 114000 miles, I'm assuming the water pump timing belt was done before I bought it? I know that when I bleed the system coolant is coming up not a lot of pressure but it's enough to blow the air out into my bleed tank. I have a radiator ordered for tomorrow we'll see unless I get some other ideas from this forum?
There's no guarantee that the water pump was replaced when the vehicle was around the 100,000 mile mark for the recommended interval to replace the timing belt. The only thing that is recommended is the timing belt, but there are a number of other things (timing belt, water pump, tensionser, idler pulley, cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount with new bolt) that should be replaced, at the same time while the area is opened, up to keep your PT running for another 100,000 miles.

What number owner are you? You might try going to a dealership and they should be able to pull up any service history that was done on the vehicle at any dealerships. Perhaps it will have info on the timing belt work, it if was done at a dealership. It's most likely been replaced as it would be highly unusual that you are still on the original belt at that mileage.

Welcome to the forum

Last edited by rckstein; 15 May 2017 at 09:30 pm.
Old 15 May 2017, 09:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does it get hot at high speeds as well as low speeds?
Old 15 May 2017, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It runs around the same temp except when climbing a grade it heats up to the 3/4 mark. Doesn't get any hotter at signal lights, I can hear the fan running. Smells hot when you stop.
Old 15 May 2017, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

One thing you can do to check service records easily and freely is to put your car in the mycarfax app which you can put on your phone. Most, but not all places report service records which the app finds and tells you. It is a very handy tool especially when looking for records on older cars. That's actually how I figured out that my transmission was replaced years before I acquired my PT.
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 76k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Sound System
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVX3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1
Old 15 May 2017, 09:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When you go up hill your EGT ( exhaust gas temperature ) raises and the PCM should be retarding timing and increasing fueling to lower the temperatures. If your cooling system has issues undiagnosed or if you might have a head gasket problem you may only find them doing some tests. The first is to properly check using a scan tool at the diagnostic port for DTC engine codes. Next and easiest mechanical test would be to pressure check the cooling system. The next step would would be an engine block test. This is to check for unburned combustion fuel in the coolant.

Has the radiator cap been checked out?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 May 2017 at 10:02 pm.