PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
just to verify timing marks lining up

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2017, 02:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: just to verify timing marks lining up

I can tell you this. There are 2 marks on each of the cam gears. All 4 must fall on that ruler line across the bolt heads. Since the engine is tilted in the engine you can easily find your self starting to button up the job and still being wrong and a tooth or so off if you don't verify all FOUR marks are in line. I just finished up the job on my PCH PT and it was on install of belt number 5 when I hit the marks just right.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 19 May 2017, 03:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was using a straight edge long enough to pass through both pulleys, but then got some advice from this post:
Timing Belt Change, I think I've Hit Rock Bottom

P.S. if you mess up, you can loosen the bolt that holds the tensioner pulley far enough so it almost comes out, you'll then have enough slack to remove the belt. Same with installation, once the belt is over the tensioner pulley, there is enough slack to re-tighten the bolt even if it is so loose the pulley wobbles. At least for me, slipping the belt over the tensioner was a hair pulling event.
Old 20 May 2017, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
I can tell you this. There are 2 marks on each of the cam gears. All 4 must fall on that ruler line across the bolt heads. Since the engine is tilted in the engine you can easily find your self starting to button up the job and still being wrong and a tooth or so off if you don't verify all FOUR marks are in line. I just finished up the job on my PCH PT and it was on install of belt number 5 when I hit the marks just right.
You cannot line all four marks and the cam center line. You disregard the outer marks. They are for a 2.0 engine.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 May 2017, 12:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I beg to differ. If the outer marks are for a 2.0 why would they be on the 2.4 side of the pulley? I feel like the four mark setup is a failsafe for those of us who are doing the job with the engine in the car. It insures that the optical delusion of the center marks being correct, that being the engine canted to the rear and you are looking down at them rather than straight at them, does not allow you to set the belt wrongly, as in my first four attempts.
Old 20 May 2017, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You cannot line all four marks and the cam center line. You disregard the outer marks. They are for a 2.0 engine.
I think that you explained it in another thread that there are 2 sets of timing marks because the cam gears can be in either location, there is not a left and right, and if they are switched, you still have only the center marks that matter.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
143K Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '83 - '93
Old 21 May 2017, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I think that you explained it in another thread that there are 2 sets of timing marks because the cam gears can be in either location, there is not a left and right, and if they are switched, you still have only the center marks that matter.
You are correct about the interchange . Regardless the outer marks are not 180 of the inside marks. They don't design for do it yourself crowed. They done even design for the trained mechanic. Do some research and you will find that I'm correct on this. Outer marks not used in this procedure. Every service manual out there will tell you what I have.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 21 May 2017 at 01:43 pm.