PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
just to verify timing marks lining up

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2017, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default just to verify timing marks lining up

after belt swap. the bottom one will be lined up with the mark on the cover and the two cams will line up with each other. Ive ran engine some

I was also wondering if anyone has a way to mark timing mark on the crankshaft gear so I can look down in the timing cover and see the mark . I was thinking of cutting a small groove in the gear. ive just had to pull it back apart as it seems there is a small miss in the engine.
Old 17 May 2017, 01:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: just to verify timing marks lining up

It sounds like your timing is lined up. I do not have a suggestion on marking the crank gear. That's a long way down from the top for an old guy like me to see any more.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 May 2017, 01:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

I marked points on the belt, the cam sprockets and the crank pulley so the marks line up with the sprockets/pulley when everything is lined up properly.

Even if you are off by one tooth and mark the next tooth in the wrong direction, once you hand spin the belt through 2 revolutions and line up the sprocket notches, it will be obvious that you need to move the belt one tooth in the other direction.

I don't have a picture of it, but I also marked the belt and crankshaft pulley as shown in the yellow marks of this picture.

It is OK to run the engine with the outer timing belt covers off and the center mount/torque struts off with the engine simply held in place with a jack stand just to make sure the engine runs smoothly and check for water pump leaks even with the water drained from the system. I ran it for about 30 seconds, but up to a minute is probably safe.

Old 18 May 2017, 08:56 am
Regular Cruiser

I used my daughter's day-glo orange nailpolish to mark the gear tooth on the crank sprocket. Made it very easy to see from above while setting the camshafts.
Old 19 May 2017, 07:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok I think I have it. I have the passenger fender and headlight off as the fender was rotted at the bottom. car still has a miss. then again im running it with out any mounts. I wish mopar would of put grooves in the cam sprockets to insert a bar so both cams can be locked in place. ford zetec did this. its just a little aggravating for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0518171257.jpg (87.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0518171257a.jpg (91.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0518171257b.jpg (93.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0518171257c.jpg (89.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 0518171257d.jpg (84.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 19 May 2017, 08:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Looks good but can't really tell 100% due to angle of your picture of cam gears. The grooves should look like like they were cut with one chisel straight across, no difference in the angle of the lines. you can run a straight edge across the centers of the cam bolts, timing marks should fall inline with it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg timing mark.jpg (53.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 19 May 2017, 08:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did not think about the straight edge. ill try it.
btw how much slack should be in the belt on the front part of the belt closest to the radiator
Old 19 May 2017, 08:35 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd75 View Post
btw how much slack should be in the belt on the front part of the belt closest to the radiator
Virtually none.

Be sure to only rotate the engine clockwise when checking and turn the assembly from the crankshaft bolt.
Old 19 May 2017, 08:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd75 View Post
AS little as possible. I snugged up the balancer bolt then used a rachet to hold it in place. my helper held the crank and belt in place on the crank as I put the belt on holding tension on it preventing it from slipping or turning the crank. when you put the belt over the cam gears, the exhaust cam (rear cam) will appear to be a half tooth below the intake cam (front cam), once you get it over the tensioner and put the tension on the belt, it will pull the exhaust cam in line with the intake cam. Two revolutions of the crank back to it's timing mark and the cam marks should be straight across.

Ensure that all your vacuum lines are in place, throttle and cruise cable (if equipped) are not stretched and pulled out of their fittings, and you can start the car at this point and it should idle smoothly (at least as smooth as before the job.). If you're off by one tooth you will get a very rough idle.
Old 19 May 2017, 11:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Like this:

You can buy cam locks:
OEM 2 pcs. cam clamp set 24360 - Read Reviews on OEM #24360
but they're a little expensive.

You can also use binder clips or carpenter's spring loaded clamps to hold the belt in place on the sprockets as you thread the rest of the belt around the tensioner.