Advertisements
New PCM? (P1490 code)

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2017, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: New PCM? (P1490 code)

Quote:
The inova should at least reset the DTC for at least a start and short idle before the ECU reactivates it for a issue. If it does not then you may a ECU issue
Thanks for your information.

When using the Innova, I can clear the code while the key is in the on position and the Innova replies that the code was successfully cleared. But immediately after clearing, you can see the CEL blink for a few seconds, then remain on and DTC P1490 reappears to the Innova. The Innova reports a failure to clear codes when the engine is running.

When using the key dance, I will get the same (p1490) code, then the CEL will blink for a few seconds, then remain on. Key dance again and the same code (P1940) appears. I'll stop using this method for now per your suggestion.

Oh, and ECU (Engine Control Unit)=PCM (Powertrain Control Module), right?

Last edited by CRPerryJr; 18 May 2017 at 09:10 am.
Old 18 May 2017, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRPerryJr View Post
Hi folks, and thanks for all the help you have been so far. I need an educated opinion on my conclusion before I drop a few hundred additional bucks on a new to me 2001 PT Cruiser (Non-turbo 2.4) with 178,000 miles that is currently in "limp home mode".

The temperature sensor did not work when I got it, so I replaced it and the thermostat. I now get a temperature reading.

I received a P1490 error and tested the Radiator Cooling Assembly and found that the low speed side did not work. I have also never gotten the High speed side to work normally either, but it did test ok at the radiator plug. So,

1. I replaced the assembly, reset the code, and I still get the P1490 error, and the fan still doesn't power up as it should.
2. I tested the new fan at the radiator plug and the new fan tests good on both the low and high speed side.
3. So I checked continuity to every wire connecting to the fan (all 3), which is good.
4. I checked the relay on the low speed side. Applying 12v to the Radiator Fan Relay Control circuit (at the relay) and the relay clicks and the fan powers on.
5. So I remove relay and check continuity from PCM connector 2 pin 55 to Radiator Fan Relay Control circuit at the relay and it is good.
6. Reinsert relay and apply 12v to PCM connector 2 pin 55, and the relay clicks and the fan turns on. ( I also did this to pin 69 to test the high speed side and that works as well.)
7. Checked and cleaned the connectors to the PCM with electrical cleaner, pins all look good.
8. Put everything back together, clear the codes, and P1490 reappears and the fan does not work. (And I'm still in Limp Home Mode.)

Is it time for a new PCM? Does Limp home mode prevent the fan from working?

Thanks for your help!
Are you getting any codes for the limp mode?

If not I would suggest pulling the wire going to the camshaft sensor and see if a code is triggered for the camshaft sensor.
Old 18 May 2017, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Are you getting any codes for the limp mode?
The only code I was getting is the P1490. But new development:

I took it for a short drive to see if maybe running it around the subdivision may help figure things out. I left my code reader connected and was watching the live data while I drive. It's still in limp home mode, but 2 more codes came up. P0700 (TCM request) and P1495 (LDP Solenoid). My scanner is supposed to be able to read the transmission DTCs, but was unable to communicate with the TCM.

Quote:
If not I would suggest pulling the wire going to the camshaft sensor and see if a code is triggered for the camshaft sensor.
I pulled the connection to the camshaft sensor and got a P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor Malfunction), so I believe that is the expected result. I plugged it back in and I cleared all codes again with my Innova, and the P1490 (Low Speed Radiator Fan) and P1495 (LDP Solenoid) are the only codes remaining at the moment, but I haven't driven it again. I did run it through the gears, and it still feels the same (Clunk into Drive or Reverse) and the RPMs still don't go over 3500 before the engine limiter kicks in.
Old 18 May 2017, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you take your PT Cruiser to a transmission repair shop where they can tell you what the transmission codes are that is triggering the generic transmission code P0700. Some shops will give you an idea of what the problem might be and a free estimate. I got my transmission codes for free at a transmission shop near where I live but because I still had a warranty I took my PT Cruiser back to the dealer to take care of it.
Old 18 May 2017, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On your radiator fan issue P1490 I would suggest checking all the plugs going to the PCM. Check to make sure all contacts are good.

