PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help. Mechanic Blocked Off EGR Valve after Timing Belt Replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2017, 11:02 am
Young Cruiser

Default Need help. Mechanic Blocked Off EGR Valve after Timing Belt Replacement?

My son had his timing belt replaced by a "so called" mechanic on his 2001 PT Cruiser N/A. We brought him all the parts but for some reason he used a 2003+ timing belt kit and gave us back the 2001 gates timing belt kit.

His gas mileage has plummeted big time to like 10/12 MPG. We did find after snooping under the hood countless times that the EGR was blocked off with a homemade cardboard block off gasket. We removed the block off and still no luck getting MPGs back.

I know the 2003+ PT's had no EGR where as the 2001-2002 did. Again, not sure why he used the 2003+ timing belt kit but I "think" whatever reason he plugged the EGR is why the MPG's have suffered tremendously ever since he got the car back. Of course the mechanic is nowhere to be found.

I'm trying to figure out why he would have plugged the EGR valve after the timing belt change and would like to reverse it if possible.

Could really use some help on this one guys! My son is a couple hours away so I would like to be armed and ready to get this finished up for him.

CarDomain Page
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/392318...sport-wagon-4d

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 May 2017 at 11:39 am.
Old 27 May 2017, 11:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: WTF? Mechanic Blocked Off EGR Valve after Timing Belt Replacement?

There's possibly two differences in the newer timing belt kit. At one point the belt tensioner was changed and the top part of the cover was a little different. When my mechanic used the kit I brought him for my 2001 he had to slightly modify the cover to make it fit. He made no reference to a different kind of tensioner. Neither of these would make a difference in gas mileage.

You said you took off the block from the EGR and made no difference in your son's mileage so something else might have been moved or altered. Do you still have the EGR pipe in the back of the upper manifold?

...and is it still connected at the bottom to the EGR valve?

He shouldn't have gone near it but check the PCV valve.
Old 27 May 2017, 04:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Need help. Mechanic Blocked Off EGR Valve after Timing Belt Replacement?

I would want to know what trouble codes are stored. EGR it's more for emissions and has little to no effect on MPG. i think your MPG problem lies elsewhere.
Old 27 May 2017, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help. Mechanic Blocked Off EGR Valve after Timing Belt Replacement?

Yep,

If me, I'd do like Rob suggested and read whatever trouble code I have. Then I'd use my code reader to clear the codes, drive the car until the check engine light returns and then read the codes again. This will likely help tell the story.

I'd also be questioning that mechanic really hard to tell exactly why he blocked off the EGR.
Old 28 May 2017, 04:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds to me like it's not timed correctly.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.