Burning oil coming from engine along with smoke and stalling out

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VsandFords
  • 1 Post By DavidHoodwin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2017, 11:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Burning oil coming from engine along with smoke and stalling out

I was driving my 02 pt today and it started to act up meaning it started to overheat really badly. So I turned the vents on to help keep the engine cool bcause the relays went out for the radiator fan. Just pulled the spark plugs Sunday and replaced them. Ran fine but then this problem arose. It's to the point where the vehicle smells like burning oil but no visible leaks at all. Stalled out completely and lost brakes as well as. Vehicle won't turn over. I've added oil checked it and just am lost on what is going on. The odometer reads 85,634. Any input.
Old 16 May 2017, 11:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Burning oil coming from engine along with smoke and stalling out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHoodwin View Post
I was driving my 02 pt today and it started to act up meaning it started to overheat really badly. So I turned the vents on to help keep the engine cool bcause the relays went out for the radiator fan. Just pulled the spark plugs Sunday and replaced them. Ran fine but then this problem arose. It's to the point where the vehicle smells like burning oil but no visible leaks at all. Stalled out completely and lost brakes as well as. Vehicle won't turn over. I've added oil checked it and just am lost on what is going on. The odometer reads 85,634. Any input.
First thing I would suggest is that if the engine starts to overheat in the future pull over and shut the engine off. Have the PT Cruiser towed home.

How long did you run the engine with the engine temperature in the red?
Old 16 May 2017, 11:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not long Everytime it went in the red it get cooled down when I'd get back up to speed. Umm it just stopped on the highway completely and won't turn over. Did it all day. I park it in the shade to keep the engine cool. Added 2qt of oil plus fuel injection cleaner v power gas from shell umm plus added new spark plugs after it chugged and sputtered around. Surprised the spark plugs didn't just shoot straight out of the hood
Old 17 May 2017, 12:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Not long Everytime it went in the red it get cooled down when I'd get back up to speed. Umm it just stopped on the highway completely and won't turn over. Did it all day. I park it in the shade to keep the engine cool. Added 2qt of oil plus fuel injection cleaner v power gas from shell umm plus added new spark plugs after it chugged and sputtered around. Surprised the spark plugs didn't just shoot straight out of the hood
I would suggest checking to see if your pistons are seized to the cylinder walls.
Old 17 May 2017, 07:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Do you add oil to it every time it gets hot? You REALLY need to stop monkeying with it because it seems like you don't know what you're doing. The FIRST thing you need to do is run the computer codes and post them. Unless you have a starting point, you're just wasting your time.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 May 2017, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
First when you say the engine "won't turn over", do you mean that the engine will not turn at all? Or do you mean that the engine spins while trying to start but just does not start?

Normally, when these engines overheat, the head gasket fails and there is little if any compression in one or more cylinders. Sometimes coolant flows into one or more cylinders when the vehicle sets for a while. Wtih coolant in a cylinder, the engine may not spin when trying to start.

The oil situation you describe is less common for a PT engine. If the pistons started to stick in the cylinders walls when the engine overheated, the cylinder walls may have become scored allowing oil to pass the oil ring on the piston. Also, an oil ring could stick and brake allowing oil to pass. Additionally, the head could crack or a valve stem seal fail. But these situations are not reported as much when these engines overheat. The fist scenario is much more common.

If the engine does not spin, you can try turning the engine by hand with the key turned off. Put a socket and large breakover bar on the crankshaft bolt and try to turn it. If no joy, try this again with the spark plugs removed. If it then turns, look for coolant being pumped out one or more spark plug hole.

If the engine does spin with the starter, perform a compression test and look for coolant and oil in the cylinders.

In summary, if you have just lost compression and/or have coolant in the cylinders, then repair may be feasible. If the engine is truly seized and/or is pumping oil into the cylinders, engine replacement may be the better course of action. At least it gives you something to talk about with your mechanic if you don't do this kind of work yourself.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 May 2017 at 07:25 am.
Old 17 May 2017, 08:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
This sounds like you have known about the fan relays beings bad, it's an ongoing problem and you where pushing your luck. The hard true is that it may have gotten hot one too many times. An overheated engine can give off a burning oil smell because of burning all of the residual oil and dirt that has built up on the outside of the engine.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 May 2017, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

The engine spins as if it wants to start but then nothing. No leaks no cracks nothing visible. Um really haven't done anything to it but change the spark plugs. I know the we're bad I'll post the pic of them if needed
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 17 May 2017, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The engine spins as if it wants to start but then nothing. No leaks no cracks nothing visible. Um really haven't done anything to it but change the spark plugs. I know the we're bad I'll post the pic of them if needed
In this case, you may have a failed head gasket due to the overheating. Do a compression test. I figure you will find you are very low on one or more cylinders. You may also find coolant in the cylinders. Could the burnt smell be burnt antifreeze? And yes, let's see those "sparkler plugs".

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 May 2017 at 08:56 am.
Old 17 May 2017, 09:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

On my phone and can't figure out how to get the pics uploaded