PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Airbag problem - light and chime keep coming on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to cruiserbabe4
Default Airbag problem - light and chime keep coming on

Hi all. New to this forum; found you in a search for possible info on a problem I'm having w/my 2001 Limited Edition. The airbag light [and chime, aarrggghhh!] keep randomly coming on. I can't see any pattern that's setting it off. Light comes on, chime happens, light stays on for up to a couple of minutes then goes out. Pause. Then it all starts again.

This car has never been in any accidents or anything. It did sit basically unused for nearly three years before I got it last Dec from original owner (w/2700 miles on )

Anyone have any thoughts on what's causing this and what it might mean? Do I have to get my wallet ready for a major hit?

Thanks!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Babe,

Since it sat for awhile, (a long while) there might be some condensation or something that's causing a short in the air-bag circuit. Don't think there's anything you can do (short of taking the fuse out...but don't do it) other than having a tech check it out. I wouldn't think it would be a major hit on the expense account. Maybe an hours worth of Tech time. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your reply, CREWZIN. Besides that it sat so long, it's been pretty rainy around here the last few days off and on. Could be a good idea! And I'm happy to know it might not be so much $$$. We're planning a trip in it over the 4th, and it's supposed to rain all over the East Coast, so I guess I'd better see if I can get this in to be looked at before we go. Sigh... []
Old 29 Jun 2004, 11:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

IMHO The light is there to warn you and your Cruiser should be looked at by a dealer ASAP. It could be something simple but you don't want an airbag going off in your face or not working when it should.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 12:22 am
Cool Cruiser

It may not be related:

My '97 Caravan was recalled for a "steering wheel spring"
Its the spring that maintains contact for the stuff in the wheel itself to the colum.

One of the symptoms was that your Airbag light would come on.

Its possible that your spring has... sprung
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 30 Jun 2004, 09:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by technobear

It may not be related:

My '97 Caravan was recalled for a "steering wheel spring"
Its the spring that maintains contact for the stuff in the wheel itself to the colum.

One of the symptoms was that your Airbag light would come on.

Its possible that your spring has... sprung
There was a "clock spring" problem with '01 PTs - mainly a clicking noise, but the clock spring is what you're referring to - it's a possible culprit.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jun 2004, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for these useful suggestions. Gives me a direction to try to point tech people in.

Cheers!
Old 20 Jul 2004, 09:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

My airbag light came on the other day. Took it over to the dealer after reading these posts. The dealer asked if my car was in an accident, the answer was no, not in the least. Then they checked it and decided a needed the replacement of the passenger module for the total cost of $700, which I think is unreasonable. Why do they have to replace the entire passenger module when the airbags have not been deployed. Can't they fix the short or wiring or whatever? I'm looking for an alternative fix. Anyway the dealer charged me $81.00 to diagnose the problem. I have a bumper to bumper warranty which did not cover one penney.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,
Old 20 Jul 2004, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, accents.
I agree with you - replacement of the passenger module sounds like way too much overkill - unless they claim the bag is somehow defective. How can a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty NOT cover it? [:I]
Whose warranty is it? Chrysler?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jul 2004, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PTNeo

I have the same problem, while i drive, i think im being hypnotized from hearing that airbag chime go ding ding ding. Mine did not start going off untill i put in my sound system. 3 12inch infinity kappas on a 1500 1 channel mono amp. this system hits HARD! could the vibration possibly be a contributing factor ?
!$NEO$! 2001 PT Cruizer Limited Edition, Intake vortex, Cold Air intake, Headers, Cherry Bomb with dual lake pipes,Gold Line Lowering Springs, Old school Bomb Rear Lights, Infinity Head unit, 4 TV\'s, Playstation, DVD, 2 MTX mono Amps, 1500 Watts Each, 3 12\'inch Infinity Kappas.