Advertisements
03 pt a/c problems

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2017, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 pt a/c problems

Hi I am new here first post.
We have an '03 pt Cruiser, actually my wifes car, anyway we had works done at a dealership, timing belt, MFS, valve cover gasket, cost $1850.00 total. There were a couple things I could have done myself but we decided to get them done along with the timing belt etc.
So, a little while after we got the car back, we noticed the a/c didnt work anymore, we called the shop and they said they would look and see if it was there fault or ours. Took it in and they said it was something that wasnt their fault and that they wanted $500 to fix it. We decided against paying to fix it. We are quite po'ed about the situation because they a/c has worked fine ever since we bought the car. They said it had a leak in the a/c system.
I have never tried to fix a/c on a car before.
So, I went and bought a refill kit with a leak sealer in it. That kit didnt have a gauge in it. I kept adding freon to it and kept checking to see if the a/c got cold and it never did. Then I read about overfilling and that it might make the system not work. I bought a refill line with a gauge in it and sure enough it was in the red. I bled most of it out, mostly air and some liquid, still not working.
The low side is full and at proper pressure, but I cant hear the clutch on the compressor engaging.
Could it be the a bad pressure switch? Are there fuses to check somewhere? I looked at the fuse panel inside and none said anything about being for the a/c system.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 26 May 2017, 04:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 pt a/c problems

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

When they said it wasn't something that they did, did they say what the problem is? If they were going to charge $500 they should have told you what you were paying for. You can do the timing belt without disconnecting the A/C, although you are working all over and around it. Very easy to break a connector or move a line enough to discharge the system. If it was working when you took it in but not when you picked it up, I would wonder. You also did not say how long it was before you noticed that the A/C wasn't working, day, week month?

Please go to the new member section and introduce yourself and tell us more about your ride. Maybe include a picture.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 26 May 2017, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They said there was a leak in the system and had to change one of the lines, the notes also said it was at 45 psi and that was low, but my gauge says that is close to being too much pressure. It was probably about a month before she tried the a/c after the work was done, it had been cool and rainy here for quite a while and just lately has been warming up.
I will have to get a picture of it to post in the new member section.
Old 26 May 2017, 05:54 pm
Banned

Your dealership should have followed the Service Manual for changing the timing belt. One of the steps is to evacuate the a/c system to disconnect it, then recharge the system. So the a/c system should have worked when you got it back from their work.

Please look on your invoice to see if they itemized anything about the a/c system? My dealership did on my invoice after their timing belt work.

Since they were the last ones working in that area, when they disconnected the lines they may have damaged a seal. You are still under the warranty for their work, but you may now have voided that warranty since you have attempted to charge the system.

They can put a dye in the a/c system and find out exactly where it's leaking from, if it's from where they worked, then I would think that they should have some responsibility. Have them show you exactly where it's leaking from and what line needs to be replaced. They should have provided you with an itemized invoice of the repairs that they are suggesting.
Old 26 May 2017, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Your dealership should have followed the Service Manual for changing the timing belt. One of the steps is to evacuate the a/c system to disconnect it, then recharge the system. So the a/c system should have worked when you got it back from their work.

Please look on your invoice to see if they itemized anything about the a/c system? My dealership did on my invoice after their timing belt work.

Since they were the last ones working in that area, when they disconnected the lines they may have damaged a seal. You are still under the warranty for their work, but you may now have voided that warranty since you have attempted to charge the system.

They can put a dye in the a/c system and find out exactly where it's leaking from, if it's from where they worked, then I would think that they should have some responsibility. Have them show you exactly where it's leaking from and what line needs to be replaced. They should have provided you with an itemized invoice of the repairs that they are suggesting.
The original invoice notes do not say anything about the a/c. The last one states that the a/c lines were not touched or removed during timing belt replace. says high pressure hose leaks at compressor area.
The car is a non turbo automatic.
Is it worth putting in a new low pressure switch to see if that fixes it?

Last edited by 03ptouring; 26 May 2017 at 06:28 pm.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ptouring View Post
The original invoice notes do not say anything about the a/c. The last one states that the a/c lines were not touched or removed during timing belt replace. says high pressure hose leaks at compressor area.
The car is a non turbo automatic.
Is it worth putting in a new low pressure switch to see if that fixes it?
It appears to me that your dealership did not follow the Service Manual for the timing belt replacement work on your PT.

You can get a copy of the manual from post #1 in this link:

Free 01-04 PT cruiser shop manual

On page 9 - 225 it states:

"(10) Discharge A/C system and disconnect A/C lines at coupling block (Refer to 24 - HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)."

Some have not disconnected the a/c system to do the timing belt work, but your dealership should be following the Service Manual.

I think you need to talk to the Service Manager, Dealership Manager, Dealership Owner or Chrysler Customer Assistance.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
It appears to me that your dealership did not follow the Service Manual for the timing belt replacement work on your PT.

You can get a copy of the manual from post #1 in this link:

Free 01-04 PT cruiser shop manual

On page 9 - 225 it states:

"(10) Discharge A/C system and disconnect A/C lines at coupling block (Refer to 24 - HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING - STANDARD PROCEDURE)."

Some have not disconnected the a/c system to do the timing belt work, but your dealership should be following the Service Manual.

I think you need to talk to the Service Manager, Dealership Manager, Dealership Owner or Chrysler Customer Assistance.
WOW! thanks for that.
Their customer service person actually called us to see if we had a positive experience at our last visit. I didnt talk to them we werent here they left a message.
When I dropped off the car the second time, the service guy said it might cost 50-75$ for the inspection/testing which I signed for. When I went to pick up the car they tried to charge me $160 something, I told him I only signed to authorize the 50-75 and they readjusted it. So it was definitely not a positive experience.
Old 26 May 2017, 07:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
WOW! thanks for that.
Their customer service person actually called us to see if we had a positive experience at our last visit. I didnt talk to them we werent here they left a message.
When I dropped off the car the second time, the service guy said it might cost 50-75$ for the inspection/testing which I signed for. When I went to pick up the car they tried to charge me $160 something, I told him I only signed to authorize the 50-75 and they readjusted it. So it was definitely not a positive experience.
The best evidence that you have that they didn't follow the Service Manual is their second invoice where they stated that the a/c lines were not disconnected for the timing belt work. I'm surprised they would put that in writing.

As I said previously, some have been able to replace the timing belt without disconnecting the a/c system, but it may have taken them longer to do the job as you have to be careful not to cause any damage. But a dealership should not be cutting corners, that's why you go to them, they are supposed to be the experts.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

I didnt get too far contacting the service manager.
Anyway, put in a new low pressure side switch and the a/c works again.
JDK52 likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 10:43 am
Banned

Quote:
I didnt get too far contacting the service manager.
Anyway, put in a new low pressure side switch and the a/c works again.
Did the dealership install the switch or did you have it done somewhere else?

If it was the switch, then their initial diagnosis if a bad line for $500 was incorrect?