Check the fuse #5 in the under the hood fuse box. 40 amp fuse.

Check the fuse #12 in the fuse box under the dash. 10 amp fuse.
Fk5 and imickey503 like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 May 2017 at 11:23 am.
Old 18 May 2017, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I recommend that you re-peat the Innova reset/clear but turn the key completely off and remove it from the ignition between resetting procedures and do the procedure at least twice before starting the engine.

Many Diagnostic Tools/devises will show reset or clear but sometimes only internally depending on how your procedure to clear them is used. It is not as straight forward all the time as clear reset and you are good to go.
Fk5 and ptcruisersteve like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 May 2017, 11:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I recommend that you re-peat the Innova reset/clear but turn the key completely off and remove it from the ignition between resetting procedures and do the procedure at least twice before starting the engine.

Many Diagnostic Tools/devises will show reset or clear but sometimes only internally depending on how your procedure to clear them is used. It is not as straight forward all the time as clear reset and you are good to go.

Good to know!
Old 18 May 2017, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! This fuse was blown! I replaced it and cleared the codes per NitroPT's recommendations, and VIOLA! No more codes, the fan works, and I can drive normally again!! You all rock!! Thank you! thank you! thank you!!!
Old 30 Nov 2020, 05:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to imickey503 Send a message via Yahoo to imickey503

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
On your radiator fan issue P1490 I would suggest checking all the plugs going to the PCM. Check to make sure all contacts are good.

Check the fuse #5 in the under the hood fuse box. 40 amp fuse.

So its 2020. almost 2021. I was about to order a new computer today which I may still have to do but here's the thing.

I followed the link to the post about checking the fuses in the relays and I found something amazing.

I am literally the most accident-prone stupid a smart person in the world. or maybe I am the stupidest person in the world who owns a PT Cruiser but enough of that more on this:
https://fuse-box.info/chrysler/chrys...001-2010-fuses

FUSE BOX INFO.org

as I'm looking down the page I realize that there are some relays for the headlights that I have missed well check it out in my car I don't have any relays in any of the locations below

the important thing to know are these fuse box locations:

№ Amp/Color Items Fused
  • 1 25 Amp/ Natural Headlamp Switch
  • 2 15 Amp/Blue Exterior Lighting
  • 3 20 Amp/ Yellow RKE/Door Locks
  • 4 20 Amp/ Yellow Power Height Adjust
  • 5 10 Amp/Red Airbag Run Only
  • 6 10 Amp/Red B/U Electric Back Light (EBL) NEU SAF
  • 7 25 Amp/ Natural HVAC Blower
  • 8 15 Amp/Blue Fog Lamp (Domestic Only)
  • 9 10 Amp/Red Airbag Run-ST
  • 10 10 Amp/Red Cluster/RKE/SKIM
  • 11 10 Amp/Red Engine Module/ABS-TRAC
  • 12 10 Amp/Red PDC Relays/LDP
  • 13 10 Amp/Red Interior Lighting
  • 14 20 Amp/ Yellow Sunroof/Overhead Console/Radio
  • 15 20 Amp/ Yellow Wipers/Comb. FLS
  • 16 10 Amp/Red Auto Stick/Ignition Off/ Run
  • 17 15 Amp/Blue Heated Seats
  • 18 10 Amp/Red Heated Mirrors
  • 19 10 Amp/Red Rt Headlamp
  • 20 10 Amp/Red Lt Headlamp
  • CB1 25 Amp Circuit Breaker Headlamp Switch
  • CB2 20 Amp Circuit Breaker Power Window
  • R1 LHD: Headlamp;RHD: Heated Seat
  • R2 LHD: Heated Seat; RHD: Headlamp
  • R3 Not Used

turns out I'm missing fuses and relays so I'm going to try checking that out first tomorrow morning when I get to work and or at least at lunch and then after that I might actually have headlights on my car that operate from the new headlamp stock I installed.

after that it's on to basically go ahead and try to fix the fan if I still need to order the computer for the fan I will but I have a funny little thing that it's probably me missing some fuses and stuff like that.

this should probably be in its own thread but I wanted to go ahead and say thank you for this little bit of encouragement.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint.
Canadian spec car imported to the states.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.