PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need Opinion on PCM Replacement

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2017, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Need Opinion on PCM Replacement

I've been having a carbon-copy problem with my 2004 Turbo as outlined in this thread ....

P0032 P0038

Having replaced the O2 sensors and a number of other things, I've deduced I should replace the PCM module. A new one from the dealer is out of the question price-wise. Would you recommend finding one at an auto wrecker and have the dealer flash it for my car or would either of these two places be recommended ? ....

2004 04 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo PCM ECU ECM engine computer or engine control module

Or ....

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser PCM ECM ECU Engine Computer (Turbo)

Price IS important, but you get what you pay for can also come into play. Anyone have experience with either of the places I've linked to ?

Thanks for any insight,
Mark.
Old 21 May 2017, 04:25 pm
Banned

Default Re: Need Opinion on PCM Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by markroach View Post
I've been having a carbon-copy problem with my 2004 Turbo as outlined in this thread ....

P0032 P0038

Having replaced the O2 sensors and a number of other things, I've deduced I should replace the PCM module. A new one from the dealer is out of the question price-wise. Would you recommend finding one at an auto wrecker and have the dealer flash it for my car or would either of these two places be recommended ? ....

2004 04 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo PCM ECU ECM engine computer or engine control module

Or ....

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser PCM ECM ECU Engine Computer (Turbo)

Price IS important, but you get what you pay for can also come into play. Anyone have experience with either of the places I've linked to ?

Thanks for any insight,
Mark.
I recently got a PCM for my PT off ebay from your second choice. Mine was only $150 but then again I have the NA, yours is a turbo. Your second choice is the same price through their website or their ebay ad:

2004 2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER TURBO Engine Computer Module ECM PCM ECU PlugNPlay

For my PT, it was $50 cheaper going through their ebay ad, than their website, but it still carries the same lifetime warranty. They programmed it to the VIN and it was truly plugNplay. Chrysler wanted $1200 for a replacement PCM, and theirs are remanufactured, too. No complaints so far.

They do have the Make Offer button on their ebay ad, make an offer for say $50 less than their ad, they might just accept it. If not, then the worst you would pay is $495.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 21 May 2017 at 05:15 pm.
Old 21 May 2017, 04:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Couple of real important things for members responding in this thread with help.

1) Turbo PT Cruiser
2) He is in CANADA

Mark you may want to read this thread?

Changed both O2 sensors and still getting their codes.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 May 2017, 04:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just a heads up, the first link, which you can see at the bottom of the website, is really Imperial Car Computer Exchange. I googled that name and didn't find many positive reviews on yelp etc.

Many people on the forum have used the second link, ACR, and have reported good results. I haven't used them myself, just passing along my observations.
Old 21 May 2017, 05:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Couple of real important things for members responding in this thread with help.

1) Turbo PT Cruiser
2) He is in CANADA

Mark you may want to read this thread?

Changed both O2 sensors and still getting their codes.
Since I'm the only member that has posted a reply before yours, I can assume that you are referring to my post.

Um, the ad I posted from ebay for All Computer Resources, Inc., which by the way was one of your recommendations in another thread, the PCM is for a 2004 Turbo, the same as what the OP has, and they will ship to Canada.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 21 May 2017 at 05:17 pm.
Old 21 May 2017, 07:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Imperial Car Computer EXchange AKA Car Computer Exchange
Is a company I bought a repaired computer from with a 1 year
warranty for my NA PT.
Probably 4 exchanges latter (first three did not work out of the Box) within about
6 weeks they said my warranty was up and they would not send another. When I
asked about the 1 year warranty I was told it was only good for 1 replacement.
Luck would be short lived, the last one they sent lasted about 8 months and it also quit.
I end up buying a skim-PCM-Key with cylinder from ebay that is still running the car.
I would stay away from Imperial AKA Car Computer Exchange
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car computer pt.jpg (21.3 KB, 12 views)
myckee likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 21 May 2017 at 07:37 pm.
Old 21 May 2017, 10:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys. This has been more frustrating than I can imagine. For some of the back story, see here ....

Misfire and Flashing Engine Light

To date, I've installed new plugs and wires, all grounds have been inspected and cleaned, Fuel system / pressure checked, new OEM O2 sensors were installed last week as the ones in it were not OEM and were suspect. Lasted six days and the car again died throwing up the exact same codes again. The O2 heater circuit shouldn't throw up an error code (?) after driving it for more than an hour if it was actually a faulty O2 sensor .... let alone both of them.

I bought this car less than a year ago from a used car lot and through a bit of sleuthing, managed to find the original owner. He informed me he had the car at HIS dealership numerous times for the same problem. They finally threw their hands in the air and gave up on it. That's when HE got rid of it. Unfortunately, I married the problem and have to deal with it.

I love the car, but am truly afraid to drive it any distance for fear of it quitting again. I haven't been able to go more than a month since I bought it without having to repeat the same scenario over and over again.

So, should I bite the bullet and order a new PCM ? - I'm thinking so at this point based on everything I've been reading. Just getting tired of throwing money at this car only to have the same trouble keep cropping up over and over.

As for being in Canada, that's a non-issue as I have a shipping address in Michigan that I have parts shipped to.

Mark.
Old 22 May 2017, 01:06 am
Senior Cruiser

I'd check your grounds, starting with the o2 connector near the sensor to ground. These should be constant grounds engine on or off.
If you find a ground at the connector near the sensor, move (wiggle) the ground on the left fender to see if there any changes.
If you decide to go the route of replacing you have above choices or ebay or
Try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and select a yard near where you can get to to collect the the PCM-Skim-Ignition cylinder and Keys and Vin if possible
I replaced the above parts in my NA to repair a NO Crank-NO start without programming
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 22 May 2017 at 01:26 am.
Old 22 May 2017, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Just a heads up, the first link, which you can see at the bottom of the website, is really Imperial Car Computer Exchange. I googled that name and didn't find many positive reviews on yelp etc.

Many people on the forum have used the second link, ACR, and have reported good results. I haven't used them myself, just passing along my observations.
Why is it you must knock companies you never have done buisnes with. This is not the first time with you doing this on his forum.
Have you personally used either? NOPE!
I would not rule my life on what the intent says...more intelligent people dont really use it for accurate reported information sources!

We have used the ones recommended on several occasions. While any rebuilt PCM or ECU may not work it is part of the ecu rebuilding business with all of them. Even some of the most respected Flight Systems will tell you that they have many failed rebuilt PCM in the field.

Both of these companies have served us with great customer service and in the end we have always been taken care of.
Read this thread for suggested companies for PT Cruiser PCM replacements.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...eir-codes.html

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 May 2017 at 09:53 am.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Why is it you must knock companies you never have done buisnes with. This is not the first time with you doing this on his forum.
Have you personally used either? NOPE!
I would not rule my life on what the intent says...more intelligent people dont really use it for accurate reported information sources!

We have used the ones recommended on several occasions. While any rebuilt PCM or ECU may not work it is part of the ecu rebuilding business with all of them. Even some of the most respected Flight Systems will tell you that they have many failed rebuilt PCM in the field.

Both of these companies have served us with great customer service and in the end we have always been taken care of.
Read this thread for suggested companies for PT Cruiser PCM replacements.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...eir-codes.html
Exactly. Intelligent people would completely discount all of the "rah rah rah go company X" that you do on this forum continually, despite the many contradictory reports. Have you forgotten all of us are reading your nonsense here on the internet too? LOL

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 May 2017 at 09:55 am.