Advertisements
2006 Cruiser with start then die issue

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2017, 03:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 2006 Cruiser with start then die issue

Hi all,
I've been reading through the forum for ideas for a while now (lots of great threads) but it's time to throw my problem out here and see if there are any new solutions.
I've got a 2006 2.4L Touring with about 70K miles. A few months back it started the start then die issue (no security light or codes). Pryor to this problem, it did seem that my gas mileage had started getting worse. So far, I've changed the crank sensor and examined the wiring leading to it (no problem that I could see) with no joy.
From everything I've read here, I'm leaning toward a SKIM related issue but any ideas are welcome. I only have one key so I guess the question of the day is, if I just get this key cloned at someplace like Home Depot, will the cloned key pick up the same issue if the key I have is the problem?
Old 17 May 2017, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Cruiser with start then die issue

If me, I'd first just go have a cheap non-sentry duplicate of my key made. Then I'd see if it does the same thing with that key. Truthfully, you should be getting the red sentry light if the SKIM is not reading your sentry key. So if you get the red light with the non-sentry key but don't get it with the sentry key, then chances are it's not a SKIM problem. Be sure to clear any codes this test sets off since that will just complicate things later.

Also, the camshaft sensor fails more than the crank sensor. But both often throw codes. A failing fuel pump may not set a code if the engine doesn't run long enough to detect a lean condition. If you rule out the SKIM, it all boils down to fuel, fire, compression and/or timing.
Old 17 May 2017, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking your fuel pressure if you don't have any engine codes being triggered. Make sure you are getting 58 +/- 5 PSI.

You could try and see if it makes a difference by spraying starter fluid in the throttle body.
Old 17 May 2017, 05:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the response guys. This has at least helped me decide what direction to go in next. First, I'm going to pull the "Idle Air Controller" see how it looks and clean or replace. Any idea where (and what type connector) the connector to test the pressure is on the 2006? I have no real experience in working with fuel injection systems... (HEAVY SIGH)
Old 17 May 2017, 11:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If me, I'd first just go have a cheap non-sentry duplicate of my key made. Then I'd see if it does the same thing with that key. Truthfully, you should be getting the red sentry light if the SKIM is not reading your sentry key. So if you get the red light with the non-sentry key but don't get it with the sentry key, then chances are it's not a SKIM problem. Be sure to clear any codes this test sets off since that will just complicate things later.
Hey Handy,
So I couldn't get your key idea out of my head until I finally gave up and hit the hardware store. As far as starting and stalling goes, you could not have told a difference. However, with the test key I got the blinking security light that I don't get with the security key.... So at least now I feel pretty safe in looking elsewhere for the problem. GOOD THINKING !
Old 18 May 2017, 04:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Okay, new information. In working on the Cruiser today I've slow charged the battery over night and pulled all of the ground connections I could find and shined them up. No change. Before I put the air box back in, I decide to try a couple shots of starting fluid, first two starts no change. The third time I started it, it kept running. After a minute I shut it off restarted and it ran fine both at idle and revved a bit for a good five minutes.... Shut it down, installed the air filter and now it's back to dying after start!!
Any ideas? (PLEASE)
Old 18 May 2017, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would check for vacuum leaks. Check the vacuum hose going to the brake booster and check the PCV.
Old 20 May 2017, 12:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Okay, yesterdays efforts include:
1. Checked all vacuum lines (that I could find)
2. Replaced pcv valve
3. Pulled the throttle body and thoroughly cleaned it and the IAC

No change... To my thinking, it's not timing or spark because for the second or two that it runs after starting, it sounds great. No misfire, backfire or rough idle (granted it doesn't idle more than a second). Please feel free to correct my thinking on any of this!
Does anyone have an idea for what to try next? I'm a little on the desperate side and I can't afford to put it in the shop...
Old 22 May 2017, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

since it ran great with the air box disconnected and not with everything installed (and you know there are restrictions in the air inlet or a bad air filter) I would double check that there are not some wires that got moved around during the removal and installation of the air box.
Old 27 May 2017, 05:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Hi all!
So, still no progress. Since my last post I went ahead and replaced the IAC unit did my best to double check all electrical connections and vacuum lines. Still nothing. Here in a little while I will add a video link so you can hear exactly what I'm stalking about when it starts and stalls.
I have really run out of ideas on what to check next so any advice is welcome! Also, as I mentioned before I'm a complete noob when it comes to testing the fuel pressure and I could really use some specifics on things like the bast place to hook up the gauge and what the hell kind of connector I need to have for the 06 model. I will never understand why they got rid of the simple connector at the end of the fuel rail that the older models had!
Thanks in advance, Me